Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: opinion or suggestions?

opinion or suggestions?

Thanx for looking.
    I plan on casting for 9mm to shoot thru my G19.i haven't decided on a barrel yet. What bullet profiles and charges do you like for a real azzkicker.
    The highest patriotism is not a blind acceptance of official policy, but a love of one's country deep enough to call her to a higher plain.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 356-120-TC cast at BHN 12 - 14, sized .357-.358, lubed with soft NRA 50/50 type lube and loaded over 4 gr Bullseye.

Larry Gibson

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    a lee 356124 on top of 8lbs Unique?
    That oughta kick some ***.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Lmao ...good 1. lee 356124 on top of 8lbs Unique?
    That oughta kick some ***. [/QUOTE]
    The highest patriotism is not a blind acceptance of official policy, but a love of one's country deep enough to call her to a higher plain.

My practice bullet is teh Magma 124grTCFP, the Lee 120gr is sim. For azzkicking, I like this bullet.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Try a 90gr cast RN @ 1900fps (opps, 38 super load) forgot them girl guns cant handle it

thats donkey kicking at its best
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

Check out the stickie on "Setting up a new 9mm for boolits"

Larry gets the "best correct short answer" prize! Believe what he
    says.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

It sounds as if you haven't settled on a boolit or a barrel yet. First of all, I have Glocks but do not have stock 9mm barrels for my Glocks. I do however have several friends with stock Glock 17s, 19s, and 26 models. The loads I shoot through my Glocks have been shot through a lot of stock barrels. I have Glocks on 40 S&W through which I shoot 9mm with Lone Wolf conversion barrels. I also shoot them through S&W 459, 639, and 659, a Taurus PT 709 slim, and a Marlin Camp Carbine. Same loads for all of the above guns, many for over 28 years.

That being said, I load the Lee 356-125 2R, the 356-120 TC, and the 358-105 SWC, sized to .358 over 5 grains of Unique. Zero leading and 2" groups at 25 yards has been pretty universal. I have used W231, Bullseye, but mostly Unique. The alloy has been rather soft range scrap to straight wheel weights. The lube has been everything from very soft home made lube to very hard Carnuba Red. The only time I had issues with leading or with accuracy was when sizing smaller than .358 diameter.

My current favorite is the 356-120 TC which as cast throws .3585 and weighs 125 grains. The TC profile almost perfectly matches the radius on the Taurus 709. I like the flat nose vs the RN profile for the way it punches targets and for the larger cavity left in testing media. For the past few months I've been shooting this boolit a lot, powder coated flat black, and of course sized to .358 diameter.

I haven't PCd the 125 2R but have actually played with some 356-102 1R boolits (105 as cast) and powder coated with a slightly higher charge of Unique. I prefer at least 125 grains in the 9mm but just felt like playing around a bit. I hope this has been helpful, good luck!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

I have two Lee molds in 9mm I particularly like: 124 grain RN and a 120 grain TC. Both traditional lube; both work equally well.

The only *** kicking my 9mm cast loads attempt are of the paper variety and the occasional metal plate. For that I prefer Ramshot True Blue and I load per their recommendations ... usually mid range.

Barrel choice is a whole 'nother can of worms if you're a Glocker.

Boolit Master

I am pretty sure that when I order a 9mm mold, it will be an Accuate 35-125B.

I have the Accurate 45-230F, which is the same basic profile. What I wanted when I ordered it was something big meplat, but feedramp friendly. It casts wonderfully and delivers the goods from a shooting and function standpoint - now I just need some wild pigs and coyotes to walk in front of me to test the terminal side of things. Don't see why the same theories wouldn't hold true in 9mm.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQJOE View Post
    a lee 356124 on top of 8lbs Unique?
    That oughta kick some ***.
    8LB should do more than kick A__ .
    By the way is that a compressed powder load?
    Last edited by jeepyj; 09-03-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj