RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circa 1890 LC Smith 10 gauge damascus

Boolit Master

Circa 1890 LC Smith 10 gauge damascus

Picked up a circa 1890 LC Smith 10 gauge with 2 7/8" chambers 30" damascus barrels bored mod and mod .

Shot some skeet with this bad boy but mostly I've been making buckshot loads and shooting patterns at 25 yards !

I use a Remington or Federal case trimmed to 2 7/8" , 30 grains of SR7625 , a Remington SP-10 wad , a 209 primer (WIN , REM STS or CCI) and 1 1/4 ounces of shot normally #6 or #8 . For buckshot I use everything the same except the shot and load either eight "000 Buck" , twelve "00 Buck" , sixteen "#1 Buck" , twentyeight "#3 Buck" or thirtytwo "#4 Buck" . The buck loads are closer to 1 1/2 ounce but it seems to do okay in all three of my short 10's !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Some patterns with the LC at 25 yards .

This thing seems to like 000 , 00 , 1 , 3 and 4 buck !

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Simplicity and deer killability were my main objectives and I'd say they were met as long as I don't shoot at over 30-35 yards .

We've been Damage Control Hunting for deer and bear on a couple pieces of property since early july . And we've taken a few so far . So tonight I loaded 10 rounds with 000 Buck and 10 rounds with #1 Buck . I have a thick little funnel leading out to a soy bean field I'm gonna sit a couple days next week . The deer will be within bow range if I can see them so they oughtta be just about right for my buckshot loads in that old LC !

I love LC smiths...and in a 10...you lucky dog...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Box13 View Post
    I love LC smiths...and in a 10...you lucky dog...
    Thanks !

Thats actually my third LC . This is a Quality 2 Syracuse style . The others I have are a Ideal Grade 12 and a Field Grade 12 that was damascus and sent to Westley Richards and now has fluid steel barrels !

This is also my third 10 gauge double .

Have an Ithaca NID 10 gauge 2 7/8" 32" fluid steel ful and full . As well as my grandfathers old pre 1890 hammerless W&C Scott 10 gauge damascus 2 7/8" 30" full and full .

I would like to find a decent Parker hammerless 10 gauge with damascus barrels and quite possible a Lefever .

Boolit Master

Those old doubles leave a mark don't they? On you and the target!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Those old doubles leave a mark don't they? On you and the target!
    I remember as a kid shooting my grandfather's L.C. Smith 12-gauge at blackbirds in the tree next to the house. Both barrels a the same time. Now, *that* had a kick to it.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Thanks !

Thats actually my third LC . This is a Quality 2 Syracuse style . The others I have are a Ideal Grade 12 and a Field Grade 12 that was damascus and sent to Westley Richards and now has fluid steel barrels !

This is also my third 10 gauge double .

Have an Ithaca NID 10 gauge 2 7/8" 32" fluid steel ful and full . As well as my grandfathers old pre 1890 hammerless W&C Scott 10 gauge damascus 2 7/8" 30" full and full .

I would like to find a decent Parker hammerless 10 gauge with damascus barrels and quite possible a Lefever .
    Baker made some nice 10 gauge guns also.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Well the dove shoot didn't pan out today but the deer on the DCP did !

Some pics from early while I was about 22-24 feet up my tree !

Had one of my 444's along just in case I saw one past 40 yards . This is a circa 1967 rifle I relbued and refinished the wood as it was about 3% blueing when I bought it . Shooting the Lyman 429244 HP with a goodly charge of H322 .

My Thermacell , until November I'm never without it !

Boolit Master
    Well long about 19:30 I looked directly below me and there was a doe about 4 yards from the base of the tree I was in !

Here's one from my seat using the I Phone !

And another from the same place with the zoom on my Nikon CoolPix !

And some pics when I got down !

I shot the right barrel which had my handloaded #1 Buck with 16 pelletes . I aimed right at the whithers of the deer as she was to close to go in from the side . Anyway it looked like 10 or so went in right where I aimed . When I skinned the deer about 2 inches of the backbone was gone there . I also found a pellet in the elbow of one of the front legs .

Well I realize 4 yards really isn't a fair test . But next time I'll go with #3 Buck in the right barrel and 000 Buck in the left barrel !

Boolit Master
    Congratulations! It is always good when a plan comes together and results in meat for the freezer. I have not hunted with my either of 10 gauge guns (Baker and an Elsie). You may inspire me to go out with the Baker.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 09-04-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Congratualtions! It is always good when a plan comes together and results in meat for the freezer. I have not hunted with my either of 10 gauge guns (Baker and an Elsie). You may inspire me to go out with the Baker.

Lets see with my W&C Scott 10 I've killed deer and dove , as well as trap and skeet birds . With this LC I've killed the lone deer and some skeet birds . I have an inclanation to pop a couple squirrels and rabbits with my W&C just because it was my grandfathers !

The deer I killed with the W&C a couple seasons back .

Boolit Master
    I had thought this old LC Smith was the oldest gun I'd killed a deer with .

But a day or two ago I was able to date my grandfathers old W&C Scott 10 gauge that I killed a deer with about 3 seasons ago . It was made in 1881 or 1882 .

The old W&C is also good on dove . Well that is if they're flying !

Boolit Master
    Here's the Ithaca NID 10 gauge with fluid steel barrels we've had a number of years and finally last year I got around to shooting it some .

Anyway I have this one ready to go with #3 Buck in the right barrel and 000 in the left barrel !

Boolit Master
    Depending on how the year goes with the buckshot I have a pair of 16's I wouldn't mind plowing a deer with as well !

Ones a 1911 Parker GH damascus and the others a AH Fox A grade that was made the first year Fox was made in Utica .

And last but not least I have a pair of Philly Sterlingworths I wanna eventually kill deer with as well !

Ones a 12 gauge with 26' IC/M barrels and the others a 20 gauge with 28" M/F barrels !

20 gauge Sterlingworth ,

12 gauge Sterlingworth ,

Boolit Master
    Here is an old Ithaca for you to look at.

This is from when Baker and LC Smith went together and founded Ithaca Gun Company. LC provided finances and WHB provided gun design. This is a New Baker Gun, 10gauga, twist steel barrels and rebounding hammers. I have not used it on game but because of this thread, I am considering it.

Boolit Master
    Well this evening I went back to the same place I was at Labor Day monday evening !

I was just about ready to start getting down and a deer walked out beneath me and I dusted it with my old Parker GH 16 gauge damascus gun shooting my handloaded shells with 10 of the #1 Buck pellets , Remington SP-16 wad and 21 grains of Unique . At the boom of the gun the deer folded up as I aimed at the base of the head and since it was less then 10 yards from the base of the tree well you get the picture . When I fired I heard another one behind me walking around so I laid the Parker down and picked up my circa 2001 Marlin 444 loaded with the Mountain Molds Mt Sourdough 433-425GC bullet I had cast and pushed with 37 grains of RL-7 . Another one stepped out above me by about 15 yards and I drilled her behind the shoulder . She went 10 yards and fell back in a small ravine !

The Parker GH 16 gauge damascus gun ,

The Parker and my 2001 Marlin 444 .

By the time I got down the tree it was pretty dark and my pics ain't so great .

Next trip back in here I'll take my Ithaca NID 10 gauge #3 Buck in the right barrel and 000 buck in the left barrel .

I had no idea you were into old doubles. Not only that, but you have some nice ones.

Do you shoot black powder in your Damascus Barrels?

We are having an influx of "Micro Doves" out here in CA. I have seen exactly two full sized Mourning Doves this year and both were in my Front yard. The only other birds I have seen flying were the little ones which aren't much bigger than a Starling.

They all must have left Bakersfield and just bypassed us and went to Mexico.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast