Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Old Ruger 3 screw

Old Ruger 3 screw

I found one of these today for $325.00. In 45 colt. My husband is really fond of his Blackhawk but collects all kinds of revolvers. No safe queens but loves hot cast loads. Will the old Ruger handle the heavy loads he likes. I've got lgs holding it until I can see it first thing in the morning.

I have an old Ruger 3 screw in 44 mag that was made in 1965. First of all that is a great price even if it is converted, and secondly it handles the same hot loads I run through my other 44’s just fine. I’d snatch that up for your husband I’m sure he will love it.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Your husband will love that Black Hawk. https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings. John Linebaugh wrote about how strong they were,

He has a Blackhawk. This is an old model Vaquero. No transfer bar. Cylinder throats show issues on what I've read. I'm by far no gun expert and don't want to ask him since it's a gift for Father's Day.

All Vaquero's have transfer bar's, were never made without them. All Ruger Blackhawks post 1973 have transfer bars, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    Your husband will love that Black Hawk. https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings. John Linebaugh wrote about how strong they were,
    I noticed the artical said "New Model Blackhawks". Are the "Old Model Blackhawks" just as strong?

Quote Originally Posted by wendyj View Post
    I found one of these today for $325.00. In 45 colt. My husband is really fond of his Blackhawk but collects all kinds of revolvers. No safe queens but loves hot cast loads. Will the old Ruger handle the heavy loads he likes. I've got lgs holding it until I can see it first thing in the morning.
    The Ruger Old Model (3 screw) Blackhawks in 45 Colt are essential the same size as the Colt Single Action with better steel. They could be loaded hotter than the Colt. When there were in production, the word got around, they could be loaded hotter and handloaders began to do so, and some went beyond "some hotter" to "really hotter". In an abundance of caution Ruger dropped these pistols and brought out the larger "New Model Blackhawk" with a larger frame and cylinder and these can be loaded "really hotter". While at the change, Ruger changed to lockwork so it would be carried with a round under the hammer.

It is a very good idea to keep Old Model Blackhawks in 45 Colt to factory pressures or "somewhat hotter". If "really hot" loads are wanted, then stick with the New Model Blackhawk.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wendyj View Post
    He has a Blackhawk. This is an old model Vaquero. No transfer bar. Cylinder throats show issues on what I've read. I'm by far no gun expert and don't want to ask him since it's a gift for Father's Day.
    wendyi, if it's a Vaquero it has a transfer bar, as veeman stated, 'All Vaqueros have transfer bars, they were never made without them'. Also 'old model' Vaquero is a misnomer. The 1st model Vaqueros were built on the New Model Blackhawk frame, not the original Blackhawk frame or what is commonly referred to as 'old model'. If the seller is advertising the gun without a transfer bar he either doesn't know about Ruger Vaqueros or is blowing smoke...... Buyer beware!

Attachment 221466When I got there to look at it Someone had a 44 Super Blackhawk and holster on consignment for $500.00 Knowing he likes to have a heavy load I just bought this for him instead. The Vaquero looked like it had never been cleaned. I think he will like it. He has a 454 casull that hurts his hands now since we both have arthritis. Time to buy another mold. I have a very good friend on here that sent us some 44 cast to use in my rifle so we can both pack 44 now.

Boolit Master

Well done, great buy
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Do you offer lessons?

Boolit Grand Master
    Your husband is a very lucky guy to have a partner to share this stuff with. Way to go!

If you want to load up and try some of the Lee TL430-240-SWC let me know and I will send you some. They are lubed with Lee ALOX and not sized. My Ruger SRH shot them fine without sizing. This way you can try them before you buy a mold. Just send a PM if interested.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The Ruger Old Model (3 screw) Blackhawks in 45 Colt are essential the same size as the Colt Single Action with better steel.
    Since the lady bought a 44 this is just for clarification. The OM, 3-screw Blackhawk in 45 Colt I own is most definitely not the same size as the Colt SAA. It is larger, heavier and has a much thicker top strap and chamber walls in the cylinder. The early Flat-top, 3-screw 357 Blackhawk was closer to the size of a Colt New Frontier but certainly not a copy.

When Ruger brought out their "new Vaquero" (for lack of a better name) it was closer in size to the Colt although there are dimensional differences there as well.

Dave