Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4227 and the 45 colt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doc1876 View Post
    I just loaded up 17g of IMR4227 in my 44 Sp, with a 254g Keith bullet. I haven't had a chance to pull a trigger, and don't know when it will happen, but from the research, I should be in the 1000 fps range. I am really looking forward to trying it. I have been using W231, and while it has been very accurate, it is some kind of dirty.

Just got back.........254g keith (made by Bullshop) backed by 17g IMR 4227, CCI primer and Starline brass. mighty fine, a little hard on the hand, but less than 4in groups out of my Lipsey's Ruger 44sp 5 1/2 in barrel at 30 yds.
    The load I really liked was 13g. Same results with a lot less recoil.

I also used 13g in my .45 Colt with a 7 1/2 bbl, and some 255g SWC. Just as accurate, and for the first time, I really enjoyed shooting the Colt, as I was able to hit the target
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Buddy
    a while back I picked up 4 lb of new old stock h4227 from a local gunshop according to date on his price tag he had it since 1981, it says made in Scotland on the bottle I paid 15.95 a pound for it .I tried loading some 357 mag rounds using imr4227 data and it worked well .ive also used it for 32h&r and 327 fed mag loads with very good results .I still have 2 lb of the old h4227 left and ive also picked up a few lb of newer imr4227 made in Canada but I wont open it till I use up the old . I wouldn't mind trying it in 45 lc I use 4756 with 200 gr swc bullets in it now but will eventually need to use something else since 4756 is no more . has anyone tried 4227 in 45 lc with a lee 200 gr swc bullet . I will be shooting them from a ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 45 convertible . im just looking for an accurate plinker load

Just Chronied some Lee 255 RF over 19.8g of 4227. Average velocity was 744fps. Ruger BH with 4 5/8 barrel. I was a little disappointed in that I was getting the same velocity over 6g of reddot.

Quote Originally Posted by cold1 View Post
    Just Chronied some Lee 255 RF over 19.8g of 4227. Average velocity was 744fps. Ruger BH with 4 5/8 barrel. I was a little disappointed in that I was getting the same velocity over 6g of reddot.
    Did you use a good, heavy crimp?
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by cold1 View Post
    Something doesn't sound right. I'm using 22 grains over the RCBS 45-270-SAA in a 7 1/2" barrel and getting about 1,150 fps. Like 35 Whelen said, make sure you have a good crimp. I'd verify the chronograph is working ok too. 744 is way below what I'd expect with your setup.

I shoot a 260grn RNFP with 20grn of 4227 out of a Ruger 45 Colt convertible and I believe I am getting between 940fps - 980fps. Sounds like something is off with your load or chrono or something because I would expect way better than 744fps.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Master
    20 gr 4227 and 454424 at 260g, very accurate in a Sauer-Hawes Colt copy and a 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk

I think I have a heavy crimp. I did not use the Lee Factory crimp die, just roll crimped them when I seated them. I will load up somemore with 22g 4227 and see what they chrony at.

I dont think the chrony is the problem. I was shooting the reddot loads first knowing that they were a light load. When I brought out the 4227 loads I was expecting more recoil. They felt the same as the red dot. Thats when I broke out the chrony and found there wasnt 50fps difference in the two loads. The POI of the two loads were almost identical. The groups were big, but I am new to casting and shooting lead so I wasnt too terribly disappointed in the groups. I havent shot pistols in several years so I am sure I did not help the group size either.

Lets say it is the chrony, how do I check it?

There are guys on here with a lot more knowledge than me but to check my chrono I just shoot a known load over it. I have a .308 jacketed load that does pretty much on the nose the same velocity so I usually shoot that over it to be sure. If I didn't have a known load I suppose I would get a buddy to bring his and see if there was a difference between them.

Are you measuring every load on a zeroed scale or are you throwing it from some type of measuring or metering device?

It just seems odd that you are only shooting .2grn less than I am and you are seeing an over 200fps difference.

Boolit Buddy

Cornbread has a good point. In my case I'll throw a charge with a RCBS powder measure at about 21.5 grains, and then bring it up to 22.0 with a trickler. Also after pouring the charge into the case I'll put the empty pan back on the scale to make sure it reads zero. Sometimes your scale will need to be re-zeroed if you're using an electronic scale. Also make sure you don't have a vent or fan blowing air onto the scale as this can lead to incorrect readings too.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 20gr/IMR 4227 with a 45-270 SAA and a WLP primer with great accuracy. I am shooting a 5 1/2" Ruger bisley. I haven't chorno this load but, guessing approx. 1000 fps. You have to use WLP and a firm crimp. Standard primers will not work as well, at least in my revolver.

Boolit Buddy

Forgot to mention but dhom's post reminded me, I use LPM primers (Federal). I've read a lot of people use regular primers but I went off of Brian Pearce's load recommendation where he used LPM for the 45-270-SAA boolit. Don't know if it makes that much of a difference or not.

I use CCI large pistol primers for my loads.

Boolit Mold
    I like it in the 45-70, but never tried it in a revolver. And I DON'T like it in the Colt, primarily because I'm not looking for particularly hot loads, and can get the same accuracy with a lot less of a faster powder. I guess my philosophy is: "At today's powder prices, why would I want to burn 4 times as much?" Sorta defeats the economy of handloading...

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by plesant3 View Post
    I like it in the 45-70, but never tried it in a revolver. And I DON'T like it in the Colt, primarily because I'm not looking for particularly hot loads, and can get the same accuracy with a lot less of a faster powder. I guess my philosophy is: "At today's powder prices, why would I want to burn 4 times as much?" Sorta defeats the economy of handloading...
    Copy that - makes sense for those not wanting warm loads or that want the cost savings. In my case I load for the best accuracy I can get at the velocity for hunting I want first, and savings is a secondary consideration. Not that I have cash to throw away or anything but working with handloads and boolit alloys cast at home I've been able to get substantially better accuracy at higher velocities than any factory loads I've tried so far. I'd continue to cast my own and handload even if factory fodder were substantially less expensive. I really feel sorry for those guys living in California with the lead boolit ban. If I were in their shoes I'd have to put everything in storage since lead is all I've been happy shooting for a good number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by plesant3 View Post
    Sometimes its not about what you want, its about what you have. I returned to reloading about 6 months ago and around here there was no "pistol" powder to be found on shelves. Seems that the retirees new when all the powder shipments came in and would be waiting at the door when they arrived. So i had to look for someting I could use that was on the shelves. A little research and I had a list of powders that I could use in any of my handguns. I went to the local gun show and arrived at about 10 am. The first 6 powders on my list were gone already. Yes that was at the gun show. I came across a table that had 4227, it was on my list so I bought 2 cans.

4227 has turned out to be a very versatile powder. I can load it in 223, 45-70, 38sp, 357, 45c,and 44mag. So 1 powder and 5 different cartridges. Hopefully, the retirees will not catch on and I wont have to worry about it being on the shelves.

I don't like 4227 in my 45-70, it leaves too much space and even when used with a filler it wasn't very accurate for me. 3031 worked way better for me with cast in 45-70 than 4227 did. This was with cast plain base 350gr bullets, your mileage may vary.

If I may resurrect this old thread -

I recently bought a Rossi R92 rifle with 24" barrel in .45 Colt. Looking for various different loads, I'd like to try IMR4227 with the Lee 255gr. LRNFP, powdercoated.

Does anybody have suggestions? My Lee and Lyman books have nothing, can't find anything online either. I'm "thinking" 20-22gr, but unsure what to do in a 24" rifle barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    If I may resurrect this old thread -

I recently bought a Rossi R92 rifle with 24" barrel in .45 Colt. Looking for various different loads, I'd like to try IMR4227 with the Lee 255gr. LRNFP, powdercoated.

Does anybody have suggestions? My Lee and Lyman books have nothing, can't find anything online either. I'm "thinking" 20-22gr, but unsure what to do in a 24" rifle barrel.
    I use 20grn of 4227 with a 255grn RNFP for all my 45 Colt loads. I do however shoot this in a Ruger Blackhawk which can handle Ruger only loads. I don't know if that is a Ruger only load or not but the lever action I shoot it in is a 454 Casull lever action so I don't have to worry about pressure at all in it either. Use 20grn at your own risk as I am not sure what pressure level it is at or if it is OK for your gun. I will tell you though that 20grn of 4227 with a RNFP is by far and away the most accurate 45 Colt load I ever tried so I stuck with it for plinking and hunting.

Interesting, thanks! Looks like a good place to start!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast