Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: H&r 223 & wc820

Boolit Grand Master

H&r 223 & wc820

I shot some test ammo recently with WC820 in the H&R. All shooting was done at 50 yards from a Caldwell Lead Sled on a stable bench. The barrel has a 1:9 twist, is fitted with a Tasco 3X9X40 and I had the power set to 9. The black target squares are 7/8" across the flats.

This one was a dismal failure. WC820 needs pressure to burn properly and these little 33 grain bullets just don't provide the required resistance. I think a higher charge of powder would burn more dependably, but I was looking for accuracy at lower velocities. I have several 'failure to ignite' notes in my chrony data book on this test. The two touching shots left of the 4.4 target are not from the same group. One is from the 4.4 group and the other is from the 4.6 group.

The 50 grain Bator bullets did a little better, but I don't trust 820 at lower charges. The 4.0 load looks good and I might find it useable with more testing.

I got some half way decent results with NOE 225 60 RNs and 820. I'm going to test this again starting at 4.6 and going up to 5.5 in .1 grain increments.

I was expecting much better results with the NOE 225 60 RNs over Red Dot. This is the second test of this combination which is why there's only three groups. However, I was dealing with some stiff intermittant breezes and I think that was affecting my groups. I've had some very good results with Red Dot under Lyman 225415s in the past and I expect I can make it work with these bullets.

The breeze picked up and began to hold steady about 1 PM, so I did not complete my testing. I hope to be able to finish soon. I'll post results as they're generated.

Boolit Master

Jim, I've used a bunch of WC820 under 22-55-SPHPs in the .223 at 10.0 grains and it does pretty fair. Look at my articles on castpics on the .223 and cast./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, John, 820 works well when you put enough in the case to make it burn. I was hoping to find a low velocity load with it. Alas, it is not to be with 820.