MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Herter's nostalgia

I still have our old Herter's # 3 along with some Herter and Texan Odds and Ends. I bought a RCBS or CH (don't remember) universal primer set up but the old press is just that - an old press. Then I went to Lee equipment which, like Herter's, was/is marketed with extra superlatives. Finally about 15 to 18 years ago I went to Dillon 450/550's and don't think I will go back. Still that old Herter's is on the shelf.
    regards,

Boolit Master
    George Herter is solely responsible for my ability to cram in "all nighters" for exams in college and my ultimate graduation from college. His Kenyan coffee kept me wired and going strong for those cram sessions. In the sum of things, all the stuff I got from Herters were good values and gave good service , only a few things were not great. We used to buy cases of his ammo when on sale and it was really good stuff and cheap even taking shipping into account. I regret ever selling my Herters U9 rifle in 7mm Rem Magnum (actually a BSA Monarch rifle) which was incredibly accurate to the point of mind boggling. I traded it on a 300 Win Mag Sako which is an awesome rifle but I should have just bought the Sako outright and kept the U9 .

Everything in Herters catalog was "Model Perfect" and it was touted as the finest and best on the planet. Sad Herters is gone, they were unique to say the least

In Remembrance
    Just thinking that it is sad thay are gone, but at least they went away and left folks a memory of a company that was never forced to sell junk to compete, like many that have taken their place.

Boolit Master
    Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. I remember a gunwriter doing a review of loading equipment in the early '60's, saying "Herter's stuff doesn't always work the way it's supposed to, but it sure is cheap!" He wasn't wrong.

I prize my Herter's World Famous Morning (sic) Dove and White Wing Dove Call ("Time proven for over five generations--For the serious dove hunter--Used by more dove hunters than all other dove calls put together") because it's the perfect dove repellant when they decide to nest in the roof beams of my back patio.

Rather than put up with the feathers and other byproducts, I just wait until a concentration of them starts hanging around, then I gently slide a window open and play a few notes on the call. It is pitched about an octave above any real dove I've ever heard. A few "coos" and the doves all look at each other with the same scandalized expression on their faces and light out simultaneously for a more salubrious environment to raise "the children."

I wouldn't take it dove hunting on a bet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123