Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best hunting knife

Best hunting knife

Hello gents I recently picked up a brand new buck 119 knife. I really like it so far it seems sturdy and very well made. I can't wait to use it this upcoming hunting season. What is everyone else using to skin there big game?

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Benchmade Adamo!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Perma-Banned

I have like many of us a ton of knives. My favorite though is a buck alaskan guide knife. It just feels great in the hand. I grabbed this pic off the web but this is my favorite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buckalaskan.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	80327

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well,my favorite HUNTING knife (my wife won't let me kill any little animals any more!)is my Randall Model #5!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Havalon.

Boolit Master
    I too carry a Randall; a 5 inch skinner with stag horn grip. Made by Randall for my father back during the 2nd WW.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

My buck bucklite has been my go to hunting knife since I was young, but my everyday carry knife is a kershaw junkyard dog.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	80342

Boolit Grand Master
    cold steel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I too carry a Randall; a 5 inch skinner with stag horn grip. Made by Randall for my father back during the 2nd WW.
    What a fine thing to own.

Uncle R.

Beautiful knives men I'm looking at expanding my knife collection so far I only have a handful of buck knifes

Boolit Master
    Guess I better add a pic of a circa 1944 Randall Made Skinner.

Name:	IMG-20130827-00007.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	80371

smokeywolf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20130827-00007.jpg  
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    case X-Changer

Boolit Grand Master

One of the very first Buck folding that hit the market. Blade is much different than later models.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

My grand mother on my fathers side was the second cousin of Bo Randall.

That's how I got my name.

William Randall Buchanan

I made knives too. Here's my first one from 1984.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-27-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Randy,having made a few knives myself and belonging to ABANA and FABA for years I can say with a little authority, thats the best first knife I have ever seen!!! Tapered tang and mitered bolsters! Not easy! I see maybe a Bob Loveless influence???
    Last edited by seagiant; 08-27-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    What a treat this thread is,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I picked the Randall Model 5 as it has the same blade style as the Model 2 fighting knife that has been used in ALL major and minor conflicts since WWII! It has probably killed more people in combat than the Black Plague and has been copied since it's conception!

Living in Central Florida, I have been to Randall's knife shop a few times and have met and talked to Gary Randall the present owner and "Bo" Randall's son. They have a Knife Museum in the shop and one could spend an afternoon seeing all there is to see and you are actually invited to do so, VERY nice people!

Boolit Grand Master

I concur with John Allen on the Buck Alaskan Guide knife. The S30V steel is awesome. Not the craftsmanship of a Randall but in 40 years of hard hunting I have lost two knives. I have a couple of custom knives that I would be heartbroken if I lost or broke. The Buck Alaskan Guide knife with S30V steel outstanding yet easily replaced.

Greg: Bo Randall originally came from Michigan, which is where I came from.

The knife does have a tapered tang as did pretty most all of my knives. That one is made from 154CM at 62 Rc and was kind of hard to sharpen the first time, however that was the only time as it still has the original edge from 1984. Granted it doesn't get used much, but it has been used a lot. For a while I was using it to break edges on the lathe, never phased it.

I like the Havalon knives now and it would be hard to duplicate their very fine edges with a thicker blade.

I carry a Superknife that uses box cutter blades everyday and have for the last 10 years. If it gets dull I just swap the blade. It is the most useful knife I have ever owned. I usually loose them, but this one has stuck pretty well. I bought five more when they were on sale just in case.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Hi Randy,
    Well, it's a small world! I knew the Randall family came from Michigan as I did some research into how Mr. Randall came to FORGE knives. I like to forge and anyone who is good at that interest me. Of course Mr. Randall actually started a new wave of knifemakers after WWII!

The story I heard was that while living in Michigan Mr. Randall saw a man scraping the bottom of a small boat with a nice knife and thought it to good of a knife to be used as such and bought the knife from the boat owner and decided to find the maker of the knife!

That was William Scagel a character that lived alone with his dogs out in the deep woods. He had had a run in with the local power company and told them where to go I guess and used a gas generator to run his grinders! He took on and taught Mr. Randall how to forge and the rest is history I guess! If you look at Scagel's work and a Randall you can see a semblance between the two!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast