Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 tcm load data

Boolit Master
    I wonder if I got this mold, and milled enough off the top to get it down to 40 grains, if it would feed in my RIA 1911?

https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c225-55-rf.html

Thoughts?

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

I've used a couple of different cast for mine. both 37 gr. NOE is best, yes mold is more than a lee, but I bought a 6 cavity during a sale and I've cast more than I'll probably ever use. I use H110 and w296 (same powderbtw) with good results. started with about 10gr and I stopped at 12. I'll look up the mold, it is a gc base, and I've both lubed with gc and PCd them plain. PC is easier and works well. Be careful with factory ammo and cheap or thin steel plates, it will punch through them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I suspect that Lee will have to much nose forward to feed. These guns take a very short bullet. The Lyman 225438 at 44-45 grains works about perfectly. I PC and gascheck mine, 0 FTF and 0 leading. My daughter shoots the crap out of this pistol.

Boolit Buddy
    22 TCM mmm. Unfortunalty we can't get pistols in the UK. Sooo I was thinking.

A straight pull AR chambered in 22 TCM - I have looked but can find mags to fit so would need to play around with getting it to feed.

What barrel length would you suggest? Also I've not seen any suppressed 22 TCM anybody got one?

In the UK we shoot a lot of T&P and 1500 type events using pistol cartridges, mainly 38 & 44 underlevers, so the max competition distance would be 50 meters. I think that a 16 inch barrel is the shortest we are allowed (but need to check that out)

Boolit Master
    Hmmm... well, I know this will be blasphemous to post in this forum, but... I am a huge fan of cast bullets, and have more molds and casting equipment than I can count. But in this case, with factory original projectiles available for only 6 cents each, I just can't justify casting them.

https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/...ducts_id=20074

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    I bought a 5" TCM 3-4 years ago. Got an NOE 40 flat point mould. 10.8g 296 gives about 2200 f/s, nice big fireball !
    Such a hoot to bring to the range !
    Just got the MiHec Hornet mould - 35g hp. Looking forward to working up a load with that. Guessing 11-11.5g 296
    Side note, my newly minted cop son took the TCM to range day, SWAT LT asked "what possible purpose does that serve?". Then he shot it, .........."OK, I get it ". Shot a whole box of ammo blowing up water bottles ! lol
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Bub
    Folks, have 3 questions on TCM (for 5 inch barrel)

1) is there a recent hand loading manual (book), that I could buy that includes .22 TCM data? ( I checked Nolser Guide 8, Lee 2017, Lyman 50th) and non of them have .22 TCM.
    I know there are bunch of add on to manualls and other reference, I just want to see if there is a book where .22 TCM is a 'first class citizen' so to speak

2) What is the lowest speed load (preferably Unique or Lil'Gun) + bullet weight that would still cycle the standard 5-inch RIA 1911, standard factory spring

I saw in OP
    2.5 unique - 1023 fps 27.3 sd
    But not clear if it will cycle

3)
    If I am to get 2 molds .22 TCM (not .22 R Tcm) that would cover widest variety of applications (eg from target practice to light varmint control)
    What molds should I be looking it? Do they need to be gas check or plain

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NHPaul View Post
    OK finally found a use for that 8lb jug of LilGun in my garage!! LilGun is the perfect powder IMHO for 22 tcm. Just a bit faster burning than H110. Huge fireball? gone. Still has a pretty good bark though. and I was getting 2300-2500 fps over the chrony. I shot some 11.0 grain lilgun with 47 grain cast GC bullets and 40 grain j-word bullets, cycled the gun fine and didnt get chronied. then I shot 11.5 grain of lilgun with the same bullets got errors shooting the 47 grain lead but the 40 grain Jacketed armscor bullets were all 2438-2502 fps no signs of over pressure, gun cycled flawlessly , No recoil of course. 11.5 grains is about all that will fit in a 22 tcm case.
    Lil Gun puts up some impressive numbers in 357 Magnum too. Be careful with rapid fire, Lil Gun burns HOT!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12