Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: ''New''Sav 340 222 Rem

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

''New''Sav 340 222 Rem

I have recently aquired 1. The word I've read is that they are top notch accuracy wise,give or take a front bbl band. It likely has a 1-11 twist and they are net rumored to shoot sub-50gr bullets well,so I might get away blunt 55gr . The 222 is also well suited to the shooting of cast boolits.

As a project gun what would you say to adding a bolt and bbl swap for 30-30 or better yet a 7-30 Waters AI?

Any suggestions for an easy casting FN boolit for the 222 that also plays nice in a 223 bolt gun ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    yes that is possible if you are patient and watch for a bolt. In your search you might even find a bolt for the 225. They are fun little guns as long as they are not hot rodded. I really like mine and I acknowledge its preassure limitations and have fun with it according to factory specs.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

I have very little casting experience with .22 centerfires, but the 340 I have in .30-30 is a fun little rifle and a good woods gun. If I were you, instead of the switch barrel idea, try to find yourself a good deal on another 340 in .30-30.

The .225 ones are kind of rare, I've only seen one that I can remember.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the .222 has a longer neck than the .223. That would be good for cast. After playing a bit with cast in the .22 Savage Highpower and pretty easily getting the kind of accuracy I could get with an iron sighted .22 LR at 25 yards. I'm beginning to think a small rifle like yours is the way to go. That load in the .22 Highpower was dirt cheap (6 grains of Unique) even allowing for the primer, still cheaper than .22 LR ammo nowadays if you can find it.

In Remembrance
    I second the idea of, watching for a good deal for another one in 30/30 if that is what you want. I picked up mine for 90 bucks, it would be hard to find a bolt and barrel for that.

Banned

I paid a little more than $90 for mine and thought it well worth it. Mine is the Sears one so it says something different on the barrel, but it's a 340. So ugly it's cute and handles and points and carries very nicely. Not a tackdriver, but decently accurate and I used mine for my first "small bore" cast bullet deer.

I wish someone would start making the 340 again, I think it would sell.

In Remembrance
    Mine is also a sears one, that needs the stock refinished. I haven't shot it a lot, but it shoots factory loads well. I had a problem with the mag when I got it, so bought another one from a member here and easily fixed the one that came with it. As far as ugly, they were designed and sold as a tool that works well, as long as it hits where I point it, I am fine with the looks. lol
    It is hard to say if they would sell well or not. We like them, but are likely a minor percentage of the market share. Savage still sells working tools that are just as good and probably cheaper with inflation figured in than these were in their heyday.

Boolit Grand Master

I started reloading for one in 222 many more years back than I care to remember. Great little rifles if you stay with less than max loads that are accurate.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned

I bet if they made new ones in 7.62x39, put a black plastic tacticool stock and piccatiny rails on it, they'd sell like hotcakes.

Only real problem with mine as a hunting rifle is you have to seat bullets deeper than you'd like because the ejection port is cut small so you can't eject a loaded round if it's of any longer than a factory .30-30.

There's a guy on Ebay who sells good machined aluminum scope mounts that are much better than the old stampe sheet steel ones that you usually see. It also gives you more fore and aft movement poytential of the rings.

I've got 3 of these... all 30-30s. 2 340s and one 325c

one is just a barreled action, and two with stocks... one kinda plain and one kinda less plain.

I found a couple extra mags as well, as they are getting hard to find.

I like them for the ease of handling. the receiver sights are avaible. I'd never put a scope on one.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Banned

I believe someone is making new magazines for them too.

Mine really likes the 36 gr. 225107 copy from NOE.....shoots better than jacketed.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Grand Master
    The 340 I had in .222 shot pretty good with Remington factory loads, not quite equal to the 788 Rem, but close. I was just getting started casting when I had it, so never tried it with boolits.

It did not have a barrel band, I guess when a previous owner out the Bishop stock on he forgot to drill the forearm.

Robert

Banned

There isn't muchholding one in the stock without that band. They'd probably be better shooters if they had a more conventional style with another screw holding it in at the tang.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Thanks guys . I always wanted full time varmiter.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .