WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: First game with Lyman 358315 HP and 357 Maximum

Boolit Buddy

First game with Lyman 358315 HP and 357 Maximum

I have been hankering to put the hammer down on something with this bullet out of my NEF 357 Max and I finally did it today on the season opener here in Montana.

1 shot, 135 yards (factory irons). Slight quartering-to shot which clipped the rear point of the right shoulder and exited just in front of the diaphram.

Air-cooled WW and loaded over 17.2gr of 5744 for approximately 1700fps.

Entry hole was nice and round, a bit more bloodshot meat than I was expecting. Lungs were hashed. Exit hole looks like the bullet was tumbling as it exited. Full pass-thru.

I'll try and get pics of the gun, bullet, and wounds later ... I are tired.

Good stuff! I've been working with the 358315 HP in my .35 Remington leverguns and have been very pleased with its accuracy. You're right about the expansion properties -- it opens quickly and hits like a sledgehammer. At 2000 fps it fragments and leaves a ~100 grain wadcutter to punch through the other side. I have been working up loads that run 1800 fps or less because of this tendency.

I think that your .357 Max NEF would be just about perfect for this bullet.

I've also been playing with this bullet loaded into .357 Mag cases for use in my Ruger .357 Max revolver. I won't be able to push them nearly as fast as you are, but the way this bullet expands, I won't need to!
    Glen

Boolit Buddy
    My next effort with this bullet is to get it working out of my Browning BLR in 358 Winchester.

i have loaded it in my 35 remington xp100 pistol but got side tracked and never got loads worked up for it reason i ran into a great deal on 2000 j-word bullets and being lazy i went the easy way

Boolit Master

Nice shooting
    Even nicer for you to tag a deer with your loads

Just a FYI
    The 358315 in either a standard shape or HPed has more than the needed penatration needed for deer

I found out the hard way that a 358315 cast with a 50% pure lead soft nose , in a 357 Max TC Contender at 75 yards
    Will punch thru the buck you.........Err I was shooting at and still have enough steam to exit the doe 20 yards behind him
    The buck was hit thru the lungs side to side ( only hit ribs ) and the doe took it behind the last rib and exited thru the off shoulder

The 150 lb feild dressed buck ran 40 yds and the 70 lb feild dressed doe fell on the spot

Good thing I bought the extra tag

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

How do you cast it so the nose is pure soft lead and the bottom half of the bullet is suitably hard? Are you talking about annealing the nose?

Boolit Master

Another old thread brought up from the dead

Probably used the Bruce B Soft Point method. There is a sticky around here somewhere.