Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best hunting knife

Boolit Master
    my first hunting knife and I still have it is the small boy scout sheath knife made by western. it is close to a buck 102 which I also have picked that up at a yard sale. also have the larger boy scout sheath knife by western. it has a more up sweep on the blade like a skinner. I have a knife I use now don't know what it is or who made it . got it in an antique store for a dollar. it is a
    5" bowie. it has a carbon steel blade full tang takes and folds a good edge.

I also have a western with a 5 3/4 " blade and a hand made 7" bowie only thing on it is gonzalz.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    my first hunting knife and I still have it is the small boy scout sheath knife made by western. it is close to a buck 102 which I also have picked that up at a yard sale. also have the larger boy scout sheath knife by western. it has a more up sweep on the blade like a skinner. I have a knife I use now don't know what it is or who made it . got it in an antique store for a dollar. it is a
    5" bowie. it has a carbon steel blade full tang takes and folds a good edge.

I also have a western with a 5 3/4 " blade and a hand made 7" bowie only thing on it is gonzalz.
    I use the same boy scout version as my primary hunting knife and use the up turned version when I am butchering. Great knives and they aren't over priced. Most folks don't know how good they are.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Grand Master

I carry a Cold Steel Voyager for an everyday working knife and will dress and skin a critter with it when the opportunity arises. My other hunting knife spends almost about 350 days a year in a block in my kitchen and is one of my favorite kitchen knives. It's a Green River blade, got it along with the panels and rivets from Track of the Wolf. It's not fancy but it outperforms most store-bought knives.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green River 001.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	81685
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

My best knife is in the kitchen and used to cut up well priced rib-eye roasts, from the local meat store. My carry knives and new 110 are all like new cause I never use them lol. Even my 20 yr old SA from Marlboro is like new, come to think about it.

Boolit Buddy

Havalon to gut and skin.Benchmade presidio the rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I carry a Cold Steel Voyager for an everyday working knife and will dress and skin a critter with it when the opportunity arises. My other hunting knife spends almost about 350 days a year in a block in my kitchen and is one of my favorite kitchen knives. It's a Green River blade, got it along with the panels and rivets from Track of the Wolf. It's not fancy but it outperforms most store-bought knives.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green River 001.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	81685

Thanks for posting. I had a kit knife from the 70s that was like yours. I dropped it in the 80s and think I have an idea where. I still wonder if it ever was found cause, if after a few yrs, a guy might think it was ancient lol.

I can't find a decent carbon steel hunting knife for under $500.00.
    I don't have $500.00 for one either.
    So were going to start making them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 380AUTO View Post
    Hello gents I recently picked up a brand new buck 119 knife. I really like it so far it seems sturdy and very well made. I can't wait to use it this upcoming hunting season. What is everyone else using to skin there big game?
    Knowing this from first hand experience: Make sure with your 119 that you wrap your handle with either hockey tape or skateboard tape. My father and I have the same knife and the grip sucks (blade ok). In fact one time my dad got a deer in the cold of winter of Wisconsin, the mixture of blood and sub zero conditions slipped out and sliced his hand terrible and had to have several stiches. It almost happened to my friend (borrowed mine with no grip) in almost 50 degree weather with blood and slipped out and almost sliced his hand.

As for my hunting knife now I use a Mini Kabar Tanto tip , black rubber handle

Banned

I have always carried and used a Case Trapper for skinning and quartering animals.

Andy

Boolit Grand Master

Like the knives in my kitchen I've been carrying a Cutco hunting knife for a few years now: http://www.cutco.com/products/produc...itemGroup=5718

My EDC is a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. I'm not paying firearm prices for a knife.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    I can't find a decent carbon steel hunting knife for under $500.00.
    I don't have $500.00 for one either.
    So were going to start making them.
    Hi,
    Well...if I wanted a cheap but good hunting/camp knife with good/real steel. KABAR is making the old tried and true Kabar knife with 1095 carbon steel which will hold an edge! They are now made in two sizes.

http://www.officer.com/video/1073989...r-legacy-video
    Last edited by seagiant; 09-28-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Like the knives in my kitchen I've been carrying a Cutco hunting knife for a few years now: http://www.cutco.com/products/produc...itemGroup=5718

My EDC is a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. I'm not paying firearm prices for a knife.
    I have that Cutco. My wife sold them when she was just out of high school. Got a good bit of Cutco in the house here.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Just found this thread figured some would like this one. My Grandpa's, now my Puma. This one has seen some action.

Love Life
    KaBar is a solid knife, but does not really excel in the game processing department.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    KaBar is a solid knife, but does not really excel in the game processing department.
    Hi,
    Hmmm...I think DUKE(Camel meat taste good cooked for 8 seconds at 20,000 degrees F ) NUKEM was talking about a good cheap HUNTING KNIFE, and off the top of my head the Kabar popped up!

Something that bugs me is that alot of commercial knives would actually be pretty good if they only had some type of decent steel making up the blade! 1095 improved fits that bill and will get sharp and hold its edge probably better than most until you go up to say a FORGED blade and you won't buy that for $100!

How you skin a deer is like other things in life, completely personal!
    Last edited by seagiant; 10-05-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Love Life
    Not saying the Ka-Bar won't work, but there are better tools for the job in the price range.

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Benchmade Adamo!
    Made here in Oregon. One of my favorites!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

This is still my favorite setup.....
    Attachment 86391
    This one is the best, and it came in this set....
    Attachment 86393

Cant beat these knives of alaska... For under 250 for the awsome set. Sometimes you can find them on ebay for less.

I did a lot with a swiss army knife
    I have several cold steel, Gerber's and Schrade's
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    my first choise would be my randall or one of my custom knives but there almost to nice to use everyday. My everyday knives are usually bark river or rapid river knives. Used to also use marbles alot but since they went overseas i kind of boycotted them and sold my collection. Bang for the buck a bark river knife is hard to beat.

Most of what follows below I copied from a previous post on the subject. I'm absolutely in agreement with Lloyd. I have a couple Rapid River and Bark Creek knives. Solid no nonsense cutlery for sportsmen. I also have pictures.
    The best hunting knife of the bunch is the little marble drop point. It's never been a catalog item. The sport 99 was a loveless elliptical blade shape.

I won't buy any of the chinese junk marbles knives. Ever.

Rapid River Knifeworks

Back to the original poster:
    I believe you'll find your skinning knife is in fact a Marbles Woodcraft. the ones made in Gladstone at the turn of the century from 52-100 steel are excellent knives. I wouldn't buy their current chinese junk if it was on sale for 10˘ on the dollar.

There are more than a couple posts on here (with pictures I might add) of Gladstone made Marbles, bark river and rapid river knives. I own all three and highly recommend both the Bark and Rapid river knives as exemplary hunting instruments you can pass down to your grandkids.

A rapid river custom

A few of my Marbles and a Rapid River Drop Point

Last edited by fatnhappy; 11-27-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: I spelled Lloyd name wrong. He deserves more respect than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast