Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22LR must be made of gold now days

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    If you are willing to wait for it decent .22 ammo is available at a reasonable price. If you are qualified you can order it from the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

The CMP sells Aguila standard velocity at $260.00 plus $24.95 shipping per case of 5,000 rounds which is 5.7 cents per round delivered to your door (Alaska and Hawaii slightly higher).

They sell Aguila .22 Target for $385.00 plus $24.95 shipping per case of 5,000 rounds which is 8.2 cents per round delivered to your door (Alaska and Hawaii slightly higher).

The last case I got I ordered in February and I received it in August, I wasn't expecting it until October. They don't charge your credit card until they are ready to ship.

You will need to go through the CMP qualification process and file some paperwork but then you can order various types of ammunition, not just .22, targets, accessories, and even rifles at less than the market price. It is well worth the effort and the profits go to support the CMP programs including the National Matches in Camp Perry.

Here is the link to the CMP Sales Page (many additional items are listed on their E-Store page):
    http://www.odcmp.com/sales.htm

The link to the Eligibility Page:
    http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    Tomorrow I'm calling some of the firearms makers. Henry, Ruger, for sure.
    Funny you mentioned calling Henry because my next two rifles I had planed to buy were Henry but put those plans on hold due to the ammo shortage.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    Funny you mentioned calling Henry because my next two rifles I had planed to buy were Henry but put those plans on hold due to the ammo shortage.
    I would think this would be the time to buy firearms you are looking for. I have always been of themindset that when on a quest to get a new firearm you get it when it is a available and the cash is right. I have normally never had all three come into play at once. If I have the firearms and ammo available then the money is not there. Just sayin...

Boolit Master
    Tomorrow I'm calling some of the firearms makers. Henry, Ruger, for sure.
    Bill I'll be anxious to hear what their response is to you. At Henry you could very well get Anthony Imperato who I have always considered a honest square shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    I would think this would be the time to buy firearms you are looking for. I have always been of themindset that when on a quest to get a new firearm you get it when it is a available and the cash is right. I have normally never had all three come into play at once. If I have the firearms and ammo available then the money is not there. Just sayin...
    The money is not an issue it's the principle of the matter. Why buy a gun if the co's can't insure you ammo will be available to feed said firearm? A gun without ammo is a club and a poor club at that baseball bats work much better as a club and are a lot cheaper. I know the Henry co don't make ammo but that's beside the point to me the firearm is worthless without ammo. It's the same principle that keeps me from buying over priced ammo. Why should I pay for a shops overhead just because he can't get stock and jacks his prices up? It's the same as a guy that buys bulk packs for $25 and wants me to cover his investment and pay his truck payment. It's a statement to the whole industry get your act together or y'all all lose sells in the long run. The only firearms I'd buy at this time would be mint cond Savage 24's and I haven't seen one in mint cond since I got a new one when I was a kid. Some people call me bull headed and other things because I refuse to go with the flow but I took a stand and I'm holding it until the industry gets it together.

Boolit Master
    I wonder why the shortages in the States, I don't see any shortages in Australia on 22 ammo. maybe we have it all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I wonder why the shortages in the States, I don't see any shortages in Australia on 22 ammo. maybe we have it all.
    I believe it's panic buying. When words were going round that AR's would be banned most ofthe AR's on the shelves were snapped up. When the ban did not happen supplys have been returning to the shelves. Slowly but they are starting to return. Ammo the same way. Word was that there may be a tax per round, a limit on sales and possibly even a back ground check on sales of ammo. Of course there are the greedy folks buying ammo to jack up the price and resale and dealers trying to captilize on a situation. It will settle down it's just going to take awhile.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

The money is not an issue it's the principle of the matter. Why buy a gun if the co's can't insure you ammo will be available to feed said firearm? A gun without ammo is a club and a poor club at that baseball bats work much better as a club and are a lot cheaper. I know the Henry co don't make ammo but that's beside the point to me the firearm is worthless without ammo. It's the same principle that keeps me from buying over priced ammo. Why should I pay for a shops overhead just because he can't get stock and jacks his prices up? It's the same as a guy that buys bulk packs for $25 and wants me to cover his investment and pay his truck payment. It's a statement to the whole industry get your act together or y'all all lose sells in the long run. The only firearms I'd buy at this time would be mint cond Savage 24's and I haven't seen one in mint cond since I got a new one when I was a kid. Some people call me bull headed and other things because I refuse to go with the flow but I took a stand and I'm holding it until the industry gets it together.
    Most of the companys that manufacure firearms do not manufacure ammo so I don't see your point. The ones to be punished are the dealers that are jacking prices up and the scabs trying to make a buck on a bad situation. Now's a time to know which dealers are good ones to deal with in the future as the ones taking advantage of us will go away soon enough. The industry as a whole are working full scale to satisfy the demand. If you want to punish folks for the issue we are in get ther right ones.

gmsharps

I believe it's panic buying. When words were going round that AR's would be banned most ofthe AR's on the shelves were snapped up. When the ban did not happen supplys have been returning to the shelves. Slowly but they are starting to return. Ammo the same way. Word was that there may be a tax per round, a limit on sales and possibly even a back ground check on sales of ammo. Of course there are the greedy folks buying ammo to jack up the price and resale and dealers trying to captilize on a situation. It will settle down it's just going to take awhile.

gmsharps
    Yes that had a lot to do with it. However the ammo makers were in no rush to increase production of ammo and now it's been almost a year since then and their still in no rush. There should have been new production lines in place after they seen this wasn't going to end within 5-6 months. There has been new firearm factories but not ammo factory that I know of.

Most of the companys that manufacure firearms do not manufacure ammo so I don't see your point. The ones to be punished are the dealers that are jacking prices up and the scabs trying to make a buck on a bad situation. Now's a time to know which dealers are good ones to deal with in the future as the ones taking advantage of us will go away soon enough. The industry as a whole are working full scale to satisfy the demand. If you want to punish folks for the issue we are in get ther right ones.

gmsharps
    You don't understand a man having a principle? It's an industry one side can't make it without the other side that's the point.

Boolit Master

With the rapid increase of firearms sales over the last several years you would have thought that the ammo guys would have been expanding their production lines a bit to cover the increase of firearms. I know it cost a lot of money to increase production lines with the hopes that customers would buy but it's a fine line between surviving and going under these days. One of the problems is it takes time to increase production with the procuring and installation of new equipment and will the demand be there when the new production lines kick in. I bet the bean counters have looked at the production numbers over the years before they jump on a hopefully temporary increase in demand.

They must not have taking into account the amount of AR-15 owners that bought kits to fire 22lr as well as all the new 10/22 being bought up ever day. They have had plenty of time to get their act together but they think the demand is going away but it's not going to it's increasing each day.

Boolit Master

You are correct. I think they are just gunshy if you will about putting a lot of money into more equipment and getting stuck with it. I think it is the bean counters talking instead of the managers. I'm seeing more Aguila from Mexico coming in the country to meet the demand. CMP is even selling it now. Wouldn't surprise me to see more foreign stuff coming in before long. Don't you think even the bean counters should see that Wolf and Aquila are getting a pretty big share that could be US made ammo instead.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

They must not have taking into account the amount of AR-15 owners that bought kits to fire 22lr as well as all the new 10/22 being bought up ever day. They have had plenty of time to get their act together but they think the demand is going away but it's not going to it's increasing each day.
    But are these "NEW" shooters or buyers even attempting to use them, or are they just satisfied with they fact they have these purchases?

I have seen little to no increase in the use of the ranges I frequent, nor a substantial increase in membership of the clubs I a member of.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

You are correct. I think they are just gunshy if you will about putting a lot of money into more equipment and getting stuck with it. I think it is the bean counters talking instead of the managers. I'm seeing more Aguila from Mexico coming in the country to meet the demand. CMP is even selling it now. Wouldn't surprise me to see more foreign stuff coming in before long. Don't you think even the bean counters should see that Wolf and Aquila are getting a pretty big share that could be US made ammo instead.
    CMP has been selling Aquila ammo for years, it didn't just start since the panic.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    But are these "NEW" shooters or buyers even attempting to use them, or are they just satisfied with they fact they have these purchases?

I have seen little to no increase in the use of the ranges I frequent, nor a substantial increase in membership of the clubs I a member of.
    Well my thoughts on that are they would most likely be shooting them if the ammo was on the shelves. As for range use and membership I couldn't tell you. But not everyone that buys guns shoot at ranges I myself have been shooting firearms all my whole life and never once stepped foot on a public or membership range.

I emailed these 3 questions to Ruger & Henry:

Hello Sir,

I have three questions about ammo:

1). Is _______ Co. concerned about 22LR (or other ammo & components) ammunition availability & affordability?

2). Are 22 rifles sales down because of the scarcity & price increases of ammo?

3). Would _____ Firearms Co. consider expanding into ammo manufacturing?

From Henry:
    "Thank you for your interest. We have sold more guns this year than at any time in our history despite ammunition shortages. Scarcity of ammo is due to unprecedented sales and should regulate itself as ammunition manufacturers are working around the clock to fill orders but we have no interest in entering that segment of the business ourselves."
    Thanks Bill. Kind of what I thought more and more firearms being sold which will drag the shortage out even longer on 22lr.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post

My club has reached its membership limit for the first time since it was founded over 50 years ago and there now is a waiting list. People are complaining about having to wait for a position at the public range on weekends, during the week it used to be shoot by yourself now there usually is someone there.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

On Saturdays, if you don't get to the range EARLY, you have to wait in line at my range.

Well my thoughts on that are they would most likely be shooting them if the ammo was on the shelves. As for range use and membership I couldn't tell you. But not everyone that buys guns shoot at ranges I myself have been shooting firearms all my whole life and never once stepped foot on a public or membership range.
    That not likely to be the fact here in the populated No. Indiana area where I'm located.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast