Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the Forster Hollow Pointer?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone use the Forster Hollow Pointer?

Wondering if anyone uses the Forster hollow pointing tool? Does it work well? Is it a PITA to use? Are the HP holes centered in the boolits?

Boolit Buddy

Yes, Yes, YES and Yes.

wouldnt mess with it unless you are snowed in and bored cross-eyed.

Boolit Buddy
    So not worth buy / using in your opinion?

I have one but seldom use it. It works as claimed but I am of the opinion that my bullets don't need to be hollow pointed.

Boolit Master
    Biggest problem with it is it is SLOW. If you need/want a couple dozen hollow points for what ever reason it is not too bad. If you want 100-500 hollow points you better be snowed in real bad and desperiate for something to do.

I've had one for probably 30 years and maybe used it for 10 bullets. It works, but it's slow, and best used with a drill press. There's a knack to using it to get the hole exactly centered, but it's more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. I'd rather cast or swage my hollowpoint bullets, or buy them......

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    I've often wondered whether it would be possible develop a device that I could use a reloading, arbor, or drill press that would create a type of hollow point by driving a point into the bullet instead of drilling out lead. You might even be able to use a sharpened tip from a small phillips head or torx head screwdriver for the point to give a more star shaped mushroom effect.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Master
    I use it, it works great, it is no pain to use as long as you don't try to drill the hollow in one time, in other words clean the drill threads out as you drill and mine always are centered.
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a hole centered in an object, you rotate the object and keep the cutter stationary (like you see with a lathe). That way, even if you are off center, the hole will be in the center, albeit maybe slightly larger in diameter.
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

As mentioned, it is slow and tedious. It does work well for making a few hoolowpoints for testing or play. It is not going to be pleasant hollowpointing a few hundred bullets. One thing it is great for is testing to see if you want to take an existing solid mold and have it made into a hollowpoint mold. You can experiment with the hollowpointing and decide if it is worth your money to have a solid mold converted to hollowpoint without having to take a chance that the design will/won't work well as a hollowpoint.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    (Elmer Keith is rolling his eyes at yous guys)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I'm glad I saw this. I was considering buying one. Now, I won't bother.

Boolit Master
    Dear Lord Hamish, would old Elmer have any control of his eyes after the last two elections?! lol About the forster, it is purely for making hunting boolits or research and development as suggested. No high production but I like mine.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Biggest problem with it is it is SLOW. If you need/want a couple dozen hollow points for what ever reason it is not too bad. If you want 100-500 hollow points you better be snowed in real bad and desperiate for something to do.
    Ditto.

I have used it and it works very well.
    I am not sure the hollow pointing adds much to your terminal results.
    I do not use it any more.

I prefer to use bullets that are already expanded. e.g. .44 or .45 caliber.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Leave Elmer out of this, he doesn't need to be concerned about this. The last elections, maybe....you Yanks will have to do something about it yourselves, instead of sitting around pointing fingers!

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using the Forster HP tool for many years. I have HP'd thousands of cast bulets with it. I find it easy to use and it can be used quickly. I use both the 1/16th and 1/8th HP tools. I also use an electric screwdriver to power mine. It is simple and easy to HP cast bullets with the Forster tool. Best feature is any cast bullet may be HP'd, a HP mould is not needed.

HP cast bullets are very effective on game and are proven quicker killers than other forms of cast bullets. However to be successful the right alloy must be used to match the velocity. For a proper expanding HP for game the HP shouldn't be more than 3/16" deep I in a proper alloyed cast bullet. GC'd bullet is also best to use as softer malleable alloys can be used at higher velocity with accuracy for better terminal effect. The HP can be deeper for rapid expansion in varmints.

I highly recommend the Forster HP tool.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using the Forster HP tool for many years. I have HP'd thousands of cast bulets with it. I find it easy to use and it can be used quickly. I use both the 1/16th and 1/8th HP tools. I also use an electric screwdriver to power mine. It is simple and easy to HP cast bullets with the Forster tool. Best feature is any cast bullet may be HP'd, a HP mould is not needed.

HP cast bullets are very effective on game and are proven quicker killers than other forms of cast bullets. However to be successful the right alloy must be used to match the velocity. For a proper expanding HP for game the HP shouldn't be more than 3/16" deep I in a proper alloyed cast bullet. GC'd bullet is also best to use as softer malleable alloys can be used at higher velocity with accuracy for better terminal effect. The HP can be deeper for rapid expansion in varmints.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I tired making a "hollow point" with a phillips head bit pressed into the tip of the bullet with an arbor press. I soon discovered that you can basically end up with a screwdriver bit *nailed* into the bullet and you need to hit it sideways with a hammer to loosen it. Maybe if you had something holding the bullet securely to the base of the arbor press and something holding the phillips head bit to the shaft of the arbor press, it might work. Need to try it with a tapered cone point or a pyramid point, I guess.

More about me

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post

Larry Gibson

I recall from some of your other posts that you HP your 50/50+2% Sn boolits, to a shallow depth. I need to buy a Forster pilot bushing and was thinking of getting the HP tool at the same time. It seems Forster only has the 1/8th dia. drill available.

What are your thoughts on a shallow hollow point, to a .375" 250gr GC boolit, with said alloy, pushed to 1900fps, on deer and black bear?

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamDahl View Post
    Well, I tired making a "hollow point" with a phillips head bit pressed into the tip of the bullet with an arbor press. I soon discovered that you can basically end up with a screwdriver bit *nailed* into the bullet and you need to hit it sideways with a hammer to loosen it. Maybe if you had something holding the bullet securely to the base of the arbor press and something holding the phillips head bit to the shaft of the arbor press, it might work. Need to try it with a tapered cone point or a pyramid point, I guess.
    Also keep in mind that the lead you displace with your punch needs to have somewhere to go, otherwise you may simple reinvent the reversed hollowbase wadcutter trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast