MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Opossum in the city, need a very quiet load.

Boolit Master
    Don't kill the possum.

22 Shorts with #15 shot capsules are hell on tics though.

Banned
    RPRNY & All,

Our local State Game Biologist recently said that possums seen in your yard in the DAYTIME are often diseased & some of the sick ones have rabies (or are asymptomatic carriers of rabies).

The reason that rabid possums are NOT more common is that most attacks by a rabid animal usually KILLS or severely injures "Pogo".

Btw, my late mother was a "feral cat feeder" for decades. = Some years ago, a "hand-sized" possum appeared at the cat feeding station. The other "eaters" accepted him (evidently as just a funny-looking kitten) & he came to eat at dusk or later every day for several years.

One of the neighborhood "mama cats", who had lost her latest litter, adopted him & taught him to act quite cat like, including washing his paws & "doing figure eights" around Mother's feet. - He even tried HARD to learn to purr like a cat but wasn't particularly successful at that task.
    (Fwiw, that was one fat/sleek/friendly possum!!)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    RPRNY & All,

Our local State Game Biologist recently said that possums seen in your yard in the DAYTIME are often diseased & some of the sick ones have rabies (or are asymptomatic carriers of rabies).
    He is an idiot. The opossum is a marsupial that's why it is rarely rabid. Very hard to infect.

The reason that rabid possums are NOT more common is that most attacks by a rabid animal usually KILLS or severely injures "Pogo".
    Show me the data. There NO data that exists for this sort of bs.

I know the internet is the last place to look for accurate, useful information, but it just doesn't have to be this bad.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    RPRNY & All,

Btw, my late mother was a "feral cat feeder" for decades. = Some years ago, a "hand-sized" possum appeared at the cat feeding station. The other "eaters" accepted him (evidently as just a funny-looking kitten) & he came to eat at dusk or later every day for several years.

One of the neighborhood "mama cats", who had lost her latest litter, adopted him & taught him to act quite cat like, including washing his paws & "doing figure eights" around Mother's feet. - He even tried HARD to learn to purr like a cat but wasn't particularly successful at that task.
    (Fwiw, that was one fat/sleek/friendly possum!!)

yours, tex
    I don't have a lot of faith in game biologists. We have a couple here that can't tell a grizzly from a black bear, and insist the flying squirrels we have here don't exist in Montana.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    for you guys with tick problems send me your address and I will send you a big burlap sack full of possums. I will pay the postage to start with and you can send it back to me. They might be kind of owly by the time they get there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I don't have a lot of faith in game biologists. We have a couple here that can't tell a grizzly from a black bear, and insist the flying squirrels we have here don't exist in Montana.
    For years the Game Wardens here in Okieland told me we didn't have cougars. Nonetheless, I would see one occasionally.
    I think the Oklahoma Wildlife Dept (OWD) finally acknowledged cougars' existence 2 or 3 years ago.
    I was seeing them in the 90's in certain areas.

Banned
    BrentD,

Rather than relying upon or posting your opinion, may I suggest that you do some serious research on rabies??
    IF you do some serious reading on the subject, you will find that ALL mammals can acquire rabies.

Granted that rabies may be more uncommon in marsupials (I don't think that there is positive scientific data that proves that hypothesis.) but nonetheless possums are mammals & therefore MAY become infected with the deadly virus by direct contact with the saliva, urine, blood and/or feces of other infected mammals.
    (Btw, the USDA's official GUIDE TO THE DISEASES OF LIVESTOCK FOR FARMERS, RANCHERS & STOCKMEN states that rabies MAY be acquired by direct contact with the corpses of infected animals.)

yours, tn
    Last edited by texasnative46; 02-25-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: addenda

In Remembrance
    I have only personally seen one mad dog that tested positive for rabies, I was pretty young then. It was not tested , but I believe I killed a rabid opossum with a frog gig, it was the only attack opossum I ever laid eyes on, and I have caught and played with lots of them.

Banned
    starmac,

Personally, I've seen exactly one rabid dog & that was long ago when I was a city marshal.
    (I was asked by the sheriff's office to check out a lady, who had called in to "county central" & was very frightened & incoherent.)

When I arrived, I discovered that she had "been chased into the house" by a rabid dog. I thereafter shot/killed the dog, called the county by radio & requested that the body be retrieved & properly tested/disposed of.

yours, tex

22 short hp high velocity or 22 lr subsonic hp will work quietly.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

22 short or sub sonic for head shot
    But possum has brain the size of a field pea so look at possum skull before taking up arms!
    Coyotes love them, but personally I’d rather have the possum problem.
    Remember- After you dispatch- Possum n sweet taters is first class

All in jest!!!!!! Possums pose no problem and are fun to watch. No reason to kill!
    Last edited by Catpop; 03-02-2018 at 10:06 AM.

I was doing some work outside the other night and the momma possum came up to eat some cat food and I noticed that her belly was about to drag the ground she is going to have her a bunch of kids soon they will be fun to watch D Crockett

I had a Possum living under the front crawlspace of the house. The quietest way to get rid of them is a have-a-heart trap and a rubbermade container filled with water. I have drownings regularly here in town....Possums, skunks, squirrels (reds and greys), and chimpunks...gotta thin the herds around here. I don't mind critters...I actually love seeing them...but when they want to live where I live....that's where I draw the line.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance

.223 + SRP + 1.5 grs. B'eye + .22 air rifle pellet. Lift muzzle before firing. Problem goes away quietly. BTDT.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

.22 cb short or long from a rifle is less noisy than an air rifle and plenty for ‘possum.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    This guy would eat 2 pounds of cat food a night, then try to get at my chickens for desert. Had to go but before he did he chewed the heck out of my Labrador Retriever.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    Seriously?

He chewed up your Lab?

Boolit Master
    I wouldn’t have expected that. I mean, your gerbil, sure. But a dog that size?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Man
    My Bengimin nitro piston .22 has a built in suppressor on the barrel. It is quieter than a suppresd .22. It has plenty of power for what needs taken care of. Squirrels, coons, possums, it doesn't matter. With the right pellets there is plenty of penitration.

Possums are useful critters, better to let them do their job. Each possum kills up to 10K ticks in a season (they groom each other and eat the ticks they find) and they eat lots of trash, dead stuff, bugs.
    But if you must, smoke them with lots of sweet taters.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast