Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Opossum in the city, need a very quiet load.

Boolit Buddy
    when needed in my pest control business i u use .22cb shorts its quiter than a pellet gun and works!

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if it would be possible to design a barrel insert for a 12-gauge single shot shotgun that had a .38 inner barrel and a suppressor that would still fit inside the barrel of the last foot or so of the shotgun barrel. Probably not enough volume...
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Master
    A 1/4" pipe tends to fit a .38Spl case, and I have used one as long as my barrel to do something similar. Now, this wasn't fancy, and I'm not even sure it was safe, but I didn't know that back in jr. high so got away with it. I used duct tape to wrap around the "breach" and "muzzle of my pipe til it fit the inside of the 12ga barrel and keep the pipe centered, but DID NOT modify anything to create a suppressor-type device, as I didn't even know about that at the time. I just wanted something to shoot a box of .38s I had been given but didn't have a gun to shoot out of. I fired those 50rds, then my parents figured out what I was doing and threw away my pipe, but it was safe for those 50 shots. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't even risk trying to make a suppressor without a stamp, especially when I can go get a pipe just like I had, and a roll of duct tape, and just load a few very light .38s, and I'm sure it would be as quiet as a pelletgun just due to the length of the barrel if you were to use it in something with a longish barrel, like the H&R single shot that I did this with years ago. Accuracy wasn't great by any means, but it was plenty good for me to hit coke cans at 15-20yds back then, and I would bet that you can get much closer than that to a possum. I mean, we are relaoders, so any of us can load light loads, and all these would really have to do is make it out the muzzle.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

You don't need much volume for a suppressor. But it's illegal in your parts, no?

You could set up a quiet load and fire it through a suppressor box conveniently placed.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    You don't need much volume for a suppressor. But it's illegal in your parts, no?

You could set up a quiet load and fire it through a suppressor box conveniently placed.
    No, you just have to pay an unconstitutional tax on it.

Now, I wonder if whether creating a compensator that just happened to reduce the sound pressure would fall under the (unconstitutional) NFA rules.

Of course, since I don't own a lathe or mill, this is just an academic question for me.
    Last edited by grumman581; 08-29-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    A 1/4" pipe tends to fit a .38Spl case, and I have used one as long as my barrel to do something similar. Now, this wasn't fancy, and I'm not even sure it was safe, but I didn't know that back in jr. high so got away with it. I used duct tape to wrap around the "breach" and "muzzle of my pipe til it fit the inside of the 12ga barrel and keep the pipe centered, but DID NOT modify anything to create a suppressor-type device, as I didn't even know about that at the time. I just wanted something to shoot a box of .38s I had been given but didn't have a gun to shoot out of. I fired those 50rds, then my parents figured out what I was doing and threw away my pipe, but it was safe for those 50 shots. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't even risk trying to make a suppressor without a stamp, especially when I can go get a pipe just like I had, and a roll of duct tape, and just load a few very light .38s, and I'm sure it would be as quiet as a pelletgun just due to the length of the barrel if you were to use it in something with a longish barrel, like the H&R single shot that I did this with years ago. Accuracy wasn't great by any means, but it was plenty good for me to hit coke cans at 15-20yds back then, and I would bet that you can get much closer than that to a possum. I mean, we are relaoders, so any of us can load light loads, and all these would really have to do is make it out the muzzle.
    At which point, you created a .38 caliber smoothbore shotgun that you just happened to be shooting "slugs" out of.

Hammer , works real well...

Now, I wonder if whether creating a compensator that just happened to reduce the sound pressure would fall under the (unconstitutional) NFA rules.
    A poster somewhere said no. In one state (he said), it was legal provided it did not reduce noise levels by more than some figure, could have been 4 db or maybe 2 db. I don't think he was sure. 3 db is half the sound pressure level. Anyway, I had a muzzle device no bigger than a muzzle break that was a mini suppressor but it cut recoil considerably. It may have given only 4 db. It's hard to tell. It was as effective as a full blown commercial over-barrel suppressor on my buddies 308.

That suppressor tax, is that for crime control? It doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-30-2013 at 05:36 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    Of course, since I don't own a lathe or mill, this is just an academic question for me.
    Kind of sad that we have to put those sorts of caveats in our posts so that people don't get their panties in a wad.
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Buddy
    I suspect that very few (if any) things the government has done over the last 150 years has been "right". It has pretty much gone downhill since we made the mistake of moving that last liberal Illinois senator to DC around 150 years ago.

More about me

Boolit Master

A poster somewhere said no. In one state (he said), it was legal provided it did not reduce noise levels by more than some figure, could have been 4 db or maybe 2 db. I don't think he was sure. 3 db is half the sound pressure level. Anyway, I had a muzzle device no bigger than a muzzle break that that a mini suppressor but is cut recoil considerably. It may have given only 4 db. It's hard to tell. It was as effective as a full blown commercial over-barrel suppressor on my buddies 308.

I think that they probably *used* "crime control" as an excuse when they created that (unconstitutional) rule. I don't believe that it had any affect on crime though. I have to wonder if *they* even thought that it would have an effect when they created it.

Boolit Master
    It is currently, and has been since it was imposed in 1934, a $200 tax. Now, I put that 200 figure into a online inflation calculator to see how much it would be if it had changed along with inflation, and $200 back then was the equivalent of a bit over $3000 today. Makes me think it had nothing to do with crime, and everything to do with control. I guess some things don't change after all. It was just intended as one of those "we're not saying you CAN'T have it, just that you have to pay a STEEP PRICE to have it". Well, I see that as being as UNconstitutional as if they had said we can't have it outright, because that is the effect it had for most people. Now, given the choice of paying a tax and not having it, I will pay the tax, but that is just because I would much rather bitch about an unjust law from outside a cell than inside one. I figure from poutside a cell, at least I can try and write letters and hopefully someday vote to repeal this BS law.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

In Remembrance

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred
    a live trap, cat food, and a 30 gal garbage can.
    They go for the food, trap closes, drop the cage in the water, blub, blub, blub.

Any animal control will lend you a trap

Save yer ammo for them 2 legged varmints
    SMFH. . .

If you're going to kill something, kill it humanely. Drowning, poisoning or burning something to death is bull**** and indicative of a sick and cowardly mind--of which it seems we're getting an ever growing amount of around here, which probably explains the reduced frequency of postings by older members.

However, the individual I quoted up above has been on my longtime Ignore List and even when I see him quoted by other members in response, I generally just ignore. But I can only take so much of some of the keyboard commandos we have around here who I envision typing with one hand while stroking a pimped out black gun in the other as John Milius movies play in the background with the tv reflecting off a wall with "Wolverines" spray painted on it.

It's a (expletive deleted) possum. I've had 'em in my yard from time to time in the city and after about two days, they were gone. They're basically nomadic and don't stick around. The one and only one I ever had stick around in town was dispatched with two shots from a Ruger MKII using some subsonic ammo and a heavily duct-tape wrapped 20oz Coke bottle on the end of the barrel. Two more shots directly into the head ensured that he wasn't playing possum and was in fact dead. Into a garbage bag he/she went and curbside garbage pickup took care of the rest.

Had one in the hangar a couple of years ago that didn't want to leave--the dog chased him off and we never saw him again.

Trap the damned thing then give it to animal control or go to the edge of town and dump it or whatever. Or shoot it cleanly and bury it or throw it in the garbage. There is no sane, rational, ethical reason to torture, poison or drown the thing--just kill it quick and sure and be done with it.

Foot hold or conibear traps cannot legally be set within X distance of a domicile or place a human travels etc etc.

What are these possums hurting? Dad always said they were natures garbage men.

I just grab them by the tail and take them somewhere where they can be happy. When I was a kid the pelts were worth a buck each.

No town in my area has an animal control person. We have a County Dog Warden woman but she don't mess with things that don't pay.

I never invite people with county, state, fed plates to my house!
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    Did a quick web search and could not find any such thing. Found a "Golden Malrin fly bait" though... Same thing?
    Yep same thing. We talk a lot about "ethical" killing here. Think about that.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

In Remembrance
    That opossum would be proud he has caused 3 pages of discussion, just to get rid of him. lol

Boolit Master

Which is worse, possum's or armadillo's?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Which is worse, possum's or armadillo's?
    Hmmm... Let's see... On one hand, 'possums attempt to steal the food of your dogs and get into your trash can... They also get in trees and you might not be able to see them at night, even though your dogs are barking at them... On the other, armadillos tear up your yard... Both end up making my dogs bark in the middle of the night and I have to wake up, go outside, and dispatch the pest... Armadillos have a shell which is tough enough that bird shot will often just bounce off of it...

I would have to say that armadillos are worse just because of the damage that they can do to your yard.

Boolit Master

Around here armadillo's have caught up with possums as roadkill despite the fact they are relatively recent residents. That hard shell is no match for 18 wheelers.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Plus, their defensive mechanism is to jump up when surprised. Worked great for horses, not so much for 18-wheelers. I've seen them jump up to 5 ft high. Makes for an interesting shot at night. Try to get them at the top of the jump when you pull the trigger...

According to the information on this site, it's only 3-4 ft, but I'm pretty sure that it was at least shoulder height when I encountered it late one night.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/armadillo.html

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast