Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22LR must be made of gold now days

At a gun show a couple weeks back on guy had 6 boxes of Remington bulk with I think was 525 rounds each. The sign said $75.00 each. When I walked by an hour later, they were gone! That's 14 cents a round!
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Some folks are desperate, and some folks are fools, then there are those who are desperate fools.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Man

I scored big at Walmart last night! I got 3 boxes of Federal AutoMatch 325 rnd for about 20.00 a box and my buddy got me the last 3 boxes of 550 round Federal Value Pack(which I reimbursed him for) at about 25 bucks a box!

Boolit Master

There is an underlying issue with 22 lr ammo
    If you have some great if you have none and need, want, or have to have some then the cheapest you can find is a good price.
    I wonder when things settle down just how much more we are going to have shell out for 22lr ammo?
    I have seen it at prices I would never pay, at prices I might pay and at prices that are pretty much what I was paying.

If you just bought a new 22 lr and want to shoot it you will pay whatever price you have too to get some ammo it is as simple as that. I know one LGS that will sell 2 boxes of 22lr with the sale of each 22lr firearm not because he puts a high price on the ammo which he doesn't but so he has some to sell.

He was talking with me and said that he gets in just enough to be able to sell 2 boxes with each purchase of a 22lr firearm. Makes you wonder with all who make 22lr ammo where it is all going and for what purpose.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    When they used to be available how many of us bought more than a brick at a time?

Now I read HERE about folks proudly saying "I just picked up the last 3-5k the store had" and you wonder why the shortages continue?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Prices in these parts are still reasonable but people are sure "stocking up" for the 2016 run-up I guess. A 525 Remington value pack was $17.99 a couple months ago but the last go-around they were $18.99. As soon as a couple pallets come in they are gone in a day or a day in a half. I think the Federal value pack when available is around the $24.00 mark, which is surprising, as prior to the 1st of the year they were priced about the same as Remington's.

The shortage of primers is what baffles me - I've had my orders in since the 1st of the year and still nothing, although half of it is my fault, as I told them to ship the entire lot (one 30K and the other 20K) as opposed to piecemeal and getting robbed with the hazmat fees.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    When they used to be available how many of us bought more than a brick at a time?

Now I read HERE about folks proudly saying "I just picked up the last 3-5k the store had" and you wonder why the shortages continue?
    Right! The only time I ever bought more than one brick was if the store was having a heck of a sale on ammo, or if I had to send for match ammo and made it possible to up the qty. for freight charges.

Frankly I haven't purchased and ammo since this madness started.

I have cut back my shooting but it has nothing to do with ammo, everything to do with time and health.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

The last time I bought .22lr it was two CASES - 20 bricks.

At the time I thought $0.09/rd for Wolf Target Match was expensive.

That was before the current climate, of course...

Boolit Master

Bill
    If 22lr ever is available again at a fair price I plan on buying 3 cases so I don't have to wonder where to get my 22lr ever again.
    If that is hoarding then I guess I am a hoarder.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

Bill
    If 22lr ever is available again at a fair price I plan on buying 3 cases so I don't have to wonder where to get my 22lr ever again.
    If that is hoarding then I guess I am a hoarder.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    We won't have anymore Annie Oakley's or Ad Topperwien's, or Chief AJ's without affordable 22 ammunition.5000 rounds per day and 32,000+ consecutive hits.
    That's what the current administration wants!!! There really is very little manufacturing in this country now. We are a throw away society that is Mortgaged to the hilt with foreign investors!! Until this stops nothing is going to change!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Bill I have past up many 22lr because they weren't the brand I like. I found some of those federal target match 325 I picked up one box for my little brother. I could have bought 3 but thought I'd leave the rest for others that may need them. I did the same with CCI standard when I found them unlimited I got two 50 count boxes. Only to hear the guy behind me say "I'll take ever box you got" even though there were others in line. He bought everything and there must have been close to 100 boxes. I haven't been hurt by the shortage I had a few bricks plus when this started and added a few 50 counts boxes to that since. I just stopped shooting them and started shooting my air rifles more to save the 22lr for hunting season. After this mess is over I plan to buy a few cases of my brand but see no reason to buy things I really don't want just because there on the shelves. I hunt tree rats with my 22 air rifles from time to time and may do must of it with them this years.

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I went on an abbreviated gun shop tour yesterday after work at about 5:00PM with my son looking for whatever deals we could find.

One LGS (Trop Gun Shop)is moving, so they are running a big sale on stuff. They have had .22LR ammo lately at $2.49/box of 50 rds (lead RN standard velocity). Limit of 6 per day per customer. They have some other types of .22LR pretty regularly also, mostly target grade Eley stuff(expensive).
    They are keeping primers in stock... Federal is running $31.99/thousand one per day for SP. Rifle is a couple bucks more. CCI is about $34.99 for SP,IIRC.

Only one handgun powder container on the shelf...an 8-lb jug of 231...$187.99.

Lots of jacketed bullets from the major manufacturers...prices are holding fairly steady. Cast lead bullets are pushing the $70 per 500 level for bullets in .45cal.

Up the street about a mile or so, at Kinsey's they had 500rd bulk packs of Rem. Thunderbolts at $30.99 each. Quite a few on the shelf. I still have a couple bulk packs of those for plinking so I didn't buy any. If they still have some next weekend, I may put another bulk pack in the stash.
    Powders were essentially absent from the shelves...primers were available...Fed SP at $37.99/thousand...CCI at $41.99/thousand.

Both shops have more and more firearms available each week, it seems....both new and used.

357supermag seems lots of ammo is starting to slowly return I'm seeing lots more rifle,shotgun and some pistol ammo. The one thing that's taking it's time catching up is the 22lr. I noticed a few places now have 22 shorts,22mag and 22 longs on the shelves but the 22lr I think is still going to be a while for this area. I'm still listening to my son and little brother cry about not having any 22lr for hunting season. I haven't told them but I have enough for them to hunt with this season I just know better then to give them to them now. If they still need them I'm going to give them so many on each outing so they don't shoot them all up.

Boolit Master
    The US needs to be able to over-produce ammo and components. Period!
    Maybe you should start a factory.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Call the ammo makers and demand they produce more ammo. Their phone numbers are all listed on the internet. Call them like we would a politician on an issue to vote for. Our country needs to be able to over-produce at times.
    I wonder what the manufactures are using for forecasting demand for the coming year. I think they have substantially underestimated demand for at least the last 18 months from what I am seeing. My Son-In-Laws brother is a production manager for Ruger at Prescott so I have a fair feel for the numbers of 22 rimfire they are cranking out. Ruger has just announced the introduction of a new bolt action 22 rifle also. All the new 22s being manufactured every day just from that one manufacturer is putting a lot of new demand on ammo by new first time shooters every day. Its basic third grade math for our domestic manufacturers to figure 24/7 production vs the estimated demand for product from the field. I'm now thinking that the industry (the end sellers) is enjoying the additional profit they are enjoying given the current demand. Warehoused inventory is expensive for any supply chain and that eats into their profit quickly. They are enjoying the increased profit without having to inventory product for more than a few days, why would they want things to change. Anyone here know where the rimfire plants of the world are located in the world beside Aquilla in Mexico? Imports are the only thing I see that are going to take the edge off the current situation and send the message to manufacturers in this country. When I was a younger man we shot Win 52s, Rem 40Xs, and Win 75s. Today we are shooting 10/22s with Kidd, Volquartsen, and Feddersen barrels & parts. They eat piles of ammo.

Boolit Master
    My "strategy" is not to shoot any .22 RF until this nonsense is over with. I have a stockpile of .22 RF stashed up, in the meantime I'll shoot cheaper CF cast bullet reloads. The only reason I even have any .22 RF firearms is because of cheap & plentiful ammo...that not being the case, they are out to pasture until this mess is over with.

I've sold about half what i had to friends.I'm a center fire guy so I seldom shoot rimfire but I keep it around.I would pick up 22's when ever i get a good deal on them and wound up with quite a bit.Bulk buys at places that would give the plastic ammo can with 2250 rounds. Like dad. I realize times are lean.I kept the good stuff.I'm not hoarding.Im looking out for mine.

Call the ammo makers and demand they produce more ammo. Their phone numbers are all listed on the internet. Call them like we would a politician on an issue to vote for. Our country needs to be able to over-produce at times.
    Bill every time I contact the co's they push the blame on the distributors. They all basically use the same 'form letter" and tell me they can not tell me when ammo will be delivered in my area. They state that that's covered by the distributors and they have no control over when and where deliveries are made. It's got to the point to where it's not worth my time to even contact a co that pushes the blame on others for their poor production control. I will just wait and ride it out and use my air rifles and 410's for small game. I will not be buying any more firearms until they get their act together on ammo supplies. I'd rather invest in Big bore PCP and spring loaded air guns that I have no issues getting supplies for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    Bill every time I contact the co's they push the blame on the distributors. They all basically use the same 'form letter" and tell me they can not tell me when ammo will be delivered in my area. They state that that's covered by the distributors and they have no control over when and where deliveries are made. It's got to the point to where it's not worth my time to even contact a co that pushes the blame on others for their poor production control. I will just wait and ride it out and use my air rifles and 410's for small game. I will not be buying any more firearms until they get their act together on ammo supplies. I'd rather invest in Big bore PCP and spring loaded air guns that I have no issues getting supplies for.

They all have the same old line of duplicity down very well. Gross arrogance. Now all the more I want to see a nice shooting line of imports at a fair price and see how smug the domestics are then.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast