Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Opossum in the city, need a very quiet load.

Opossum in the city, need a very quiet load.

Have 300 blackout, 9mm, and 30-06 to work with, completely discounting my 223.
    I want as quiet as possible. Anyone got a load that will work near silently w/o suppressor?
    Quiet is the main goal here and ethical dispatch.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In Remembrance
    Just kick it, no boolits needed.

The girlfriends little brother chased in with a mop handle. Didn't work real well.

Got a little patch of back yard, seen him 3 nights in a row. Thinking of using 300blk with 200 grain lee run boolit and 1.5 grains of titegroup.. Any thoughts?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Perma-Banned

Yeah, a pellet gun to the noggin.

Boolit Master
    The 300-9mm-30/06 are just a little dangerous for city work unless your on the edge of town shooting away from town. At slow speeds the big projectiles bounce like a stone on the surface of water. It takes a long barrel 26" to get quiet 24" is semi quiet. The best thing I have found for varmint control is a 22 rimfire rifle that will shoot Super Colibri well. It takes a precise head shot on oppsums no matter what you use. The darn things can really stand up to body shots like Godzilla.

For big bore big pest quiet I use a 375 Win with 250 grain cast over 2.5 grains of Bullseye. Or, the 44 Mag using a 44 special case to decrease dead air space with 429303 in a Encore with 26" barrel again using 2.5 gr Bullseye. Nice thing about the single shot T/Cs is they are easy to check that the bullet left the barrel. The bigger bore of the 44 seems a little quieter than the 375.

I'll still use the Super Colibri for the little opposums.

Boolit Buddy
    While your mind seems set, the thing to set is a trap. Ask yourself "who is smarter" , that possum or you. Bet youtube shows some homemade traps. Explaining a homemade device on that firestick to the copper wont be easy. Good luck...

My hushpuppy load is a 190g .30 at about 400 fps.I'd have to check but in the 30-06 i think it was 2.5 of Win. Super Target Or Bulls-eye.its quiet.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

my favorite is cci minicaps 710 fps and real quiet out my bolt action 22 , like a pellet gun on steroids !
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Buddy
    They don't run very fast, chase it down and use a baseball bat to put it down. A mop handle is a bit light.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Boolit Master

I use a .357mag with a 158 gr cast lead bullet and around 2.5 gr of Hodgedon Clays, IIRC. I believe that they chrono around 350-400 fps. They will go through an armadillo or possum, so I ensure that I have shooting down at them so that the bullet goes into the ground afterward. It is quieter than a .22LR round, although not as quiet as the super quiet .22 rounds that are probably nothing more than just primer when shot in a bolt action. A single shot is unlikely to give anyone a sense of direction on where the sound came from, especially late at night when most people are inside.

With a semi-auto, you probably won't have enough power to cycle the action. When experimenting with extremely low power loads, you need to ensure that the bullet cleared the barrel before firing a subsequent shot. Personally, I would not use a semi-auto for any load that could not properly cycle the action.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

a live trap, cat food, and a 30 gal garbage can.
    They go for the food, trap closes, drop the cage in the water, blub, blub, blub.

Any animal control will lend you a trap

Save yer ammo for them 2 legged varmints
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    a live trap, cat food, and a 30 gal garbage can.
    They go for the food, trap closes, drop the cage in the water, blub, blub, blub.

Any animal control will lend you a trap

Save yer ammo for them 2 legged varmints
    Will that work on cats also?
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Buddy
    Where there is one possum there are more, you're just seeing one. Something that works on dogs chasing a bicyclists is squirting them with ammonia-water solution. They don't like it and quit chasing bikes! Might work on possums too, I dunno. Sounds like an excuse to get a bow, crossbow or maybe a good pellet rifle to me though.

I got into an altercation with a possum that wouldn't come out from under some steps where some stuff was stored. I'd poke at the bugger with a broom handle, he'd bite onto it, I'd drag him most of the way out, he'd let go...repeat ad nauseum. Then he knocked over one of those plastic jugs of mineral spirits and hid behind it so I had to drag that out from under the steps with the broom handle...possum bit into the plastic jug of mineral spirits and wasn't amused-finally ran off and we didn't have any of them digging in our garbage for about 3 years-seems he spread the word not to mess with that house over there!

Now we have dogs...
    Last edited by Capt. Methane; 08-26-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    I realise your possums are different to the ones in this country and New Zealand. The way I used to nail them was lean a 3x2 against the tree or wall they wish to climb, like a lot of people animals are lazy, and will take the easiest route. fix a piano wire noose half way up that is just large enough for possum to put head through, again like a lot of people we know they will keep walking through, and noose will tighten around its neck. The risk of discharging a firearm in town to kill a possum is not worth loosing your guns over. Or heaven forbad shooting some one.

Boolit Master
    This depends on what kind of guns the calibers you listed are in. For example, I tried this load in a 26" 1917 and a Rem 700 22", both .30-06. Loaded a 90gr cast Lee SWC over 1.5grs Red Dot, and it sounded like a .22LR in the Remington, but like a pelletgun in the 26" 1917. So even a slight difference in barrel length can make a huge difference. The same load except with a jacketed 90gr Hornady XTP didn't even clear the muzzle. Can't remember where or why I got them, but had a few left so figured I'd try one. Anyway, this is doable, but you have to be very careful because these type of loads penetrate much more than most people would believe til they see it, and as others have said, they are dangerous and need to be used with extreme caution. Make very sure you have a safe backstop, and if you don't, then you don't want to take the chance by taking the shot. They skip, ricochet, and do God only knows what else, so be very careful.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Every city, even the small ones, have an animal control group. Borrow a live trap, bait it, catch the critter. Call animal control, they will come pick it up. I have done that with cats, stray dogs, a couple of raccoons and a parrot. Discharging a firearm in the city limits will not go good for you if you get tagged. We as a shooting community, don't need that kind of press, and you as an individual, probably don't want to make the acquaintance of some new lawyer friends that will take all your money.
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

For slow moving vermin, I use a shovel.

As was mentioned, an arrow is quiet and effective.

Boolit Master
    I will echo similar comments....

Do you not have an animal control in your town/city? That's their specialty....

Frequently, as others here have stated - they will lend you the trap.... Set the trap, catch possum, call animal control....

My #2 solution would be a tall trashcan with catfood inside and a board leading up to it.... Possum smells food... Walks up... Climbs down to get food... Stuck.... You put lid on trashcan and take it somewhere away... Either dispatch it somewhere far away (And have a drain hole in your trash can)... or turn it loose - which I wouldn't do for fear of spreading disease/rabies....

This way - you don't have to be the guy sitting out in the dark in your back yard (IN TOWN) holding a big hunting rifle.... That sort of thing gets the police called....

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I agree that animal control is the best option.I would not take the chance of using a big bore subsonic round.A .22 rifle from what I have been told can be very quiet using subsonic shorts, a disposable latex baby bottle nipple and some duct tape , google it.Then google the laws concerning shooting a firearm with an unregistered suppressor and call animal control or buy a live trap.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast