MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Fishing for pike

Boolit Grand Master

River Fishing for pike

Wife and I went river fishing this weekend, nothing real big but sure had fun
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Your in MT and your fishing for them darn water snakes? Where are all the trout? lol Pretty nice fish you two. Looks like you had fun.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lights View Post
    Your in MT and your fishing for them darn water snakes? Where are all the trout? lol Pretty nice fish you two. Looks like you had fun.
    Oh we catch plenty of those mountain carp too
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Man, you guys did GREAT! Once a pone a Time, I did my best to fish as much as I could, but never the passion that I had for hunting! Those days long gone! Never got to fish for Pike, do those size of Pike give a good fight? I heard that they are good to eat if you know what you are doing, and we all know that you do!!
    I never caught a Walleye (as you say see, my spelling has not improve!) I really like eating Crappie that comes from COLD water.
    Great Job.
    G

Boolit Grand Master

Greg they put up a pretty good fight, are runners and can strip line lickity split and turn into rollers when landed. Northerns tear up more tackle than any other type of fish I catch. There is a cleaning station right by where we were fishing so they got filleted right then and packed in ice. They are fine eating and in my experience the bigger the better, easier to find big bones than tiny ones, they have Y bones just like a rainbow and I usually don't remove them. Walleye are still number one for me when it comes to eating, love that white, flakey boneless fillet.
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    I like pike fun to catch and great eating. I catch my biggest pike of the year while catfishing at night, but they are always welcome in my blacklight lit boat. Looks like you have several "keepers" in them photos.......good on you.

Boolit Master
    Very nice! There is nothing like a good pike fight and it is my favorite by far of any fish to eat! It looks like you really were doing well, when they are hitting it is a ball of fun to bring a bunch of them home.
    I have been hoping to nail a few below Morony dam on the Missouri where we have been setlining for catfish but so far haven't had any luck at all in the river for pike this year at least! The weather has even put off the walleye up at Holter so far it seems, everytime we have been up so far all we can seem to catch are those stinky pink trout I was raised a trout fisherman but converted to fish that taste way better as soon as I could and now am very active in the Walleye's Unlimited chapter here and couldn't be happier with walleye and pike!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy
    Dang if that doesn't look tasty as my mind floats in the cooked and ready to eat stages of those "purty"fish! My rumbles in my stomach sounds agreement!
    I really love to fish!Spring visit to nephews in Louisiana.
    Attachment 75669
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    I like pike fun to catch and great eating. I catch my biggest pike of the year while catfishing at night, but they are always welcome in my blacklight lit boat. Looks like you have several "keepers" in them photos.......good on you.
    Mike I keep pike too, to damned got eating to throw back! Instead of poormans lobster I think of it as halibut with bones
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Cowboy I'm trying to get time to get on the river below Morony, I like catfish too.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    Dang if that doesn't look tasty as my mind floats in the cooked and ready to eat stages of those "purty"fish! My rumbles in my stomach sounds agreement!
    I really love to fish!Spring visit to nephews in Louisiana.
    Attachment 75669
    Cosmic; just right fur eatin, get da cornmeal and oil!
    Charter Member #148

Well said Cowboy.
    Wish we had some decent fish around here. Nothing but trout and I dont like eating them unless they are smoked.
    Last edited by reloader28; 07-13-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Smoked or pressure canned, either way works for me.
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    Iffin we is talking pressure canning I will take the lowly white sucker please....takes about 1/2 hour to catch a years worth of meat and that is without using the 9X9 net hanging from the bridge

Boolit Master
    The catfish are biting well at the next FAS down from Morony, I trust you know the name of it. I hear that the FAS close to the dam is shut down due to maintenance so everybody is moving to the next one which makes putting out setlines tougher and having them not get checked out. When we were down there a few nights ago to pull them in a couple fishing there had caught two bass and two nice sized pike, as well as some cats. We took 3 bullheads (tossed back) a carp the size of my leg that had a mouth nearly as big as my fist, a couple suckers, a good sized drum and a couple cats off of 6 lines. The fishing is good right now but too crowded for us especially setting lines, so we will wait till the Morony access close to Great Falls opens back up and takes some of the people back before we go there again to fish, just as a heads up.

Oh and take bug spray and watch for snakes, this is the first year there have ever been many down by the water there, usually it isn't but they are there in the tall grass now and will let you know about it!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master

I heard some fencing got washed out and is snagged up at the lauch below Morony, so they closed it until removed. I don't know the next access downstream, haven't fished that part of the misery.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Mike I've never tried canned sucker, but have no reason to believe it wouldn't be just like tuna. Years ago(10 or more) the wife made up a bunch of pickled northern, wasn't bad at all, made with vinegar, cream and all the spices had to keep it refrigerated. She also makes red caviar about once a year, usually in the fall, thats the other thing from mountain carp..errrrr rainbow thats good.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy View Post
    The catfish are biting well at the next FAS down from Morony, I trust you know the name of it. I hear that the FAS close to the dam is shut down due to maintenance so everybody is moving to the next one which makes putting out setlines tougher and having them not get checked out. When we were down there a few nights ago to pull them in a couple fishing there had caught two bass and two nice sized pike, as well as some cats. We took 3 bullheads (tossed back) a carp the size of my leg that had a mouth nearly as big as my fist, a couple suckers, a good sized drum and a couple cats off of 6 lines. The fishing is good right now but too crowded for us especially setting lines, so we will wait till the Morony access close to Great Falls opens back up and takes some of the people back before we go there again to fish, just as a heads up.

Oh and take bug spray and watch for snakes, this is the first year there have ever been many down by the water there, usually it isn't but they are there in the tall grass now and will let you know about it!

What's the name of that Fishing Access Site, not familiar with it.
    Charter Member #148