MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Opossum in the city, need a very quiet load.

Boolit Master
    They generally don't cause any problems. So i leave them along. from This thread people are the problem
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy

A 100# Chesapeake Bay Retriever works wonders

Boolit Buddy
    Once had a dobie male that decided possums must be puppies... over his lifetime, he tried to bring five different pogo's in the house. I'd separate him from his new pet... bring him in and put pogo in a tree... and the next time he went out the possum would be waiting to play. Ended up having to shoot pogo anyway just to keep it out of the house. The dog, not the brightest bulb on the tree, never quite put it all together.

Boolit Master

Possum DOES NOT taste like chicken !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Possum DOES NOT taste like chicken !
    Wanna share your recipe?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    Pour some Diet Coke into a dish, add about a cup of Golden Malin Fly Bait. You will find the opossum dead next to the dish. It works on some raccoons also, but not all will drink it. The neighborhood cats will not touch it inasmuch as it smells like rotten flesh. I do not know if dogs will drink it or not. Personnaly, shooting them, especially in the city is not a good idea. Aside from possibly legal problems of shooting in town, you have to be there when the opossum(s), are, whereas the fly bait method works when ever they show up.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Why not just catch them, and take them somewhere else? They aren't fast, and you can easily grab them by the neck or tail. Did it quite a few times when I was a kid.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
    Pour some Diet Coke into a dish, add about a cup of Golden Malin Fly Bait. You will find the opossum dead next to the dish. It works on some raccoons also, but not all will drink it. The neighborhood cats will not touch it inasmuch as it smells like rotten flesh. I do not know if dogs will drink it or not. Personnaly, shooting them, especially in the city is not a good idea. Aside from possibly legal problems of shooting in town, you have to be there when the opossum(s), are, whereas the fly bait method works when ever they show up.
    Dogs will drink that mix. Some out here use that to take care of what ever is around.but keep there pets confine.Also some will also drink antifreeze also.it have a sweet to it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

In Remembrance
    Like Waksupi said, they AIN'T fast, heck as slow as I am I bet I could still catch opossums, if you are scared to catch it (no reason to be) then just thump it with a stick, no muss, no fuss.

Boolit Buddy

Consider a .17 or .22 air rifle
    This animal may have closed hunting/shooting season in your state
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ohiochuck View Post
    Consider a .17 or .22 air rifle
    This animal may have closed hunting/shooting season in your state
    Jim
    They mainly have them here for the trapping season.As a furbearer ,if you can get close to them just use a fishing net on them and use gloves to handle them. I was told that they carry something that is bad for horse .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Went to a seminar for Tick Borne Illnesses and possum were 99% rabies free and had very few deer ticks because they groom themselves so well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by afish4570 View Post
    Went to a seminar for Tick Borne Illnesses and possum were 99% rabies free and had very few deer ticks because they groom themselves so well.
    This is why if one is a problem around me anymore,, they get trapped and the witness relocation program. Anything that eats ticks has got to be good to have around.

http://www.caryinstitute.org/newsroo...-killers-ticks

I’ll post it over and over again. Possums eat tics. One possum eats 5000 tics/year. Lyme disease is no joke. Possums are a natural, effective, safe method to control tics and hopefully Lyme disease.

Please read the article in the link. It is short, but informative.

Possums are good. Don’t kill them. Spread the word.

Adopt a possum.
    Last edited by catboat; 02-18-2018 at 09:54 PM.

catboat I have adopt 2 of them they live under my shed in the back yard. they have been there for about 4 years now. they come up on the carport and eat the cat food. they do not bother the cats and the cats do not bother them. ever spring they have there kids and life is good for the us and them. D Crockett

In Remembrance
    When I was a kid, 13 or 14 years old I caught a small one and took it into a little crossroads country bar one night. I held it in both hands curled up where you could not see the head nor tail and the barmaid thought it was a cute little rabbit. She petted it till I let it uncurl, then let out a scream and jumped away. lol

A lady that was fairly tanked up wanted to buy it, I told her 2 bucks and she whipped it out, all the while her husband was griping about it. I ask ho many more she wanted, and she said all I had, I knew where the rest of the litter was, so went and got her 4 more, not too shabby when minimum wage was about 1 buck an hour. Her husband was beside himself though. lol

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    Yeah, a pellet gun to the noggin.
    That is what I use, 30 caliber PCP pellet rifle.

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Banned
    300blk,

Imo, the medecine for possums in the city is a .22 SHORT gallery load out of a long barreled rifle. = fairly quiet & will do the job.
    (Or an arrow with field tip from a bow.)

Mr. Pogo Possum takes LITTLE killing.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    It never had anything to do with crime. It was 1934 the heart of the depression and game managers were afraid it would encourage rampant poaching and jacklighting so they pushed for it.

Boolit Master
    If armadillos are tearing up your yard use something to kill all the grubs. What do you expect when you have a food platter out front? We have lots of armadillos here but none in the yards and gardens since we got rid of the grubs.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast