Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best powder dispenser for Unique using a Loadmaster?

I use unique, in my Dillon powder measures, at 6.0 grains. I also use Titewad, in 3.3 grains. both measure consistantly. I have noted that it does take some time to get it set up, but once it is there, I don't have any problems. The dillons, have baffles installed in them already.
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Mold
    I'm still having some variation on my RCBS powder measure on 5.8 gr of unique for 9mm. But I only have about 1.5" of powder in the hopper. Maybe more will compress it and throw better. Ill try that to see if it changes.

I'm about to turn 2 pounds of unique into fertilizer. I have tried, off of the press, the lee dispenser, and the rcbs uniflow. Both are varying .5 grains. I have used a balance scale, and a digital scale to measure the drops. I will get 4 or 5 drops with a +- .2 or .3 grains, then I will get a +.5. It always seems to be over. I also tried the vibrator motor on the dispenser, didn't work. What am I doing wrong? I think all my powders are flake powders. I am extremly frustrated.

Ok, ignore the previous post.

I decided to eliminate any variables.
    Found the problem. It was my AC. It must have been causing enough air flow to screw up my scales. So, my trusty lee pro with the meter is working fine. Now to rebuild my load master.

Thanks for all the help guys. I would have given up with out your help.

Boolit Master
    Joe,

24 posts! To find out your scale will not settle because of the AC!: "You're killing me, Smalls! "

That is pretty funny!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I use the Hornady LNL Powder measure with the small drum.

I find it to be very satisfactory with Unique.

see:

http://reloadingtips.com/reviews/hor...er-measure.htm

Note that whatever measure you use you must use the pistol drum
    nothing is going to be consistent with a large drum designed to throw rifle charges.

My experience exactly. This is the best solution.

Boolit Master

I never load near max loads on a progressive and all 3 of my disk measures work well enough with unique, but then I normally load in the 4-5gr levels.

I have the Pro Auto Disk on a Lee Classic Turret and throw Unique +/- .1 grain all the time.

Maybe the spinning of the powder measure helps to keep things from settling?

However I'm looking to get the adjustable charge bar so I can dial in my loads instead of being stuck, really don't want to modify existing cavities.

Vendor Sponsor

I used a Dillon 550 on my Load Master with their powder funnel for .45 and it works better than ANY Lee powder measure ever made.

I had an EAB billet aluminum charge bar back in the 1980s that was the cat's meow for a Lee auto disc, these things haven't been made in forever but my son made me an ultra precise CNC machined copy of one from a forum member's photos and measurements, and this setup has ran the Dillon off the press and back into it's box! This is the kind of setup you need for finicky powders. No staticy plastic and a very oval shaped metering chamber.

Edit: I use a MTM digital scale, you simply cannot breathe on one of these scales and cannot use one with a fan running in the room even on low. They are that sensitive.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I love all the powder dispenser innovations this post has. I'm with the other guys. If the powder measure you have won't dispense the powder you want, modify/upgrade it until it will. If it can't be modified, then buy yourself another brand that can and will dispense the powder you want. In the long run, you'll find the extra expense to be of little or no concern, because you'll gain time saved, accurate measurements and enough powder measures to make your changeovers even quicker and easier, because you already have the powder measure setup from the last time you used it. BTW, brand doesn't matter, performance does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12