Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best powder dispenser for Unique using a Loadmaster?

Best powder dispenser for Unique using a Loadmaster?

I am about to get a Lee Loadmaster, and want to replace the lee powder dispenser. I have one now on my pro 1000, and its inconsistent. I'm using Unique, and I don't think the flake powder is fitting well with that dispenser.

Any ideas what I should go with?

Boolit Grand Master

I have a total of six powder measures. The only two that I trust Unique in are the B&M and a Pacific Pistol Power Measure, which uses bushings to measure the powder. In every other powder measure Unique has bound up or otherwise blocked the channels through which it moves from the measure to the case, thus giving light and heavy loads.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Joe, Unique is pretty fussy about volume measure. It packs down as you cycle the press rather slowly, so charges get lighter and then you bump it and it frees-up and you get a full charge and so on. A baffle in the powder hopper removes much of that variation, the ones that look sort of like a Pringle's potato chip with notches on the edges. That will probably let charges dropped from the Lee Pro Auto Disk be within a couple of tenths of a grain if you are dropping mid to large charges. Small charges, I just don't know; 5.5g is about as small as I have gone. Before I got the baffle, I used to rap the powder hopper with a pencil before each charge. That looked silly, but no one except me was look'n and it was consistent.

prs

Boolit Master
    Joe,
    What size disk cavity will you be using?
    How inconsistent are the charge weight?
    Is static an issue for you?

I run 4 Lee Safety Disk Measures and most of the time am +/- a tenth
    (On a Load Master, Turret Press, Pro 1000 Automator and a Manual Safety Disk)
    +1 on what PRS says about powder baffles and powder packing!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

I'm thinking it might be better to switch away from Unique.

I'm using the micrometer, not the discs for my lee powder measure.

The Lee Adjustable Charge Bar has known issues if you are trying to use it for small charges. See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?199662

If the issue is bridging and/or compression of the granules, a baffle may help and some folks have had success by fixing a vibrating device to the hopper; use your imagination where you might be able to source a small battery operated vibrating device

Maybe from a dead cell phone??

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Might want to try a pistol size measure. Unique is hard to meter. I use a Redding pistol measure that wokes as well as anything I've ever tried. I use a lot of Unique and it was just easier to have several measures with a small size just for pistols or smal rifle cases.

Boolit Man
    shooter93,

Which Redding pistol measure do you use?

Thanks, and best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Thanks for the info guys we can try it on the old press in town.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I think it's the BR-30 for pistols or small rifles. It made to throw from a couple grains up to 30 grains and then I have a 3BR I use for rifles. You can get it with a pistol chamber but I think the 30 works a bit better. I don't load max loads and with Unique if I was I'd weigh them all I think.

Boolit Master

I use the Hornady LNL Powder measure with the small drum.

I find it to be very satisfactory with Unique.

see:

http://reloadingtips.com/reviews/hor...er-measure.htm

Note that whatever measure you use you must use the pistol drum
    nothing is going to be consistent with a large drum designed to throw rifle charges.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Man
    shooter93,

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping it might have been the Redding 10X Competition measure. I would like to hear from someone who has used this measure with Unique.

What Cheer

Thanks for all the replys. This is a lot of good information.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I looked...it is the 10x WC. I don't think any measure is perfect with Unique....not even the Harrell's but the 10x works as good as any. I've seen any number of tests done with lots of measures. Technique and consistency is the most important I think. High to low I stay within 1 or 2 tenths which I think is the best you can expect with Unique.

Boolit Man
    shooter93,

Thanks again. My experience with Unique using several different brands of measures has been +/- .2 grain. Sometimes I can do a little better, but for the most part that's it.

I have never had the opportunity to try the 10X and was curious.

What Cheer

I have 2 Load Masters, on both I use the RCBS uniflow with case activated powder die. The Hornady powder die is about $20 less than the RCBS and works just as good. Also the Hornady has different expander bushings available for pistol cases. These work great with every powder I have used.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uniflow 001.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	81138
    Uniflow with Hornady case activated die
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uniflow 002.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	81139
    with RCBS case activated die

Boolit Master

Anything that's flaked and fluffy is tough to measure in small quantities. I had the same problem with several fluffy powders loading light charges. Heavier charges tend to be more consistent because of the increased volume in the rotor cavity. Not disagreeing with Williamwaco by the way. He's right about the pistol rotor being more consistent. I'm talking about 4 or 5 grains being harder to measure consistently than 10-12 grains.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Ok, first, thanks for the info. This has been a major help for me. Second, after an inventory of powder, I need a different measure.

Any body have a case activated powder drop for cheap?

Boolit Master
    I use a Dillon to measure Unique and it works. I believe if the progressive is mounted without flexing, and operated smoothly as possible and consistently, most priming and powder measure woes go to the wayside. I have loaded 38 spl up to 45 colt with Unique with great consistency. The other case mounted measure I have is a JDS QM and it has no problems either.

Personally, I would check to see if your press is mounted well without flexing by pushing it with your hand in forward and back direction. Second I would use another person watch you operate it to see if it operates smoothly without jerking, etc.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I have heard that Unique wont meter properly. I use the RCBS powder measure and have had no problems in this respect. When I fill the measure I tap the hopper and settle the powder until it stops. Then throw a few charges and set the correct charge. Been using Unique since 1972 and still do.