Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Any difference between old Pyrodex and new Pryodex?

Any difference between old Pyrodex and new Pryodex?

I just opened my last old canister of Pyrodex. It was purchased new in 1982 and the canister is made primarily of cardboard. It works fine, but seems a little less powerful than the current stuff. Just wondering if there has been any change in the recipe over the years. I don't think humidity is the issue because this can was kept in a climate controlled area.

Boolit Master

I haven't used Pyrodex since about 1988 where I bought a can of it and didn't like it. It was supposed to be cleaner burning than real stuff, it wasn't. It was supposed to clean up easier than the real stuff and it didn't. So I never messed with it again.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    Oldest Pyrodex I've shot was 2002, it worked fine.

Boolit Grand Master

I have some older Pyrodex like 20+ years old and it still works fine. I haven't heard they changed the formula. They usually put something like that on the can if they do, like New improved formula. I'm sure they probably have done some minor tweaking over the years. Mine isn't stored in what I would call a climatized place either. The garage. Dry here but does get hot at times. It is in a plastic container too.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Have half a cardboard can from the mid-70s. That was enough for me. Doubt they've changed the formula much otherwise all the earlier pressure and load data would have to be updated with warnings plastered all over the place.

Same formula, but it does degrade over time. The time depends on the storage conditions. Nasty stuff all the same.

-Nobade

The only reason I am using Pyrodex is that I have one rifle that does best with it. I have 8 blackpowder guns and all of them do great with real blackpowder, except for a .58 Lyman Trade Rifle (made in '78) that insist on pyrodex. Murphy's Law, I guess.

Boolit Buddy
    There may be a small difference in your older cans of Pyrodex from what is being made today and not because of the age or how it was stored. If I remember correctly back in the 1980's they had an accident and the original inventor of Pyrodex died and took part of the original formula with him. Experiments had to be done, the powder was reverse engineered and for a short while the propellant was hard to find but the powder was re-introduced and claimed to be and perform exactly the same as the old.

Pete

Boolit Master
    where real black powder does not go bad. pyrodex degrades fast .

I know guys that have had good luck with Pyrodex but, not me. It used to hangfire some and I went to Goex Black ffg with no problems. I wish anybody that uses it, good luck.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Buddy
    pyro p works great in my whites and knights! am i missing something? 90grns of pyro p behind a 450grn pp conical is deadly accurate and clean up is no worse than 777 or black. i guess each to thier own.

Idaho may not have the humidity of the South. I believe Pyrodex is more hygroscopic than blackpowder or 777, and I know that Pyrodex is more corrosive. Other than that, it is great.
    Last edited by hornady308; 08-30-2013 at 07:11 PM.

In a couple of traditional rifles i shoot pyrodex works as well as black.When i tried it in a 20ga and 12ga smooth bores with patched RB is when the black shot much better.My 20 year old plastic jug still shot like the new stuff i had.

Good stuff i believe.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    If you've got powder that 20 years old. You haven't been shooting enough. No big deal if its lost a little of its zip. But that said. I'm not fond of Pyrodex myself. I much prefer to roll my own as I know my powder doesn't get much of a chance to age. A motto to remember: Unlike cheese. Powder doesn't get better with age.

I would guess it's just the fact that it's aged, but I'm no chemist. :-p

OP- Are you sure it's weaker or could you be tricking yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    where real black powder does not go bad. pyrodex degrades fast .
    - I'm a bit curious: To what degree does it degrade? Is it just a smaller bang? I'd imagine that if you can notice the difference, it would be somewhat significant. How long does it take for Pyrodex to degrade assuming it's stored well?

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I know guys that have had good luck with Pyrodex but, not me. It used to hangfire some and I went to Goex Black ffg with no problems. I wish anybody that uses it, good luck.
    Very likely you already know this, I read somewhere not long ago that it helps to use magnum caps with Pyrodex, as the ignition temperature is significantly higher. What kind of caps were you using when said hangfires occured?
    I believe you...but my Tommy gun don't.