Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4227 and the 45 colt

Boolit Grand Master

IMR 4227 and the 45 colt

anyone use this combination?
    I just bought 8# of this ,went after 2400 but they didn't have any matter of fact they was out of everything the shelves were bare
    anyway do you have any loads you would like to share or any information about using this powder with the 45 colt..... new to me never used it before
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I have switched to using IMR4227 in a lot of my pistol rounds and the 45 colt is one of them.Most loading books have data from mild to a little wild.If you are looking for heavy colt ammo then stay with H110.It always seems to leave a little unburnt powder in the barrel as well but I am fine with that.What are you loading it for(firearm)and with what bullet or boolit?Light plinking load or one for hunting?

Banned

I did not like it. It left a lot of unburned powder kernels in the bore. It did clean up as you really poured on the power though. 17-18 gr with a 300 gr was really accurate in the 45 colt.

Boolit Buddy
    20.5g is my go to 4227 charge for 250-283g bullets. very uniform ballistics and great accurracy. burning a touch dirty doesnt bother me because have never seen powder fouling ruin accurract just nnnnnnasty leading or evil copper

Boolit Grand Master
    I am looking to develop an accurate hunting load
    heard a bunch reference it for the 44 mag just not much on the colt
    does it have the same characteristics as h4227 are they interchangeable?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

i used it in my 454 than just went back to H110 but if i had a #8 can i would
    take a little more time and try a few more boolits than i did when i tried it
    last time
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    If you can ignore the leftover powder kernels in the bore after firing, you will find that 4227 produces some of the most accurate loads in .357 and .45 Colt. You don't say what firearm you are using, but in my S&W 25-5 I have used up to 22.0gr with my 265gr SWC HP's. Great deer load.

Don

Banned

New made IMR4227 is H4227 straight from Hodgdon. Email them. They can tell you which data to use. I used H data. But email them to confirm. I did. But I would just so you have for personal reference.

ADI from Australia is who makes it for them. I was told they just add a little graphite to it to color it to make it look like the regular IMR powders. When Hodgdon was buying out all the powder makers, they combined a few and got rid of a bunch.

Boolit Grand Master
    ruger blackhawk bisley model is the gun I will be putting this together for
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

John Taffin wrote he uses a lot of 4227 in his colt single actions. Look on his website..
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Banned

was told may years ago that the residue left with 4227 is filler not unburned powder and ive never seen where it effected anything. Ive heard some preach it gets there gun so dirty that it ties them up but i shoot the snot out of my guns and have never seen it happen.

Boolit Mold
    Copying from Speer #14, .45 Colt .452 LSWC, 250 gr, Speer part 4683, COAL tested 1.600", 17.0 gr rated 775 fps to 19.0 gr rated at 904 fps.

Boolit Master
    First look on the jug and see where it was made........Canada or Australia as there are two IMR 4227's out there.

Banned

Canada it is IMR, Australia it is Hodgdon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Canada it is IMR, Australia it is Hodgdon.
    Yep and now the new IMR 4227 comes from Australia i.e. H4227 with an IMR 4227 label.

Does 4227 smell weird to anyone else. After shooting some it always smells different than my other powders. Shoots good, just smells weird. Maybe cause its single base?

Hounddog

Boolit Grand Master

I use it all the time for my heavy loads in 45 Colt. I use it in a 24" barrel rifle and it burns cleaner there. The heavy load gives over 1800 fps with a 250 grain bullet and id daedly on deer size game to 100 yards or more.

Boolit Master
    A very common load for the Ruger 45's is 20 grs of 4227 & a 250-255 gr lead slug, many of the early silhouette shooters liked that load.

Dick

Some years back, Mike V, the sage of Montana wrote of a load passed on to him by Hank Williams Jr. that was accurate, produced good velocity, but moderate pressure in the 45 Colt cartridge. It was 20/4227 over just about any 240 to 280 grain cast bullet.

I tried the load and found it to do everything said about it. I have used this charge with 452423 (244 grains), 454424 (260 grains) and RCBS 270 SSA (280 grains). I have loaded several thousand and have been very pleased with the results. It is an excellent top end load, for DA sixguns, Colt SSAs and Ruger Flattop and New Vaquero frame pistols.

I don't shoot many top end loads anymore, but if I did, this is the one I would use. The unburned powder bothers me not in the least.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

I found accuracy in the .44 but heat problems. Worked super in other calibers. I never tried it in the .45 Colt so I have no answer. It is a good powder for many calibers, I just stay away in the .44.
    Keep the .44 cool and it shot super groups. Can't keep a revolver cool shooting IHMSA!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast