Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A 45 acp bullet?

I'm A Honcho!
    Cuz they fly better at long range....If you can set the bullet out of the case more then you have more case capacity at the same pressure.....The less bullet jump the better....as I said, looking to maximize the AR case.....

Boolit Master

Wow, this thread has been all over the place, finally winding up on the 45 A. R. cartridge!!

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in a 45 A.C.P. bullet??? I'd like to run a 230gr RN that copies the nose profile of the government 230gr ball round, similar to the Lyman 452374, but with a better base, more weight (230 instead of 225) and better lube groove. What do y'all think?

Boolit Buddy
    2 dogs:

Your previous post sums up my experience precisely.The Ohaus bullet looks interesting, and I would be in for one, if for no other reason than to compare it, at about 280 Grains with the 300 grain Lbt design posted earlier. I believe that the LBT would have a greater bearing surface, while placing as much, or even more, of the lead outside the case enough to accomplish the goals you mentioned. I don't really feel that this thread has gone too far astray; it mostly seems to concentrate on trying to obtain bullets that are more specific to the 45 auto Rim and revolvers. Ohaus may have been onto something, but because so much of the bullet is not in contact with the bore, careful alignment during seating would probably be important to prevent axial tilt.

I'm A Honcho!
    Agreed, the 45 AR case could be maximized by putting considerable bullet out of the case whereupon you could switch to a much slower burning powder than the Unique type and give the pressure of the slower burning powder something to push against......That is why Elmer Keith could never get a load with 2400 to work with the 45 AR.....

I visitied with Dave about this issue, and would be happy as well with the OHAUS design, but cant help feeling that a heavier Wide Long Nose style bullet could reach 1000 fps or more at the same pressure and be easily contained by my Smith and Ruger revolvers....

for me if i am going to bet my life on it i go with speers 200 flying ash tray it is a big hp
    fro cast i use lymans 452460 a 200 gr swcthat shoots good groups and i would trust in case
    of troublealso the same could be said for lymans 452374 for my defence relibberty is the
    most important then accuratey iif itdont work each and everyt6ime you wont have faith in it

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    Agreed, the 45 AR case could be maximized by putting considerable bullet out of the case whereupon you could switch to a much slower burning powder than the Unique type and give the pressure of the slower burning powder something to push against......That is why Elmer Keith could never get a load with 2400 to work with the 45 AR.....

I visitied with Dave about this issue, and would be happy as well with the OHAUS design, but cant help feeling that a heavier Wide Long Nose style bullet could reach 1000 fps or more at the same pressure and be easily contained by my Smith and Ruger revolvers....
    This still a go? You want the ohaus boolit as your final design?

I'm A Honcho!
    You bet! We can always revist the other designs! Thanks.

The original sample Ohaus boolit weighed 270 gr. and I don't have the mold. The picture shows a modified 255 gr., a modified 270 gr. and the original Ohaus boolit at 270 gr. All the seating depth (0.270") in the case and the total body bearing length are the same on all three. The nose of the 255 gr. is shortened to make weight. The meplats are all the same. You have to decide which weight you want of the two modified versions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ohaus Comp.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    The original sample Ohaus boolit weighed 270 gr. and I don't have the mold. The picture shows a modified 255 gr., a modified 270 gr. and the original Ohaus boolit at 270 gr. All the seating depth (0.270") in the case and the total body bearing length are the same on all three. The nose of the 255 gr. is shortened to make weight. The meplats are all the same. You have to decide which weight you want of the two modified versions.
    45 2.1,

Looking at the drawings, the 255 gr version does not look much different than a Lyman 452424. Can you make a comparison between them? Thanks
    Last edited by Hardcast; 11-13-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    45 2.1, Looking at the drawings, the 255 gr version does not look much different than a Lyman 452424. Can you make a comparison between them? Thanks
    Here ya go.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OhausMod-GB Comp.JPG  

45 2.1 , Thanks, side by side I can see the difference.

If you still have the Ohaus sample boolit, or you have the measurement on your drawing, how long is the nose to crimp?
    Last edited by Hardcast; 11-13-2007 at 12:41 PM.

If you still have the Ohaus sample boolit, or you have the measurement on your drawing, how long is the nose to crimp?
    On either of the 270 gr. boolits, meplat to crimp groove is 0.468".

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    On either of the 270 gr. boolits, meplat to crimp groove is 0.468".
    Even though in the pics it looks like a very long nose, .468" isn't that long. LBT makes some molds with .500" noses. IIRC, there is room for a .750" nose in my S&W 625, so there is plenty of room for this "long nosed" boolit. I'm waiting for a reply from GLL to see how they shoot for him.

I'm waiting for a reply from GLL to see how they shoot for him.
    Ken Waters of "Pet Load" fame used this boolit in the 455 Eley/Colt/Webley write-up with very accurate 650 to 750 fps results.

I'm A Honcho!
    It would seem we would have better luck getting the guys to buy the 255 grain version so lets go with that one! Thanks again. You guys are great!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123