WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A 45 acp bullet?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Some things to look at:

The first is a plain base 452490 at 230 gr. as cast.
    The second is a comparison of the boolits suitable for the 45 AR revolvers lined up at the crimp groove location as they would be loaded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 452490 PB.JPG   45 AR Comp.JPG  

Boolit Master
    I added another bullet to 45 2.1's lineup, a BD45 nose on his proposed 452490 PB body. It may have to be adjusted slightly for weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45 AR Additional.JPG  

I'm A Honcho!
    I like the 452490 body with the BD nose on it....what do you guys think? What would happen if the nose were a bit longer to make it weigh 250 grains or so?

Lloyd, which do you think would be best for long range rock busting?

Boolit Buddy
    2 dogs:

Try this link: http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/may96circle.html and read over the section on Babe Magnan.

Nutshell: H&G 78 modified to 175 grains. I wish I had a picture of his moulds.

I'm A Honcho!
    I shot the H&G bullets for years...then we cut the bevel base off and shot them some more. They were excellent accurate bullets....What I am wanting to do, is take the 45 auto rim case, specifically for use in the stout Smith 625 revolver and gain some powder space by putting most of the bullet weight out of the case. Im not looking for a target load, more like a killing bullet or a long range bullet.....something like a Long Flat Nost style....

Boolit Master
    What would happen if the nose were a bit longer to make it weigh 250 grains or so?
    It wouldn't have much chance at working in a 1911 anymore.

David

I'm A Honcho!
    Exactly! There are scads of 45 auto bullets....how about something specifically for the 45 auto rim case?

You guys are trying to reinvent something that was perfected before most of you were born. Thompsons 230 gr. 452490 was designed for the purpose you've stated. I've used it for years for hunting in 45 ACP and Colt revolvers plus it feeds in the 1911 and every other semi-auto i've tried it in. Anything over 230 gr. is a tradeoff in range and power.

Boolit Master
    Just for you 2 dogs:

250 grain, .375" crimp-meplat and .330" meplat diameter:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45AR250.JPG  

I'm A Honcho!
    That is beautiful!!! Now tell me....would that be more of a WFN or a LFN style? What do you guys think of that? I would buy that bullet!.

I just saw the design for the 44 slim.How about this style in 45?
    Probably be about 190 to 200 grain. Nice and light for speed shooting.
    Would probably speed load via moonclips and that big lube groove might suit my Rogers and Spencer.

Boolit Buddy
    2 Dogs: I've had great success in an older model 1955 and a more recent 625, using Veral Smith's 300gr LFN; this is one of his standard designs I ordered years ago for the Winchester 94 Trapper in .45 Colt. It probably would not be good for the ACP ( haven't tried it) but its great in the Auto Rim, over medium rate powders for about 900 fps. Lloyd is right about this - Veral has been promoting designs to get the lead out of large cases, thereby reducing pressures and increasing capacity, for many years.
    Cast of wheelweight at a BHN of 14, it is extremely accurate, and not punishing with recoil; and its penetration and "rock busting " capability are very satisfying. Verals LBT molds are expensive, but definitely worth the expense.

I have attempted to attach a photo of the LBT 300 45 LFN, showing the single lube groove, and the crimp groove, as well as the AR loaded with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 300 LBT.JPG  

I'm A Honcho!
    denul, that the mold Im looking for, what about it fellas? How about doing a group buy on that one!

denul, thank you very much!

A previous thread:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=Ohaus

Another thread with excellent pics of the long nosed .45 AR boolit. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=Ohaus

This looks the just the ticket for maximizing the S&W 625. Trouble is, I have never seen one of those molds for sale. Maybe a group buy if there are enough .45 Auto Rim owners?

Boolit Master

Mag44UK: It's called the 45Slim. Already at LEE as we speak. But it is only 155 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    denul, that the mold Im looking for, what about it fellas? How about doing a group buy on that one!

denul, thank you very much!
    2 dogs,
    While I acknowledge the LBT LFN and WLN both have great reputations, 300 grains is more boolit than I want in an Auto Rim case. What do you think about that 255 grain long nose Ohaus design?

I'm A Honcho!
    Hardcast, this is just getting better all the time! I would go for that one in a heartbeat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    Hardcast, this is just getting better all the time! I would go for that one in a heartbeat!!!
    Well 2 dogs, in reading another thread from last year, it appears that 45 2.1 already has a drawing for the Ohaus boolit from a sample. Also, in searching threads about this boolit, I saw at least 2 or 3 posts saying they would be "in" on a group buy. There are a couple concerns: First, the 625 does not have a reputation of being one of S&W's more accurate revolvers. Second, there are huge variations in throat diameters on the S&W .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim revolvers. The first one I ever shot, a model 25, had throats that measured .457". My 625 measures .4515-.4520. Thats a huge difference. That said, in an appropriate diameter, I would go for one in a group buy.
    Last edited by Hardcast; 11-07-2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm A Honcho!
    I have a couple of 45 single actions with spare 45 acp cylinders cut to accept the AR round with correct throats...I also have a Smith 625 that will accept bullets the SA's wont, so you are correct the 625 can have large throats....

I drew the ohaus boolit some time ago, but it's stored on my work computer which I won't see until the 13th. 2 dogs, out of curiosity, why do you want such a heavy boolit for such little powder space?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast