Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best (Friendly-est) die set for the AR Platform in 5.56?

Boolit Buddy

Question Best (Friendly-est) die set for the AR Platform in 5.56?

who Makes the Best (Friendly-est) die set for the AR Platform in 5.56?
    I read about 223 will not size down nuff and they have issues with stuck cases and cases that will not chamber at all, so what have you all had experience with not what ya hear what are you using?
    we have a new Colt and need a good die set first go around at a cry-baby-price if posb.

I read some about "it's all in the Lube" sizing forums so I am up on that,
    and I have seen some about use of a Boat Tail vs-PB and there cocking bad or even gettin shaved bad on set,,

so let ua know what your using and why not buy "Brand-X"

We Plan on Using J-Words for now as we have no Mold for the 5.56 as of yet so that will be next topic, haha

TIA for any Help you may be

Patrick
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Boolit Master

The majority of my .223 loading is done with a set of Lee dies and I have won quite a few matches with such ammo. Never had a case stick in either the dies or the chamber, and zero feeding issues. As long as you chamfer/debur the case mouth before seating, you won't shave a bullet. If you are truly concerned about having issues chambering ammo, get a set of RCBS small base dies, which will reduce the case to minimum dimensions. I have a set of those dies and they work well, but I have never had problems loading with standard dies.

Whatever equipment you settle on, remember not to reload your cases too many times. The brass gets worked each time and the AR15 does not do well with a case head separation. That happened to a shooter on the firing line in the station next to me. He was a competent, meticulous reloader and excellent shooter who pushed his cases a few times too many and reduced a $2500 match rifle into a pile of scrap.

Boolit Master

I use Lee dies for my sons 5.56 upper, never had an issue that was sizing die related.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are having case sticking problems, then I would suggest small base dies. Lee makes a set, if I remember correctly. Also, as nhrifle said, champher and debur the mouth, if you still have problems then you can order flairing tool to expand the mouth more than the standard die. http://leeprecision.com/delux-rifle-3-di-223-rem.html , http://leeprecision.com/custom-flari...ee-loader.html, http://leeprecision.com/custom-oversized-mandrel.html

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-...ords=.223+dies

http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Small-Bas...ords=.223+dies

hope that helps.

I would go with a full length resizer and a neck sizer. Full lenght for new-to-you once fires, and neck only for your once fired.

Boolit Grand Master

Standard RCBS X-die set will do nicely. No need for the "small base" or "AR" X-dies for milspec 5.56 chamber. With the X-die you will get excellent case life and will not have to trim the cases either.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Yep, what the others say. And it does sound like you need the small base sizing die. What I can add is that I've grown fond of using my Wilson chamber seating die set for the tiny bullet. I don't fumble them or drop them on the floor with it. They are a bit pricey, and you'll need an arbor press, but the cat's meow.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

I use a regular RCBS full length die set and so far haven't had problems, but an X-die set is on my wish list. I hate trimming cases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Standard RCBS X-die set will do nicely. No need for the "small base" or "AR" X-dies for milspec 5.56 chamber. With the X-die you will get excellent case life and will not have to trim the cases either.

Larry Gibson
    Would annealing the cases periodically help extend case life? I have read that auto-rifle cases get worked more than other actions types, and work-hardening happens. ????

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    Would annealing the cases periodically help extend case life? I have read that auto-rifle cases get worked more than other actions types, and work-hardening happens. ????
    Yes, annealing case necks does help counteract the work-hardening effects of constant resizing. However, you must take care when annealing not to go too low and weaken the web of the case. Also, annealing the case necks does nothing to prevent case head separation. One other thing you can do is get a carbide sizing button (hornady sells replacement carbide buttons that fit RCBS dies, and replace their stock steel ones) which stretch the case less as they resize, because they are "slicker" and don't need to be lubed.

Boolit Master

I'm in the midst of trying to get an AR build started, so I've paid attention to this. I had not considered the carbide sizer, but it makes perfect sense. I have some carbide pistol dies, and it polishes the cases when it re-sizes them. Thanks for the info. For annealing, I would put them in a pan of water, and knock them over when properly heated. That would protect the web. As for head separation, a stainless steel wire with a small crook in the end, run down the inside, should detect that developing. That isn't as great a consideration in a bolt rifle, but we are talking an auto rifle in this instance. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Usafrox View Post
    I use a regular RCBS full length die set and so far haven't had problems, but an X-die set is on my wish list. I hate trimming cases.
    Yep, me too - really dislike case trimming. By the end of high power season next year, I will have worked my way through a 2K+ lot new LC 11 cases. I plan on using X die only on this batch. Mrs. Sundog bought me a RCBS power trimmer for my birfday (lucky me!). They'll get the obligatory one time trim. This old [sun]dog is looking forward to learning new tricks.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

Have you looked into the various automated annealing machines? There's expensive ones that you can buy already made, or if you are slightly mechanically apt, you can build your own. I plan to build my own sometime in the (hopefully) near future. Soo many projects, so little time...

There are a couple of threads on this forum about annealing machines, and such. And if you do a google search for "homemade annealing machine" you'll find a bunch of stuff, as well.

I mention this, because when I tried to envision how you would go about annealing things standing in a pan of water, it seemed like a difficult process, and time consuming. Maybe I just don't have a good enough imagination, though...

I’ve been loading for the AR since 1981, and I have never had a problem using standard RCBS 223 dies. I’ve been using standard Lee dies for the last 10 years or so, again with absolutely no sticking problems. In fact, I can’t remember ever talking to anybody who has had that problem. Ask around and see if you can find someone who has personally had a 223 die that wouldn’t size down enough.
    I recommend getting a standard set of Lee dies. They’re inexpensive and less likely to break a decapping pin on a crimped primer than the RCBS dies. I use an RCBS lube pad with RCBS lube when sizing, that’s my recommendation for lube.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ElDorado View Post
    I use an RCBS lube pad with RCBS lube when sizing, that’s my recommendation for lube.
    I haven't been loading for anywhere nearly as long as you, but I just couldn't get the RCBS case lube pad and lube to work for me. I obviously must have been putting too much on, but I ended up pushing hydraulic dents into the shoulders of my cases and I ruined about 40 cases. Since then, I've used Hornady Unique sizing wax, and it works like a charm. I've never stuck a case using either lube, but the Unique wax is just incredibly easy, as well. I simply swipe my finger in the wax, then twist the case body (not the shoulders or neck) inbetween my waxed fingers before sizing. That's all it takes. One swipe in the wax will do several cases, and when my finger starts to feel like the wax is getting low, I just swipe it again in the wax. Never puts hydraulic dents in the cases, either.

Again, I freely admit that me ruining my cases using the RCBS case lube was because of my own inexperience using it, but instead of continuing to ruin cases while trying to learn how to do it right, I just went to the Unique wax, which is so much easier, with no learning curve.

Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    It might but after 20+ firings in an AR the case has pretty much given its "all" in my opinion.

Larry Gibson

Usafox-

You're right, I had dented cases at first, but I guess I've figured out how to use it. That was so long ago that I forgot about it.

When I started reloading, there weren't as many shopping choices as there are today, and the LGS only sold RCBS equipment, so that's how I started using their lube. I tried Imperial after hearing so many glowing recommendations on the web, but I found its lubrication properties to be inferior to RCBS. I think lanolin has some potential, but I haven't done enough experimentation to verify.

Truthfully, I've never heard of Unique, but if it works for you, it works for me.

Boolit Master

i use a Redding set
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

It's probably a known fact to many people, but it was something I had to be told by one of my reloading mentors some years ago. Dents in the shoulder when sizing are caused by lube not being able to escape under pressure. Simple enough to fix -- just don't lube the shoulder. No harm is caused by doing this and the neck and shoulder are left without deformation. After the many, many thousands of rounds I have loaded this way, I can say it works and does not harm either the brass or dies. I would not hesitate to use a little graphite on the inside of the case neck to make sizing easier though.

By the way, those lube-dented cases are usually OK to shoot. The dents will pop out and you can try again next time.

Boolit Master

Something to consider is getting a stuck case remover. It a fine dance to either get to much lube and get dents in the shoulder and not enough lube and rip the rim off the case and then have a stuck case. Easy enough to remove with the stuck case remover but it really ticks you off if you have to stop loading if you do not have one. The Dillon carbide sizer is nice but you still have to slightly lube the cases but it gives you more latitude on getting stuck cases.
    gmsharps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast