Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A 45 acp bullet?

I'm A Honcho!

A 45 acp bullet?

I am very encouraged that the GB molds are much improved over the past....I was wondering what you guys thought of doing a 45 bullet for the acp/AR case specifically for the Smith and Wesson 625......say something that had a crimp groove but that still put most of the bullet out of the case....

Thoughts? If not how about a 230 grain TC style bullet?

Boolit Buddy
    Lee makes a good 230 grain TC bullet.....

Buy the RCBS 45-230CM and don't look back. This is the best production design available.
    Tony

Banned

Heres my take on it pal. Ive never had the greatest luck with tn bullets in the acp. Some do but like you know i bench all of my guns and small groups and the tn bullets have never gone hand and hand for me. tonys recomendation is slightly better. Ive got the group buy alteratioin of the rcbs bullet and it shoots slightly better the the tn out of the acps and quite a bit better in the auto rim at least in my guns and i believe the rcbs version has a crimp grove. Now the best bullet ive found for double duty is verals round flat (lfn) I believe it can be had as heavy as 230 grain. the one i found for Al is a 210 i believe. it looks like little lfn and does have a long nose. So long in fact that the only grease grove is the grove about the seated gas check. This bullet has shot well for me. I dont know if you want to dink with gas checks or not though and dont know if he makes it as a plain base but id about bet he does. Alot of guy shoot the 452424 in both but ive just never got the reliablility in feeding in the 1911s that id want out of it or any of the 45 colt bullets ive tried. Its to bad because most smiths shoot it real well in auto rim brass. There lies the other problem most 625s do there best work with about a 250 grain bullet cast pretty hard but for what i use a 625 for i like light recoil. If i was going to design a bullet for hunting dutys in a auto rim id look closely at verals lfns and maybe have him cut one as a plain base at about 230 with a crimp grove. I gave a bunch of the 210s to a buddy down state and hes taken deer with them in his 1911s and said it worked real well and is the most accurate bullet hes found in his guns.

I'm A Honcho!
    Lloyd, having had a bunch of accurized 45 autos in the past, both the Hornady jacked TC bullet and cast TC bullets shot fine for me...not the equal of the 200 grain H&G but still quite well.

What I am looking for here is not a bullet that will work in a 45 auto but a bullet specifically for the 625 smith that allows a little more room in the case.....

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    Lloyd, having had a bunch of accurized 45 autos in the past, both the Hornady jacked TC bullet and cast TC bullets shot fine for me...not the equal of the 200 grain H&G but still quite well.

What I am looking for here is not a bullet that will work in a 45 auto but a bullet specifically for the 625 smith that allows a little more room in the case.....

Any other suggestions?
    i look up some up elmer keiths used lymans 452423 its a 238 gr s.wc he had loads of 4.5 gr bullseye alsoused 454424 sized 452 both boolits also with
    unique
    ray thompson desighed a 452490 for the 45auto rim but it is a gc
    a anouther one you might look at is the lyman 452460 it is a 200 gr s.w.c
    of course you know just the one you want will be unavable it always happens to me oh i almost forgot the 454303 lyman
    avery long time ago i had the 452490 for my auto rim i had very good luck with
    it i forgot the load

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    The Thompson designed 452490 230 gr. version was designed for the 45 Auto Rim and is an excellent boolit. It is also a very good boolit for the 1911's. A plain base version could be done easily.

In the days of yore, I shot many Bulleye match with the 1911 pistol in 45 ACP. like others I found the 200 to 210 grains SWCs to give the very finest accuracy.

That said, I have also had good luck and accuracy with the TC bullets of about 230 grains. I had an NEI mold that shot as well as I could hold.. I have not tried the Lee version but it looks just like my NEI version.

I would take Maj. Anthony's counsel on the RCBS mold with great seriousness. Some years back (about 7 or 8) he send me some of these bullets and they did very well for me in my 1911 pistols. A little while back he honchoed a couple of group buys on this design and they have also done well for me.

I have also shot many thousand of Elmer Keiths old 45 AR bullet (452423) in the 1911 auto pistol. A charge of 4.5 to 5 grains of Bullseye does the trick. From WW metal these run about 240 grains. Moving out at over 800 fps, they smack things with great authority.

We did a group buy on these molds and I think there is another running right now.

I tend to favor the RCBS and the 452423 because of the large meplat. They may not be the best target bullets but they do deliver a hard blow to non-paper targets which is why we keep the 1911 pistols around the house.

If you want to persue the TC bullet I see no reason why you should not do so. In my simple mind they are a compromise. The SWCs give better accuracy and the RCBS/Keith bullets give better stomp.

Banned

that lbt would still be the ticket. its got a long nose and not much in the case and could be seated out about as far as a guy would want if he used a taper crimp die. Id say to borrow Als but that version may be a little lighther then you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post

Any other suggestions?

I would be interested in a design for use with moonclips. Semi wads hang up when speed loading.The best bullet in my Taurus revolver is a 260 gn number which is very accurate.Trouble is the recoil is a mite high,I only do target shooting/practical shooting.
    If I could find something with the accuracy of semi wads and low recoil but also be speed loading friendly I would be interested.
    Tony

Mag44uk - Once again the RCBS 45 - 230 CM, Crimp grove and all. I load a healthy dose of Unique for almost 1100 out of my 625 5inch. Have to crimp them or the jump.

Excelent accuracy all the way out to 100 yards.

FWIW

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Buddy
    2 dogs & mag44uk
    Given any thought to Lee's TL-230-TC? Any of the micro-lube grooves would serve as a crimp groove ....one of the Biggies (I think that it's RCBS, but due to my CRAFT Disease, wouldn't swear to it) makes a roll crimp die for .45 ACP, and the truncated cone design works as well or better than a round nose when used in a speed loader or moon clips.

Boolit Master

It sounds as though 45 2.1 would be willing to work with you, and there are some interesting suggestions here. My suggestion would be to design the boolit you want, run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

I'm A Honcho!
    I love it when he kicks in a boolit design....Have at it, I would like to see a boolit specifically designed for the 625 revolver with a bit more boiler room in the case...

Boolit Master
    This is starting to sound like the original BD 45acp again. Maybe with a crimp groove added. 230 grain RNFP, no SWC "edge" to catch when speedloading, only .30 in the case. There's a picture of it around here somewhere. It's the most accurate .45 bullet I've found out to 100 yards, although I don't know how it would fly if you started launching them supersonic.

BD

Boolit Master
    Actually the BD45 with no changes except the addition of a crimp groove would be a highly useful mold. It may require a slight reduction of the base band to maintain the current weight, but the result would be a mold that could be used equally well in revolvers or autos.

David

We did a group buy some time back for the 45 BD with a crimp groove added. I think it was called the BCD. I have one and not it is not for sale.

I'm A Honcho!
    A pic would be nice.....PLEASE dont tease the DAWGS!

I ran the BD45CM buy and have the design drawing but don't know how to paste it. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.
    Tony

Very interesting replies and ideas.I checked the RCBS 45 230 but I think it may snag on the wide meplat for speed moonclip loading.
    I checked out Castpics but the BD45CM mould pic wont display.
    I guess I am interested in a 220/230 TC type bullet maybe with a crimp groove (or two!).
    Something that drops at .454 would be good too.
    Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast