Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35 Cal Rifle Build Guidance

So go with the 3 groove 1-14"........ a few others have said with the boolits I"m going to shooting 250gr min. 275gr max the 1-16" should do the trick, but if 1-14" is needed I'll go that way instead.

I was nosing around and did find this http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...oqipiaji2golm1 pretty hefty load.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Grand Master

Just my 2cnts worth, several here advise against the long action rifles for building a 358 winchester. I have built many on long action guns, one of which is posted here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...touch-of-class
    My personal favorite hunting rifle pet named "Siete Leguas" is a Sako AV that was originally chambered in 270 Winchester, that I rebuilt into a 358 Winchester.
    Both of these rifles are shooting very very well (.8 MOA for the Genesis, and .75MOA for Siete Leguas) albeit with 200 grain boolits.
    The only thing I would do different if I were shooting heavier boolits is to ream the throat a little deeper so that you can seat the long boolits in there without pushing the GC below the neck.
    Other than that, I would think that 358 would do everything you need.
    Another thing I might point out, is that there is hardly a bear in Arkansas that needs a boolit that heavy. If you just make your boolits out of water dropped 50/50, you will have all the penetration you need for Ar bear.
    On a personal note, I agree with what was said earlier about the report of the 358 win. It's very pleasent to shoot, and it is the most effective cartridge I have ever hunted with. It's clean killing, efficient, versatile, and when you shoot, everybody knows you have game on the ground. It has a very distinctive report.
    Maybe it's just my imagination, but it just seems like when I am carrying a 358 Winchester, I have enough gun for anything, but not too much gun for anything.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 09-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    warf,
    Since you're looking for any and all .02 cents worth of input- My preference would be a 5 groove 14 twist and doubtful you'll gain anything with bullets heavier than 250 gr. Heavier means longer and pretty soon either the chamber throat is too short and/or you'll have to seat the bullet base too far into the body- as goodsteel pointed out.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd just like to add an idea take it or leave it. The Yugo M48 Mauser is shorter than the German 98, and strips 358 like it was made for it.
    Get's a man to thinking.....

Open the safe:
    On the right an M48 in 358 Winchester, peep sights, a nice piece of wood with tasteful checkering, and smooth euro lines.
    On the left, a Gew 98 in 35 Whelen, Weaver straight six, and matching wood, monte carlo, ebony......sweetness.

decisions, decisions.....
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 09-12-2013 at 01:08 PM.

I sure love my 350 Rem Mags These are the Boolits I use: If using the Savage the 35 Whelen would be my choice, a sweet setup would be a M SEVEN in 358 Win.
    --- Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timthumbCAD7T8NF.png 
Views:	485 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	81618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timthumbCAP8T419.png 
Views:	481 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	81619

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I'd just like to add an idea take it or leave it. The Yugo M48 Mauser is shorter than the German 98, and strips 358 like it was made for it.
    Get's a man to thinking....
    Tim,

Great link in post #22 I read all 4 pages and GREAT work sir.
    As for the Yugo, it is probly a great build idea but I'm doing the work (tear down and assembly of the rifle) myself and the Stevens/Savage is easer with the tools I've got at hand.
    Thanks for all the input guys, I'm excitted about the build just waiting on 2 other projects to get completed before the next one can be started.
    your ass tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    warf,
    Since you're looking for any and all .02 cents worth of input- My preference would be a 5 groove 14 twist and doubtful you'll gain anything with bullets heavier than 250 gr. Heavier means longer and pretty soon either the chamber throat is too short and/or you'll have to seat the bullet base too far into the body- as goodsteel pointed out.
    The idea behind the build is to replace carring the 460wby threw the woods, I've done it alot but that darn thing starts to get heavy by days end. My walking around load is 350gr bullet that has never seen anything walk away from it once hit. The goal of the build was/is to creat a 358 that can shoot the heaver boolits @ or above 2000fps. From what everyone has said the 358 Winchester will fit the bill with no issues. I hope there will be no issue with Jesse cutting the chamber to fit the longer boolits as my plan is to send him some dummy rounds with the barrel. He didn't seem to think it would be any issue and I can only go off what he said.

If I'm missing something here please let me know as I don't want to mess up this build.

Thanks Warf
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master
    Well, you started out asking about and preferring the 35 Whelen. Of course with the 358 in a standard long action you'll have plenty of length to play with in the magazine and the chamber can be throated to allow for seating a heavier bullet way out.

fouronesix,

I was leaning more to the Whelen when I posted this but have been swayed to the 358 winchester.
    your ass tomorrow."

By heavy bullets do you mean in the 250 gr range, then yes a short barreled 358 Win will be fine. Trying to get that velocity with a 275 gr bullet is pushing it a bit hard.
    You can always do the 358 and if it won't get you where you want then ream it out to 35 Whelen.
    I have a Stevens 200 in 270 that I'm thinking of turning it into a 35 Whelen. I plan on shooting cast in it mostly so I might try the 358 Win first. Then maybe reaming it out at a later date.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    FYI: A 35 Whelen will not clean up a 358 Winchester. The 358 is too squat. The Whelen case has more tapper. The barrel would have to be set back.

So, if you have a 30-06 length action I'd suggest the Whelen. If it is a shorter action like short 700 (308 length) go to the 358 Winchester, since you have no choice.

The M48 Mauser that Tim spoke of would make a very slick 358, since the 8MM it is made for is just 3.1 inches. That would give you about 3 tenths of an inch to play with as far as cartridge OAL inspite of the 358's shorter neck if you want to play with boolit nose profiles.

Tim has seen pictures of my 358, but I admit that I've never shot any cast in it yet. I am certain that Tim can further explain my thinking if you don't understand it. Tim is very wise on the Mauser M48.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I shoot the 290 gr. Bator Heavy at around 2100 fps. If you think that is too slow, look at and compare factory bullet weights and velocities. You will see that this is one serious power house.

Tim did you name it Siete Leguas after the tequila, or Pancho Villa's horse? I'm leaning towards the horse, as if you drank the tequila, you couldn't walk seven leagues!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

It was named for Pancho Villas horse. It was an excellent steed, and carried him on many excursions. I have a deep affection for that rifle, so I thought the name was fitting.
    Good picture here:
    http://www.mcguiresplace.net/Pancho%20Villa/

I know I'm weird, but I like to name my equipment, because a fine tool is so much more than a chunk of good steel. It almost has personality.
    Seite Leguas is a Sako AV, and was made within a few months of when I was born. It's my rifle. Can't thank Lovelife enough for making sure I wound up with it. It's much more special to me than any other in the safe.
    Attachment 84282
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 10-14-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I shoot the 290 gr. Bator Heavy at around 2100 fps. If you think that is too slow, look at and compare factory bullet weights and velocities. You will see that this is one serious power house.

Tim did you name it Siete Leguas after the tequila, or Pancho Villa's horse? I'm leaning towards the horse, as if you drank the tequila, you couldn't walk seven leagues!
    I should have no issues getting a 275gr. boolit to move along at 2k fps in a 20" 358 winchester build.

Something thats been on my mind is 2 or 3 grooves? I'm pretty sure I've settle on 1-14" twist.
    your ass tomorrow."

goodsteel,
    Thats a fine looking rifle you built.

I was thinking about staying with the plastic stock but seen this web site http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ and for a few more $$ I could have a sharp looking wood stock. Only time will see what I do but the door is wide open.
    your ass tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    goodsteel,
    Thats a fine looking rifle you built.

I was thinking about staying with the plastic stock but seen this web site http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ and for a few more $$ I could have a sharp looking wood stock. Only time will see what I do but the door is wide open.
    Since Two of the Rifles I had built using the Boyd's FT Thumb Hole stocks I will chime in. I think they are a nice basic stock. By that I mean that they have no pillars installed so you may wish to add those and Bed the Rifle as well. Also it would be a good idea to get the option of there Pachmayr recoil pad unless you wish to do a grind install yourself.

As for stock selection it all depends on what weight barrel you are going to use. If you are going to use some Mag contours or a Heavy Mag Contour then the barrel channel of the FT Thumb Hole would be best.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    As for stock selection it all depends on what weight barrel you are going to use. If you are going to use some Mag contours or a Heavy Mag Contour then the barrel channel of the FT Thumb Hole would be best.
    I might be using an Axis rifle as the donor in 243, so the barrel would be a sporter weight.
    your ass tomorrow."

I've got friends that shoot 270, 280, 06 and 35whelen and they don't reload. It all makes 35 whelen brass and they give it to me. Now that's the kind of friends you can't help but love. Pick it up at the range too so i went whelen and love it.
    Having said that i love the 358 too. A light short action rifle is a treasure. You can't go wrong either way.
    Wish i had one of the new Browning BLR'S in the takedown version of .358.

Good luck with your choice...gotta feeling that 460's gonna be staying at home more now.

Boolit Master
    Think about a wildcat? Buy a Mag boltface for your Savage and do a 358/338 RUM. That should have plenty of pop to hunt anything on this continent, and about 90% of Africa.

Rich

Boolit Master
    I've long been a fan of the 35 bores, have had a 35 whelen ackley, had it re-chambered to 350 Rigby, then sold it and got a 350 rem mag. I mostly use j-bullets for hunting, but have shot a fair number of 200 gr WFN and 286 gr 3589's out of them.

If I was to build a cast specific 35 caliber with a goal of 2000 fps with up to 280 gr cast bullets, I'd build a 358 win with a 1-14" twist barrel. There is no reason to go with a larger case than necessary, the the 358 win is really ideally sized for cast bullets in the 200-280 gr range. The one concern is that the chambers dimensions work with whatever bullet you choose to shoot. Personally I'd design a custom mold to have the gas check right at the base of the neck, a 0.1" driving band in front of the canalure, 0.2" bore rider section and a tangential ogive to a 75% meplat. Per Mountain Molds online designer at a 280 gr weight that design ends up with the base of the bullet just flush with the neck.

Have the mold made and send some dummy cartridges to your smith to have the chamber match the bullet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast