Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swaging Accessories

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lcecil View Post
    2 washers and a bolthead worked great for the first 2 RC presses. Easy to add more washers, if needed, or even remove them.
    Attachment 82558Attachment 82559
    Nut goes into a pocket in the plastic. The bolt is short enough that it can not touch the ram, even with no washers. Spent primers don't drop through this area, at least for 223 or pistol cases. Adjustable for any press variations, but not critical. Still takes 3 hours to print, but the printer does not need to sleep!
    Awesome, Lon! I've got this queued into my print schedule and should have one done within the next day!

Boolit Buddy

Core Shaker Available!

In case you're not following along in the "Faster way of seating cores thread", I am now offering the .224 Core Shaker for sale. More details in that thread, or at www.reloadingcreations.com.

Boolit Buddy

Decap w/ Bolt

I got Lon's latest revision of the decap tray printed; it holds nice & tight against the ram. Here are a couple of photos:

Boolit Buddy
    If anyone was holding off on getting one of Lon's awesome decap / primer catching assemblies because they just aren't quite sexy enough, wait no longer...

Most of us are probably more interested in function over form, and this one definitely works much better than the substandard item that comes with RockChuckers. What's not to love - no more primers on the floor (they're routed through a hose into your container of choice). But, if you're interested in looks, this photo may convince you that you need one on your press .

Like a couple of the other pieces I've shown, this was treated to a short bath in acetone vapor.

Boolit Buddy

Yessir, this one works on EVERY primer. I haven't had to sweep the spent primers up since I bought one of these. Really a great little improvement for the RC

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Buddy
    Ricklaut sent me one of his RCBS primer catchers a few weeks ago but life got it the way of reloading until recently. Sorry to not have pictures but OMG!!! Thank you for a great product and a clean table and floor. It's like night and day from what I'm (along with others) are used to...this catcher works flawlessly!
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    Ricklaut sent me one of his RCBS primer catchers a few weeks ago but life got it the way of reloading until recently. Sorry to not have pictures but OMG!!! Thank you for a great product and a clean table and floor. It's like night and day from what I'm (along with others) are used to...this catcher works flawlessly!
    Glad to hear it's working great for you and you're enjoying a clean, primer free floor / bench!

Boolit Buddy
    Good morning, folks -

I've been pretty absent for the past month as I've been dealing with health issues and keeping up with the demands of my career. Several forum members have reached out (thank you!) and I've filled a couple of orders for 3D printed accessories that originated here (appreciate the support!). While I don't have any major updates to share yet, the printer is running flawlessly and I've had moments here & there to learn a few new things.

Looking back, I didn't mention here that Lon (lcecil) and I had the chance to meet in-person over a cup of coffee as he drove through Las Vegas on his U.S. tour ( ). If you haven't followed this whole thread, Lon is the inventor of the primer catcher you see in the pics above; he made it available, encouraged its proliferation and (as an experienced 3D printer, designer, shooter, reloader) has been TONS of help. We get a chance to meet each other virtually in forums like this, but rarely do we get to meet face-to-face - it was awesome to spend a little time with Lon and put a face to the name! It was in the days right after we met that my health took a nose dive & gave me the opportunity to spend (way too much) time bonding with my doctor.

If you need anything... don't hesitate!

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    glad you are doing better rick! keep us posted on your work

Boolit Buddy
    Based on interest from a customer, I've been working on a version of the Swaging Catch Tray that will fit BT's auto-eject system for RCBS presses. Although the Lee version fits, there are a few issues with clearance that make it less than optimal. This RCBS-specific version will go to the printer tonight! More soon, along with photos!

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    if you own an RCBS RC press you owe it to yourself to spend $15 and get this item!!! works like a dream, very satisfied, great product rick ...

Quote Originally Posted by ricklaut View Post
    If anyone was holding off on getting one of Lon's awesome decap / primer catching assemblies because they just aren't quite sexy enough, wait no longer...

Most of us are probably more interested in function over form, and this one definitely works much better than the substandard item that comes with RockChuckers. What's not to love - no more primers on the floor (they're routed through a hose into your container of choice). But, if you're interested in looks, this photo may convince you that you need one on your press .

Like a couple of the other pieces I've shown, this was treated to a short bath in acetone vapor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    if you own an RCBS RC press you owe it to yourself to spend $15 and get this item!!! works like a dream, very satisfied, great product rick ...
    Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it!

Rick,
    Count me in for a primer catcher assembly. PM inbound.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim Sojourner View Post
    Rick,
    Count me in for a primer catcher assembly. PM inbound.
    Got it - details sent. Thanks!

Rick,
    Thanks so much. Your primer catcher is a "must have" accessory for the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press!
    Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim Sojourner View Post
    Rick,
    Thanks so much. Your primer catcher is a "must have" accessory for the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press!
    Tim
    Awesome! Glad you're happy with it. The credit for the design goes to lcecil!

Boolit Master

Pm inbound on buying both. These look great!!!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    Pm inbound on buying both. These look great!!!
    PM replied - thanks!

Boolit Buddy

Testing Improved Products

First, THANK YOU to all that have purchased swaging / reloading accessories from me over the past several months! Your interest and my desire to further improve the swaging process has led me to keep working on several improvements, and to continue using my 3D printer for this.

The point of most of the stuff I'm offering is to "work clean" and to keep pieces from falling onto the floor. They're a great aid to productivity as well!

This is an early preview - I am currently testing these items, but am not yet offering them for sale. I want to make sure they work as intended, and are durable enough for our use. I'd love your feedback based on what you're seeing here:

Improved Catch Tray:

The original catch tray works well, but after swaging several thousand .224 bullets with it on my press, I came to realize several things:
    * I wasn't maximizing the space within the "O" of the Lee press. Occasionally, cores or bullets would fall and miss the tray.
    * It's capacity is limited. I found that because of the front cutouts (needed to comfortably reach in and place a piece on the punch), real world capacity was about 150 pieces.
    * Emptying it could be easier. The original had a door on the back, which was lifted out to sweep the pieces into a container.

As you can see, the improved design addresses these three issues. It's a tighter fit to the "O" of the press (more capacity and fewer misses I hope), and it has trays into which the pieces fall or are swept. There is a slide out door in the bottom of both trays which allow the pieces to be dumped into a container almost effortlessly.

My main concern with this design is with the weight of the bullets in the front trays. Early testing (dumping a bunch of finished bullets in them) is encouraging, but I want to be sure.

Next... an improved "Bleed Tray".

My only complaint with the original version of this was that despite the rounded inside edge, emptying it of extruded lead meant reaching in, sweeping up and picking at piles of pieces. I added an exit ramp and a lift out (press fit) plastic door.

While I'm not concerned about the durability of this piece, I do want to use it a bit first to check usability.

If you have feedback based on what you're seeing here, let me know! If you're interested in one, let me know that too and I'll start a list. Again - I'm not quite ready to start producing these yet, but (assuming testing goes well) should be soon.

Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catch-Pan-Left-Front-624x468.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	96831

Could you make some ears that go between the catch tray and the bins, to help the cores not fall off the the sides when cleaning it out? Thats the only suggestion I got, otherwise they look great!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast