Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Forum Has Gone Cold

Banned

This Forum Has Gone Cold

Approximately two to three posts a day. New threads rare. Sad to see this once vibrant place ain't what it used to be. There is one person in particular that seemed to kill this forum with an angry screed and now Ajay visits every so often and even Ed has been scarce. Bums me out. Still some great members, but we had a good thing and it ain't the same.

Boolit Master

Do you mean this whole forum or just the shotgun area?, I'm still pretty new bit this is the only forum I go to now, never been to a more friendly educational site. As fer the angry guy, maybe call him out on it maybe he don't know he's being a jerk. There is one or two in every crowd try not to let it ruin it for you as I always enjoy your posts and comments and your tag line.

Boolit Mold
    Times change and people move on.

Banned

"Do you mean this whole forum or just the shotgun area?"

"Times change and people move on"

Not the whole forum, just the Casting For Shotguns forum. Yes, people do move on. But just a few months ago, this was the best site for casting and reloading for shotguns on the entire World Wide Web. Nothing even came close. Just making an observation. Like I said, bums me out.

Boolit Master

For me at least
    Hunting season opens up Sunday

So I have more than a few things to get ready

That reminds me
    I want to load a few hundred more shells for ducks

Back to work I guess

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

In Remembrance

Im thinking that truly great ideas, actual innovation, and other things that are interesting to others only come along every so often. Hubels FH thread for dxample, was innovative and exciting, and at least some of the info was useable by anyone w a store bought shotgun. Ajay, same thing w more useable by the majority of shooters, and in the process provided info on ball/wad fit etc that we can use for our own purposes.
    Great ideas are few and far between. The next one will come. Sure there is a momentum requirement that means there have to be enough people browsing the forum to have enough see the next cool thread when it is posted. So in that sense, we owe it to ourselves to keep experimenting and posting results in the hope that one idea is a winner.
    Although currently kinda boring, im hoping to post something in the near future re:
    - more 12ga "inspired" loads and their performance on live game
    - use of hexagonal boron nitride in shotgun sluggery
    - tungsten multi-ball buckshot in the 410 bore

Stuff like that.

Its just that life gets in the way of my range time.

What all is anyone else working on? Even if just in the planning phases

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

It's just the eb and flow of things just because it's not real active today doesn't mean some one will not come up with a hot topic next week.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Banned

I guess I need to be a glass half-full guy. Things are cyclical so here's looking forward to some new innovation. Got a .680 round ball mold coming. I hoping it casts no more than .680. Have been very interested in the lube forum, lot of innovation there. Especially interested in the VHT method.

Boolit Master

Way more than half full! Largely from a lot of great info here I have what for me is a perfect big lead load. 7/8 lee slug (from Koehlerrk on this site) that will shoot as good as I can hold at 100 yds! Traveling at about 1600 fps I can't improve on it! Lots of trial and error and frustration but man is it worth it! Got a 20 ga RB I just don't see how I can improve on. (All smoothbore) Many of you helped with this satisfying outcome, some of you from posts going back years that I read through. So, yeah, I'm not as hungry for info and tests results as I was a while back. Hellacious buckshot loads?? Got that too. Still don't have 2 ball 12 ga. down yet but just gotta let that rest
    until new inspiration comes along. So many to thank and I read every post in this forum daily. Kinda in to sharpening broadheads though and I hope to post pictures soon as to why I'm called Hogtamer!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I bet it picks up in the winter again.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Been a bit busy lately, but I need to take some pics of buckshot targets that I shot using standard commercial loadings and my home cast half buck (.311")at 25 yards.

I think I'd like to try the 7/8 ounce Lee slugs, but I haven't gotten that mold. Would like to do a side by side comparison post with the 1 ounce that I do have.

Would like to build a shotmaker a la Crashguy, and post about it.

Am looking forward to reading about jmortimer's .680 round ball results, and hope he posts it to the thread Littlejack started.

I still haven't gotten the f buck mold from Skiesunlimited, that I have posted about wanting several times. I haven't gotten it because I didn't order it- I don't want to give the impression that someone is slow on delivery!

Will try to do my part to keep this forum from going "cold," but recently went from being about 30% employed to being 125% employed. If I get a chance to put holes in the deer I've been feeding out of the garden all summer, I'll be doing well. Maybe I'll try to take one with buck, ball, or slug, and that will be a post with pictures.

I really haven't taken the time to shoot the smoothbore lately, and all my empty hulls are full of something. Sorry I haven't had much to contribute recently.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Approximately two to three posts a day. New threads rare. Sad to see this once vibrant place ain't what it used to be. There is one person in particular that seemed to kill this forum with an angry screed and now Ajay visits every so often and even Ed has been scarce. Bums me out. Still some great members, but we had a good thing and it ain't the same.
    welp that's what happens wen members get nasty with other members
    Ive been loading 40+ years and have lots of info to share
    was accused of posting bad info,so I deleted everything [due to health I don't need the bull ****]
    if ya want conformation on my expertise ask Redneckdan, he is my oldest son

Doc.

On Heaven's Range

Giving in to the trolls just gratifies and encourages them.

On occasion, I've had posts of mine (and the info therein) attacked by assorted "people".

My answer: " Use the info or don't use the info. Just don't come whining to me because it's not in the sainted handbooks (or whatever)."

I've lain down for a few of these cretins, some years back. I learned that by lying down and letting them get away with their BS, one just gets run over. NO MAS!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Report trolls. We do keep an eye on them. As soon as we have a legitimate violation, we whack them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I have read some post here and learned some new things. Just been getting ready for dove hunting loading 12ga and 20ga and some LEE 1oz slugs for deer hunting. I like this part of the sight I love shooting my shotguns, so I look on here a lot to see if there is anything new to try loading myself.
    Happy Loading and Safe Shooting

I came on here about a month and a half ago. I figured out round ball loads (I think) and still have to load some buckshot.

I already load shot loads and have several machines to do it, So I can and will help. I do 12 ga. and .410's mostly but I understand how to make shotshells right.

But "Casting for Shotguns" really is kind of limited subject restricted to slugs, balls, and buckshot.

The thing about shotshell loading is that generally you are not looking to wring out the last iota of accuracy or velocity, once you get something that works for the intended purpose, you're pretty much done and it's time to move on. It's not like brass cartridge loading where there are a zillion variables that make noticeable differences in the results.

I have yet to test my roundballs and when I do I will report.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

J-timer, don't get bummed out. I visit the site most every day looking for some new trick or to give some of my experience to a newbie!! Anything we can do to help the other shooter along the path to enjoyment is something that will benefit all of us in the end. So hang in here or you may just miss out on the next post that will make it all worth while!!
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, life gets in the way more often than not it seems. I have been planning to get out shooting my new attached wad slugs and round balls but between vehicle failures and plumbing problems I haven't had time.

Well, not entirely true... I did make time to cast and shoot boolits from the new Mihec mould I got for my .303's. Too many choices, too little time.

It has kind of died down here a bit but I hope to add some in a week or two and I am sure others will too. Summer holidays are about done, hunting season is coming up and cool weather will be coming for most of us shortly so more time for casting and loading.

I an still working on consistent 100 yard accuracy but am not there yet. I am thinking that I should try that Lee 7/8 oz. slug as several people seem to be having good success with it.

Whatever I try, I will post results when I have them. I am just slow.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Everything is "relative to someone" !

And not everything pretains to everyone .

However if one keeps their eyes and MINDS open they may be surprised what they might find and where they may find it !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    My trials and tribulations with variouse sizes of buckshot in my old 10 and 16 gauge doubles is an ongoing thing . No I don't really have any intention of casting for them . But I did look into molds for it the other day and came to the decision the amount of money spent on molds versus pre made buck makes it unjustifiable to me .

I might however invest in a roundball mold for a 10 gauge LC Smith I picked up a month or so ago . Same can be said for my little Parker 16 gauge GH !

You know on the one hand I can get by with 8 pounders of each size buck from BPI for a good long while but then again Lee makes what appear to very good 000 and 00 molds . And that other fellow makes what appear to be decent molds in 0 , 1 and 3 . Those are the 5 sizes I like to mess with so with the 5 molds I'd be in about $220 . 8 pounds of all 5 sizes from BPI would be about $175 it's kinda a wash as long as you don't take into consideration your time used to cast all those little round balls !
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 08-30-2013 at 03:33 AM.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast