Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22LR must be made of gold now days

.22LR must be made of gold now days

Me and my brother went to a LGS this morning and asked if they had any 22lr. The guy say yes how many boxes would you like? I asked what brand and price he says Eley Match Grade 50 count 17.99. I said can you say that again he says 17.99 and we have no limit on them. Me and my brother busted out laughing and my little brother told the guy you must be on drugs if you think I'm paying that. Another guy was looking at their rifles and said you got to be joking. The guy hands him back the rifle he was holding and said I refuse to buy from rip-offs and we all 3 walked out. The other guy told us he will never buy a thing from them after hearing how much they wanted for those 22lr. This shop lost 3 customers at once that will never buy from them again. This shop use to be a good place to buy from but they have jumped on the 22lr rip-off list.

Boolit Master

My local shop is charging 8.99 a box for standard velocity. I hated to pay it but I have an old semi-auto that isn't working properly with the high vel I have and wanted to see if it helped, or is it something else. I could wait a few more months until it all settles down but what the hey, I am impatient and 9 bucks wasn't going to kill me. Just got one box though.

Love Life
    I can't shoot dollar bills so when I needed 22 LR ammo I ponied up. Sucked, but oh well.

They sure are proud of that Eley stuff. That is what I had to pony up for, so now my daughter has the finest plinking ammo made!

Boolit Master

Wal Mart throughout the southeast has Federal "Auto Match" in 325 count boxes for $14.87 if you can find it. When I got mine there were 4 on the shelf. I would rather shoot centerfire, but the kids prefer the rimfire.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Yeah, not only is it gold-plated apparently, but that's IF you can even find it at all. In my area, it's scarcer than hen's teeth. Even when it does come in, our local Academy store breaks up the bricks and won't sell you more than two 50-round boxes per day. Silliness.

How am I supposed to build my billion-round stockpile only two 50-round boxes at a time!?

I still have a few bricks plus but thought I'd see what they may have while I was there. I sure wasn't expecting to hear that kind of price for 22lr but I guess they are seeing dollar signs. I buy most my ammo at Wal-mart but I was there so I asked and got a shock.

Boolit Master

Investing in gold and silver is for suckers! When the SHTF the currency of the land will be .22's!

Boolit Master

Local Academy has American Eagle .22lr for $2.29/box of 50. I thought that was high until I saw some of these posts!

I've got a couple of bricks of the blue box Federal that have $8.95 price stickers on them, and some Remington that has $7.99 stickers. Glad I don't need more at todays prices!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    Me and my brother went to a LGS this morning and asked if they had any 22lr. The guy say yes how many boxes would you like? I asked what brand and price he says Eley Match Grade 50 count 17.99. I said can you say that again he says 17.99 and we have no limit on them. Me and my brother busted out laughing and my little brother told the guy you must be on drugs if you think I'm paying that. Another guy was looking at their rifles and said you got to be joking. The guy hands him back the rifle he was holding and said I refuse to buy from rip-offs and we all 3 walked out. The other guy told us he will never buy a thing from them after hearing how much they wanted for those 22lr. This shop lost 3 customers at once that will never buy from them again. This shop use to be a good place to buy from but they have jumped on the 22lr rip-off list.
    They may be, But maybe not. In the plumbing business the mark up between their price and yours was over 60%. Mark up in the jewelry business was about 100% when I worked at such a store. Real question to decide the rip off is what did he pay for it. In his defense , he had it, and could sell it. Lots of places out here have nothing but empty shelves. Cost of running a store might surprise you. A simple yellow page cost me 500 bucks a month, bet insurance for him is through the roof. He has to match SS payments to employees, sick pay , vacation, taxes, bookkeeper, power, sewer, water. Again , with out looking at an invoice showing his cost, rip off is unfair.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

For that brand and grade of ammo that price was not to bad.

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=2328

http://www.championshooters.com/inde...=37&Itemid=111

This ammo is not plinking ammo therefore does not sell for such.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    There has been some .22LR available arond these parts lately at about $2.99/box for 50 rounds. The last week or so they are selling at 6 boxes per customer per day.

Eley is much more expensive.

I just saw the first .22Mag ammo I have seen since December yesterday at a LGS for $19.99/box of 50 rounds. I thought that a bit unreasonable, so I didn't buy it.
    I still have several boxes but have resisted shooting any until I could be sure of replacing it.
    I will wait a bit longer.

I have plenty of centerfire guns I can shoot until then.

local wallyworld had them this AM. Remington golden HP $10.71 for a 225 round bulk pack. limit 3 boxes

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Quote Originally Posted by unclogum bill View Post
    They may be, But maybe not. In the plumbing business the mark up between their price and yours was over 60%. Mark up in the jewelry business was about 100% when I worked at such a store. Real question to decide the rip off is what did he pay for it. In his defense , he had it, and could sell it. Lots of places out here have nothing but empty shelves. Cost of running a store might surprise you. A simple yellow page cost me 500 bucks a month, bet insurance for him is through the roof. He has to match SS payments to employees, sick pay , vacation, taxes, bookkeeper, power, sewer, water. Again , with out looking at an invoice showing his cost, rip off is unfair.
    Oh I know all to well the cost of running a business I own a 200 ac. tee/plant farm. However if things get tight I do not hit my customers in the pocket to cover my bills that's why all business should keep a cash reserve. This place is not hurting because they keep increasing their stock all the time. Their other ammo is in line with most ever other place around all expect their 22lr so yeah they are riding the 22lr profit wagon now.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    For that brand and grade of ammo that price was not to bad.

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=2328

http://www.championshooters.com/inde...=37&Itemid=111

This ammo is not plinking ammo therefore does not sell for such.
    Another shop about 5 miles away has the same ammo $6 a box cheaper and it's a much smaller shop. That Eley ammo is way over rated unless your shooting a high dollar target rifle or pistol it's not worth buying. I can take just as much game with a box of standard CCI as with Eley and still be at least $10 richer.

I went to a Flea market on Monday - the big swappers day at Johnstown. I only found one guy selling 22's for $50 a brick. He was spouting that was a low price and how 22's are now rare !! That no one can get them and how shortly all ammo will have a nickle tax on every round .... All I could do is laugh. Even my wife laughed at his idiocy. I can load and shoot 38's cheaper than 22's .....
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Buddy
    Ya the merchandise belongs to the store owner and they can sell it for whatever they want....or eat it for that matter.
    We consumers on the other hand can decide we don't like being ripped off and can spend our money with businesses who actually appreciate the fact that we are spending our hard earned wages with them.
    A local store here tried that BS. There prices were higher than the stuff on GB. Last few times I drove by there the only three cars in the lot belonged the owner, her sister and son. I now drive twenty miles past her store for my reloading supplies.
    I think she will be out of business within a year.
    If you say you can't, you probably won't.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few bricks of CCI Blazer. Anyone want to place a bid?

I should have bought way more when it was 8.99 per 500. I probably have 4000 rounds and shoot very little 22 LR.

Nah, I think I will keep it.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Another shop about 5 miles away has the same ammo $6 a box cheaper and it's a much smaller shop. That Eley ammo is way over rated unless your shooting a high dollar target rifle or pistol it's not worth buying. I can take just as much game with a box of standard CCI as with Eley and still be at least $10 richer.
    Its not made as a hunting round, that's why its called "Match", you know as in "Shooting Match".

Some of the shooters at the NRA National Metric Smallbore matches used this very ammo, course the prizes ran into the hundreds of bucks.

Regarding to whether its worth buying or not, that is entirely up to you.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchan...ct_Code=A01500
    Last edited by jcwit; 09-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Love Life
    I like it. This way I know it is me that sucks when the target has a shot or 2 out of the black...

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Its not made as a hunting round, that's why its called "Match", you know as in "Shooting Match".

Some of the shooters at the NRA National Metric Smallbore matches used this very ammo, course the prizes ran into the hundreds of bucks.

Regarding to whether its worth buying or not, that is entirely up to you.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchan...ct_Code=A01500
    Yes I know it's a match ammo but how many of us old redneck type match shoot out in the country areas
    which is where the store is? They are playing on the fact that it's closing in on hunting season and people will buy whatever they have to to hunt. However they don't understand a few things I for one won't buy it and many others out here won't either it's only going to cause them to lose customers. But hey that's their choice their business and their customers their going to tick off not mine.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast