Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keepsakes & cherished possessions

Boolit Grand Master

Keepsakes & cherished possessions

Pullin' stuff out of cabinets to move into the new gunroom, I ran across something that means a lot to me. I thought "I need to share this story with the guys."

My mother has a sister that's affectionately known in the family as 'Aunt Betty'. Aunt Betty's husband, Uncle Bob, died many years ago from failing health. A few years later, Aunt Betty started seeing a fine gentleman that became known as 'Uncle Roy'.

Uncle Roy was a vet and served in the Marines in the Pacific theatre during WWII. When I found out about that, I started asking him about his experiences. I would sit for hours on the patio with him and listen to his war stories.

He called me one day. "I want you to come over to Betty's house this afternoon. I want to talk with you." "Yes Sir."

I met him and as usual, we retired to the patio. He began telling me a story I had not heard before. I don't know that I can quote him verbatim as it's been a long time, but in light of that, I'll reconstruct it the best I can.

"I was with the first wave that landed on Iwo Jima. Me and my sqaud were at one end of the assault wave. Just a few minutes after we made the beach, a Japanese machine gun opened up on us. I lost two men before we could hit the sand. They had us pinned behind a dune and if we had tried to charge the beach, it would have been suicide for all of us.

The dune ran down the beach to the right a good ways. I figured I could get down the beach using the dune for cover and I might could work my way up behind them. I took a man with me and told the rest of the men to keep the machine gun nest occupied.

When we got to the end of the dune, we saw that there was enough cover to get up behind a dune behind the machine gun nest. We worked our way up and then back to the left and finally got real close behind the Japs. I signalled to the other guy to shoot the gunner and belt man when I gave him the signal. I pulled out my knife and crawled up real easy. I jumped up, grabbed the officer by the front of his helmet, snatched his head back and cut his throat. My buddy shot the gunner and belt man in the back with his 45."

Uncle Roy stopped talking. He reached around behind him and pulled out something. "Here, I want you to have this. You're the only sonofabitch in the family that will appreciate it."

This is what he handed me.

It's outright overpowering to hold this knife in my hands. Uncle Roy is no longer with us in body. But, as long as I'm alive, he will be.

Awesome, just plain awesome. Quite a treasure.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    I got nothing on that. Nothing.

That Jim, is something that needs to be kept in the family

Boolit Grand Master

Not only kept in the family, Jim. Write that story down and sign it. As best you can date when he told you. Print it out on nice paper and keep it with the knife.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Great idea Wayne

Boolit Master

Yes that is a great idea....the story behind the knife on paper.
    Very neat story that keeps you riveted to read to the end Jim.

Boolit Master

Your "Uncle Roy" was a real man and a real hero. What a story and what a keepsake. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    That is a priceless heirloom and witness to history. Preserve it and the story carefully so that following generations may learn. You are lucky Jim, you should be honored that he trusted you with the story and the knife.
    My father also fought in the S. Pacific...Navy, his ship torpedoed out from under him.....I could never get him to talk about it (he died when I was 13) but I overheard him talking to my uncle. I envy you.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Very nice Jim, things like that truly matter and should be passed down. I have Pop's uniform, his medals, paperwork, newdpaper articles written about him when he got home and the slug and part of his flak vest that got hit. Sadly though I'm the only one in the family that cares about that stuff and we never had children. There is a war museum here though which I think I'll donate it all too when my time comes....I know they would love to have it.

Moderator Emeritus

a heck of a story
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Help of a story, reminds us of the days when men were men. Keep it in the family and cherish it forever.

Jim, I've got a tear...
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master

My father fought through 4 years in the Pacific Theater. He joined as enlisted in 1941 and came out as a Captain. He went up with General MacArthur, through Fiji up to the Philippines and was on the beach when the famous Tin Can Sailors fought off the Japanese battleships. I have his M1 carbine, web belt, and other gear including dangerous 15 round magazines. If the current crop of laws pass in California I will be required to turn them over to the State for destruction. We have come a long way my friends.

Boolit Master

Outstanding, Jim. Maybe in a frame, with the narrative, under glass, in a special place - I would salute it...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Great story Jim
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Quote Originally Posted by Ramar View Post
    Jim, I've got a tear...
    Ramar
    Me Too - RIP Uncle Roy
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    My father fought through 4 years in the Pacific Theater. He joined as enlisted in 1941 and came out as a Captain. He went up with General MacArthur, through Fiji up to the Philippines and was on the beach when the famous Tin Can Sailors fought off the Japanese battleships. I have his M1 carbine, web belt, and other gear including dangerous 15 round magazines. If the current crop of laws pass in California I will be required to turn them over to the State for destruction. We have come a long way my friends.
    I have to ask, do the authorities know you have them??? There is no way I would turn them, I'm pretty sure I could come up with something, maybe even legal. lol

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have to ask, do the authorities know you have them???
    They do now!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

That is a GREAT story and your Uncle was a GREAT MAN!! I really like reading your stories glad your back!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Send those puppies to me. They will rest with honor in a nice walnut display box along with your story.

By return mail I will send pretty little 10 round magazines so you can keep exercising DADS CARBINE in his memory.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast