Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Navy arms wing musket caps

Navy arms wing musket caps

Recently bought a 58 cal Remington Zouave lots of extras.1000 Navy arms winged caps in paper pack . (have more tins from Germany250 caps each) . should I hold onto these & buy regular caps cannot find much info .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3260.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	80522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3263.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	80523

Boolit Master
    Yeow, that's a nice extra! I'd be tempted to try a few and see how they fire. If they act right, I'd keep them and use them. While not as market scarce as some of the center fire primers have been, I've still seen spotty availability of good musket caps the last 6-8 months- not to mention the steady increase in price.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Those are great caps for the CW minie' guns. I believe RWS made them for NA. Absolutely reliable and made to high standards. I used them for many, many years, and no others for my rifles.

NOT A REENACTOR!

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    RWS are the best when it comes to musket caps. Shoot em. Don't save em. You can buy more from Track of the Wolf when you need too. A 58 you say. Wow!! you'll have to buy two box's of lead at a time to feed it. Lucky you. lol

Boolit Master
    I got 2 sleeves of them when we at the warehouse in W.V years ago. paid $20 a sleeve. should have bought more. they are rws and very good caps. I even use rws for my other cap locks even pistols.

Boolit Master
    Didn't know Track had caps. I know some of the suppliers who have musket caps only have the low poop re-enactor types. Plus, whether the hazmat fee is built into the price or not, it does get paid for.

No matter, those musket caps are a real bonus to the deal on the musket. Hope it shoots well. BTW is that an original Rem Zouave or repro? If original with a good bore- they are nice!!

Boolit Master
    Track of the wolf sells musket caps??????I did not know that.

Fly

OverMax I get 15 mini bullets per pound I casted about 200 to get started had to add tin (to many rejects) . I get a lot of waterline lead from construction .This is My 1st 58 it is an Hy Hunter built in 1963 . I am the 2nd owner and it is Mint Condition. The guy who bought it new was an Reenactor and kept a show piece got all His molds , Reciepes for the bullets and yards that was a big plus

Boolit Master
    Sounds good. The bore should be near perfect then! Ought to shoot well. I know the locks on some of those need a little work depending on the manufacturer. They all work OK and fire but sometimes the sear nose ticks or glances off the top of the half cock notch (since the design doesn't incorporate a fly)- especially noticeable when really squeezing slowly when trying to hold steady for best accuracy.

Boolit Master
    For those not knowing. I buy my caps and other needs there in person. I assume on-line customer's could place their order for em as well. The last non current catalog I got from them list a full complement of: CCI, Remington, RWS 4-6 flange availability.

KyBill
    Sounds like you got one he11ava deal from the previous owner. Powder recipes, caps, and all you say. NICE!!

Boolit Master
    I have used these caps on my 50 cal. Traditions Lightning Fire (1:32 Twist) muzzle loader. The only issues I have are the same for the RWS caps I have used. I have to squeeze the wings to make sure I have a tight fit on the nipple, make sure I have them pressed on firmly and the metal tins hard to open at times. If I don't ensure a tight fit I get occasionly misfires or lose the cap. I use this rifle for hunting and it is dead on accurate with Barnes Red Hots with sabots. I plan on using my Lyman 250 Devastators this year in the same.

Boolit Master
    boyscout do you have a nipple for the musket caps in your rifle? I have known of others who have tried to use musket caps on the nipple for number 11 caps and they have the exact same problem you are.

Boolit Master
    kybill get a nipple like the nssa shooters use. it is like a hotshot. a lot of the repros have too large of a hole in them. if the hammer is being blown back to half or full cock is a good indication also.

bob208 havent had the hammer blow back my max load so far 60gr.but the blow back spreads the top hats out considerably. I will check into changing the nipple wouldnt hurt any to update it .