RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
PBcastcoInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4227 and the 45 colt

Boolit Master
    I found 20 g 4227 and Lyman 454424 sized .454 very accurate in Hawes single action .45 Colt.

Boolit Grand Master
    its made in Australia the 4227
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    its made in Australia the 4227
    That's good IMO. I believe the IMR powder had more issues with different temps where as the Hodgdon formulated 4227 isn't touchy like the IMR.

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    That's good IMO. I believe the IMR powder had more issues with different temps where as the Hodgdon formulated 4227 isn't touchy like the IMR.
    I have it on reliable information that IMR and Hodgdon (which owns both companies) is the same powder that comes from the same spigot, just put up in different containers.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have it on reliable information that IMR and Hodgdon (which owns both companies) is the same powder that comes from the same spigot, just put up in different containers.
    Yes that is correct..........we were talking about where the powders were made from and if it's made in Australia, which will say on the bottle, then its the H4227 even if it says IMR4227. The thread has already determined this just read the thread; myself and others have already stated this. Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Yep and now the new IMR 4227 comes from Australia i.e. H4227 with an IMR 4227 label.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    New made IMR4227 is H4227 straight from Hodgdon. Email them. They can tell you which data to use. I used H data. But email them to confirm. I did. But I would just so you have for personal reference.ADI from Australia is who makes it for them. I was told they just add a little graphite to it to color it to make it look like the regular IMR powders. When Hodgdon was buying out all the powder makers, they combined a few and got rid of a bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Canada it is IMR, Australia it is Hodgdon.

Getting a little cranky there in Kansas Rob. Don't spend to much time worrying about it for I am in my cranky phase as well.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

That's a mighty big spigot that can from here to Australia or maybe hodgdon just puts Australia on the stickers for all the internet commandos that are cranky

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry I'm coming kind of late the conversation...PS Paul sent me some of this powder to try. It's given me some of my best groups with the 45 Colt. I really like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120196-002.JPG 
Views:	526 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	80875

Boolit Master

I've had good luck with accuracy in my BH but get a lot of powder back in my face when shooting into the wind. So I use H110 or AA#9 for heavy loads.

Boolit Master
    I have gotten some of the most accurate shots out of 4227 . 4227 is not quite the fastest load ( but close ) and is a little dirty , but it suprised me that it was'nt dirter . I have used it in 44s, 45colt, 454 Casull , 45 Winmag .

What are you guys getting fps wise with 255gr cast & 20gr of 4227 in the 45 colt?
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Buddy
    Moh, what is your win mag load, I just loaded some up, will have to check my book, may have been 19 g ??

Boolit Master
    I just loaded up 17g of IMR4227 in my 44 Sp, with a 254g Keith bullet. I haven't had a chance to pull a trigger, and don't know when it will happen, but from the research, I should be in the 1000 fps range. I am really looking forward to trying it. I have been using W231, and while it has been very accurate, it is some kind of dirty.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Buddy
    Only pistol powder I have seen latley is 4227. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Only pistol powder I have seen latley is 4227. Not sure why.
    Same here, which led me to buy a pound. Haven't tried it yet but hope to in 44mag.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Well I just tried 20gr of IMR- 4227 under a 255gr Kieth Semi-wadcutter out of my Ruger convertible 5.5" and all I can say is: WOW! that is a scary accurate load!

Open sites at 25 yards and I have bullet holes touching bullet holes in a 1.5" in diameter bullseye. Not sure what the speed is but I'll take groups like that any day.

Boolit Mold
    IMR 4227 likes heavy boolits.
    Years ago I tried the Hank Williams Jr load of 20gr over a 255 gr cast boolit. Accurate but dirty. Lots of unburned powder or filler. I was done with that powder and thought i would never look back.

I recently bought a 454 and needed some slow powders for heavy boolits. Now, thanks to the current state of things I really didn't have any choice. 4227 was the ONLY thing on the shelves for about a year, so I held my nose and bought it. It is fantastic with heavy boolits! Clean, accurate, and pushes lead almost as fast as H 110. It is now my favorite of the slow powders (followed closely by 2400). It is a great powder with a lot of potential and it is much more forgiving then H 110/296. You just have to match it to the right boolit.

Boolit Master

How much 4227 have you? I have an 8-pound (or maybe 10??) of H110 from which I have shot less than 50 reloads. I loathe the powder - it has fierce muzzle blast and 2-foot muzzle flash. Having typed that, I must admit that it achieves the highest muzzle velocity with superb accuracy of any powder I've used in 45 Colt (300-grain SWC GC), 480 Ruger, and 475 Linebaugh.

I borrowed a small amount of 4227 to shoot. I find it more pleasant although it "maxes out" about 150 fps lower than H110 in 5.5-. 6.5-, and 7.5-inch barrels.

Hope this helps.
    If you have a similar amount of 4227 that isn't what you hoped for, I want to trade. If you have interest, I'll dig out the container in storage to verify its amount.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Quote Originally Posted by jdt81 View Post
    IMR 4227 likes heavy boolits.
    It is fantastic with heavy boolits! Clean, accurate, and pushes lead almost as fast as H 110. It is now my favorite of the slow powders (followed closely by 2400). It is a great powder with a lot of potential and it is much more forgiving then H 110/296. You just have to match it to the right boolit.
    I agree, I love that I can go from 1200fps to 1700+fps with it in my 454 casulls vs H110 where you get load data that looks like: min == 34.4gr & max == 34.9gr etc. with almost no room to move around. If your bullet doesn't work with H110 you have to look at other bullets where as 4227 gives you a lot of leway up and down to play with to dial in your bullet. I use it in 45-70 as well as my revolvers.

Boolit Master
    Since this thread is starting to go a little off topic might as well ask this question.

Has anyone tried 4227 in a 45-70 revolver? Likes or dislikes?
    East Tennessee

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast