Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22LR must be made of gold now days

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

It more than likely one of the few .22 LR cartridges he could find to sell. Most regular ammo is unavailable even for the stores to get.

Would you have been happier if he had sold the high priced ammo at a loss?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Yes Indeed, I'm one of those guy's who would see a good/fair price on 22lr's and buy a brick or two.
    Glad i did this for several year's before all the sky-is-falling hop-laa, Saving this stash for the grandkid's now and for myself I'll be casting the good old 38's when i want to punch a few hole's in paper. Life is Good !

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    That Eley ammo is way over rated unless your shooting a high dollar target rifle or pistol it's not worth buying. I can take just as much game with a box of standard CCI as with Eley and still be at least $10 richer.
    This isn't necessarily true, The big difference isn't the Gun, it 'is' the ammo, but not like you are thinking. Cheap ammo will shoot good about 8 out of ten times, but the other two shots will give you fliers. The spendy stuff is carefully weighed and assembled, then double checked, anything out of a tight tolerance is rejected and put in those cheap bulk packs. That's why it's more expensive. Back in the 90's when HV 22lr was $9 a brick, I was spending $10 per 50 rd box of Match ammo, so today, $18 for that box isn't too bad.

Yes I know it's a match ammo but how many of us old redneck type match shoot out in the country areas
    Glencoe is a rural/farming part of my state, we have several clubs that offer league type shooting and IR50. My LGS sells alot of Match ammo.

Why am I responding to your rant ?
    While the current 22LR shortage is a drag, don't take it out on your LGS, I am sure he is doing the best he can to get 22LR in.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    It more than likely one of the few .22 LR cartridges he could find to sell. Most regular ammo is unavailable even for the stores to get.

Would you have been happier if he had sold the high priced ammo at a loss?
    I wouldn't expect any business to sell at a loss. I wouldn't have bought that Eley even at fair price for Eley because it's over price to began with.

You know I think I remember you saying the resellers selling at a high price was wrong. However you turn around and try to defend a shop for doing the same thing. So which side are you going to play on? Either your against rip-offs or you support rip-offs or are going to play both sides of the field depending on what thread your own?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    This isn't necessarily true, The big difference isn't the Gun, it 'is' the ammo, but not like you are thinking. Cheap ammo will shoot good about 8 out of ten times, but the other two shots will give you fliers. The spendy stuff is carefully weighed and assembled, then double checked, anything out of a tight tolerance is rejected and put in those cheap bulk packs. That's why it's more expensive. Back in the 90's when HV 22lr was $9 a brick, I was spending $10 per 50 rd box of Match ammo, so today, $18 for that box isn't too bad.

Glencoe is a rural/farming part of my state, we have several clubs that offer league type shooting and IR50. My LGS sells alot of Match ammo.

Why am I responding to your rant ?
    While the current 22LR shortage is a drag, don't take it out on your LGS, I am sure he is doing the best he can to get 22LR in.
    Jon
    It's not a rant and I'm not taking it out on the shop. The shop is doing it to themselves by over charging for 22lr no natter what brand it may have been it was over priced. I don't use bulk ammo I still have a few bricks plus of Stingers and some CCI M.N.,CCI standard so I'm not hurting for ammo. No gun ranges near here this is all farm land in the area.

Depending on what Eley Match ammo it was $17.99 / 50 may not be too far out of line from normal un-inflated prices. I remember paying $10 / 50 in 1995 -96 for Eley Match when evaluating various 22 LR's in my match pistol and rifle. They did shoot quite well but if I remember correctly the Federal Match's shot the best. They were pricey just do not recall. The Federals that have the dimple in the center of the case head.

I wouldn't expect any business to sell at a loss. I wouldn't have bought that Eley even at fair price for Eley because it's over price to began with.

You know I think I remember you saying the resellers selling at a high price was wrong. However you turn around and try to defend a shop for doing the same thing. So which side are you going to play on? Either your against rip-offs or you support rip-offs or are going to play both sides of the field depending on what thread your own?
    No I'm not changing which side I'm on, nor am I playing both sides.

You are saying Eley is way over priced, not so. You want Cadillac's priced in the Yugo range, or so it would seem.

The Eley ammo you refer to in the 1st post is not a plinking ammo, it is a high priced Match ammo as the price shows and targets show at matches its used in. This is what its made for, and while $17.99 may be on the high side it is not out of line for this type of ammo.

The same holds true with the rifles shot in the matches where this ammo is used. I earlier referred to the NRA Smallbore matches, one of the fellows attending the matches was shooting a single shot Swiss made rifle. In talking to him the barreled action cost $8000.00, broker and import fees $500.00, he then had to have it custom stocked and sights installed. Final cost he claimed approached over $10,000.00. Overpriced? Obviously not for him, and it was not used for squirrels, and likely never saw a box of Remington Yellow Jackets.

You need to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

I have ammo that cost me $28.00 a box for 50 rounds, and targets shot with it show it. Overpriced? No, its for matches. Now if it was CCI std. vel. at $28.00 a box of 50, yup, that would be overpriced. But that's not apples to apples.

If you can't understand this, I don't know how to help you.

It's not a rant and I'm not taking it out on the shop. The shop is doing it to themselves by over charging for 22lr no natter what brand it may have been it was over priced. I don't use bulk ammo I still have a few bricks plus of Stingers and some CCI M.N.,CCI standard so I'm not hurting for ammo. No gun ranges near here this is all farm land in the area.
    None of those you mentioned are anywhere near match ammo.

None of those you mentioned are anywhere near match ammo.
    Did I say they were? I think you missed a few things in this thread they were over priced period. Keep defending the shop Eley or whoever you want to. Have fun ranting to yourself trying to prove a point because they were over priced no matter what you say.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wholesale cost of that Eley ammo is around $13.50 a box, throw in shipping, you have $14-$14.50/box in it. He is making about $3.50/box, a 25% markup. Most places charge more than that for markup, so he isn't really out of line. Heck, my local farm and ranch store charges 30% markup, IIRC

Boolit Buddy
    Well for all those that want it Lucky Gunner.com has it. Course its 22.75 a box and you pay the shipping. Tell me , when diesel and gas becomes scarce, do you pay more or do without? . Quick internet check shows odd's getting .22 ammo at Cabela's, midway or midsouth being real slim.

That is your opinion.

I posted 3 different links showing 3 different companies that sell mainly to target shooters and the prices are essentially in the same price range. They have been in this same price range for the last few years so that alone disproves your opinion. But it is your option to feel any way you wish.

Even with other members here telling you the same thing.

In the final analysis you will never get a Cadillac for the price of a Yugo. Two different fruits entirely.

Boolit Master

For that brand and grade of ammo that price was not to bad.

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=2328

http://www.championshooters.com/inde...=37&Itemid=111

This ammo is not plinking ammo therefore does not sell for such.
    When I was entertaining the idea of competing in NRA Smallbore, I experimented with various varieties of match ammo. From a bench with iron sights at fifty yards, Eley Tenex from my old Winchester 52 would make a tiny little cloverleaf if I paid attention to the wind.

Unfortunately, from any legal match position, I couldn't replicate what the rifle and the ammo would do, but the stuff is amazingly accurate. You pay for that consistency.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Mold
    I picked up a federal 525 for $29.99 "on special" this week. Not great but better than it has been. They offered a 400 for the same price a month or two ago. I haven't been shooting it much but my dad was worried that he wouldn't have enough for my nephews to shoot last time they were there and I couldn't find any.
    Once I checked his closet I decided it wasn't as dire as he made it sound, but they can go through a lot and he likes to shoot it also.

I also am not buying ammo such as Eley at anything close to going prices, but I am cheap and not shooting matches.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Last week I got my case of 10 bricks, yes it took a while but now I have it. I wasn't expecting it until October so as far as I am concerned I got it early. Yes I now have another case on order.

1 Case Standard Velocity 419ASVSE
    Ordered Feb. 21, 2013
    Invoice date Aug. 22, 2013
    Delivered Aug. 27, 2013

Where did I get it? The CMP of course.
    http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/ammo.htm#Aguila22

No I won't sell you any.

Plan Ahead!
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Love Life
    Ya'll do know that eley ammo WILL kill a squirrel, a cottontail rabbit, and even a big jack rabbit right? It does it very accurately as well. It comes down to a couple things:

1. If you need it, then pay what you have to.
    2. If you want it badly, pay what you have to.
    3. If you want some, but not right now, then walk away.

As was pointed out, Eley match ammo has NEVER been cheap. $17.00 and change is not out of line for some of the best shooting 22 ammo out there.

I do not believe the store was "gouging" (gasp!!!!), but it is all in the eye of the beholder. I understand that sometimes you have to pay to play.

Love Life
    Oh, and you want to talk high priced? Start putting together a long range uber-tacticool rifle. Wait until you pay upwards of $150.00 for just a set of scope rings. Now that feels like being gouged. Ouch!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Back in 2007-8 I bought one of the new Savage 22s. At that time I knew several folks that are SERIOUS shooters.

All of them said to try Wolf Match ammo made in Germany. At that time the price was $59.99 per brick.

Yes it is extremely accurate. Check the ammo and the components used to produce it and you will understand why it costs what it does.

If you are shooting for accuracy a brick lasts a long time.

Yesterday or so I checked Midway and yes they are "OUT OF STOCK. NO BACK ORDER". Their price almost 5 years after I got my first brick, $59.99

When AND if I run low the gun will be fed the same as before. No increase after that many years, still a great deal if you want that kind of accuracy and this OLD man enjoys seeing that he can still shoot well enough to get all 5 shots snuggled together even if it is only a 22.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
    I went to a Flea market on Monday - the big swappers day at Johnstown. I only found one guy selling 22's for $50 a brick. He was spouting that was a low price and how 22's are now rare !! That no one can get them and how shortly all ammo will have a nickle tax on every round .... All I could do is laugh. Even my wife laughed at his idiocy. I can load and shoot 38's cheaper than 22's .....
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    Rusty,

Gotta watch then boys in Johnstown I've never seen such a beat up, overpriced collection of firearms.

Back on topic, on the local Ohio scene, Vance Outdoors just emailed out an ad to their rewards club customers for Federal 525 rd bulk pack $29.99.
    Last edited by Cmm_3940; 09-05-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I know what ypu mean i see the cheap all lead rounds going for 10 cents per round. I havent shot any of my .22s in almost a year just saving my 1000 rounds. Hopefully black friday the ammo gods will smile on us.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast