MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Opossum in the city, need a very quiet load.

If you want to kill something, go shoot an armadillo. They are carriers of Leprosy. We have a considerable population of them here in NW Arkansas and unfortunately, they must taste good. There has been a very high outbreak of Leprosy among the Marshallese population here. Seems they like to eat armadillo.......

Had a possum last year come up. Think he was smelling my garbage can, but made it into my dog yard. My three terriers just couldn't figure him out. They would back him into a corner and then he would fall over dead. Smallest terrier, and the meanest would bite it, but it would stay dead for a while. Then get up and wander over the fence and away till next time. Coyote probably had dinner as I haven't seen any in a while.

Boolit Buddy
    We pop every one we see. They may or may not carry or catch rabies but the do carry EPM. Two of our closest neighbors, one 10miles away and the other 5 miles, have lost horses to EPM in the last 5-8 years. Also one of my customers lost two in the last 2yrs. It attacks the central nervous system, acts almost like a stroke, but with leasions on the brain and spinal column. They basically waste away or have to be put down. Dad raises, trains and sells performance Quarter Horses, when it comes to a $20k+ horse and a year or two worth of time and training, we take Zero chances.

In town is different, I understand that, granddad live in town and uses a 22cal pellet rifle or his bolt 22 with CB shorts or CCI quite-22s.

And as for eating ticks, that's what chickens and quail are for.
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 04-21-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The ticks get sprayed in my little corner of heaven. The possums get whatever caliber I'm carrying at the time. The yard is for the children not the wildlife.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Baseball bat or a golf club works pretty good too.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    I was told the reason GOD made armadillos was so folks could have possum on the 1/2 shell ...but y'a know how rumors are .

Lost a "GOOD " horse to EPM ,,treatment run about 2K,,he lived but no longer useable for cowboy work . I shoot all I see on my ( small ) place .

coffee's ready ,,, Hootmix.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Careful you don't get busted for animal cruelty beating that poor creature to death. Last one I killed I used a crescent wrench.

Boolit Master
    I have eaten armadillo and did not get leprosy. Why would one get anything if they cook it. I eat pork, beef, lamb, etc. without catching any of the diseases they carry, e.g. foot and mouth, anthrax, brucellosis, etc..

Are people getting leprosy from the armadillos or are armadillos catching it from the people. Consider that leprosy was known in the ancient world but they did not have any armadillos to blame it on.

Boolit Master
    EPM is widely distributed, almost every state, but armadillos are not. It is known that leprosy is caused by a bacteria that lives in wet muddy conditions armadillos or not. Perhaps something similar is involved with EPM.

Boolit Master
    Recently read about someone getting arrested for inhumanity for drowning trapped animals.

Boolit Master
    IGNORANCE = "NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution."

A natural born citizen is ANYONE who has citizenship by condition of birth.

Boolit Mold
    I didn't read entire thread but do some searches for mouse-fart loads. You can do some amazingly low decibel things, even with 45-70 which is my preference for such things. I'm betting someone has already suggested this, but just in case.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can trap em.
    Drop em in a large bucket or small trash can with a lid.
    Shoot in a bunch of ether (starting fluid) and close the lid tight.
    Dispose of remains in an appropriate manner.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789