Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Win. 540 MS Powder

Boolit Master at heavens range

Win. 540 MS Powder

Just got a 3 lb.can of Win. 540 MS this week at gun show, Shotgun powder ,that I Dont load for, Anyone have loads that would work in 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 Auto. Rim.
    45 long colt. or cast bullet loads in rifles. Thanks for the help, Smokemjoe

Joe, AAC #5 is about the same burn rate as that old WW 540MS.
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Ms?

What does the MS stand for? I picked up two pounds of WW540. The cans don't have the MS moniker anywhere on them. They were so cheap, I couldn't' resist. For $20.00 I got two pounds of WW540 and one pound of AA 3100. Now what to do with the 540?

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeBAC View Post
    What does the MS stand for? I picked up two pounds of WW540. The cans don't have the MS moniker anywhere on them. They were so cheap, I couldn't' resist. For $20.00 I got two pounds of WW540 and one pound of AA 3100. Now what to do with the 540?
    I dont know what the MS stands for either, Joe

I'm pretty sure that WW540 is functionally similar to HS-6.

HS-6 is a pretty good mid speed handgun powder. I have used it in 32 H&R, 45 Colt, 45 ACP (revolver). May want to try a mag primer with it, can make a difference in some loads.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    My memory isn't what it used to be, but I seem to remember reading (probably in the late 60's or early 70') that 540 MS was a double base powder and that some of the nitroglycerin precipitated out and would collect at the bottom of the can after sitting for a time. After some shotgun blow- ups Winchester discontinued 540 MS , reformulated it, and just called it 540. The common cure, was to simply shake up the can of 540 MS before using. Like I said, my memory isn't the best, but I do remember reading about some shotguns getting ruined and 540 MS sticks in my mind as the powder that caused the problem.
    If it were me, I would try asking Winchester or researching the powder before using it.
    Does anybody else remember Winchester having problems with this powder?

Boolit Master

If that 540-MS is near the same burn rate as AA#5, it sure must have been a LOT faster back then! Win-540 is supposed to be the "same" as HS-6 and Win-571 is to be the "same" as HS-7. I have used the data interchangably.
    I would certainly research the 540-MS to find the correct burn rate. Didn't the seller have any suggestions or data? Good-luck...BCB

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    If that 540-MS is near the same burn rate as AA#5, it sure must have been a LOT faster back then! Win-540 is supposed to be the "same" as HS-6 and Win-571 is to be the "same" as HS-7. I have used the data interchangably.
    I would certainly research the 540-MS to find the correct burn rate. Didn't the seller have any suggestions or data? Good-luck...BCB
    The sell was a older fellow selling out his stuff.

Back in tuhe 60's, Wichester sold 5 shotgun powders.

AA12S for 12ga trap
    AA20S for 20target standard vel
    450LS For light target standard vel.& hunting loads
    500HS for Heavy loads
    540MS for Magnum loads with extra heavy shot charges, so the MS moniker is for Magnum shot loads

I've used 540MS for 10ga 2oz loads etc. Most older powder burn rate charts list it with like I said AA#5, somewhere between HS5 & HS6...Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Master
    Win 540 is the same as Hodgdon HS-6. I am just now discovering it's usefulness in .32 mag. & .32-20.

Boolit Master

I have a can of HS 500 that is about half full. It is an 8 lb. can and I have no idea in what to use it. Same deal, an old man was getting rid of his old powder. I got some Green dot out of the deal and a buddy got some 540, which Hogdon told me was the same as HS-6. Now what to do with the HS500? I did burn a bunch of it on the 4th in a small coffee can lit with some cannon fuse.

HS 500 is about like the old Alcan #5 or AAC#2 If any of you want to try to load some shotgun loads with it, send me a PM & I'll send you a scan from the Winchester booklet.

500HS was used for short 10ga 12, 16, & 20ga high velocity loads. The only thing is most of the data is for paper shells. half of the loads are for nitro card wads, so if you know how to interpolate a bit you can convert some of the loads to plastic wads & shells. ...Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Master

I was actually going to use it for handgun data, but the Hogdon guy said it was very dirty burning and that they discontinued it in 1967-9.

Boolit Master
    I would get an inside flash hole deburrer and clean up your flash holes and try that powder.

Start with some odd ball brass headstamps for a test. Not much to lose.

I was surprised how Red Dot cleaned up (old version) in .44 mag cases.

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master

I never heard of the "540 MS", but

W540 = HS-6 , same powder, same factory, the only difference is lot to lot variation.

W571 = HS-7, same story.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    On the burn rate chart I have it list 540 between HS6 and N340, I have a 8# can of 452AA which is a faster powder it is listed as compatable with Green Dot, PB, and Silhouette.
    I have enough pistol powder to last me until I can't see the target anymore from gunshow old men gettin rid of there stuff. My boys will get it when I am no longer able to see, but at the price I got most of the stuff couldn't see passing. Might get where you can't get powder in the future, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by georgewxxx View Post
    Back in tuhe 60's, Wichester sold 5 shotgun powders.

AA12S for 12ga trap
    AA20S for 20target standard vel
    450LS For light target standard vel.& hunting loads
    500HS for Heavy loads
    540MS for Magnum loads with extra heavy shot charges, so the MS moniker is for Magnum shot loads

I've used 540MS for 10ga 2oz loads etc. Most older powder burn rate charts list it with like I said AA#5, somewhere between HS5 & HS6...Geo
    VERY old thread, but I stumbled onto this researching WW 540 powder and the 45 Super.
    AA20S powder later became AA473 powder. Works great in 38, 9, 45, and the like...

Boolit Buddy
    I was very unhappy when 452AA was discontinued! Awesome .45 ACP powder for 185 & 200 cast boolits!