Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: New to me mould

New to me mould

I went to a gun show yesterday and looked at a couple of old Ideal single cavities in .458 cal. Was remotely interested, but not enough to buy. Then this other guy said he had a couple of 45 cal. pistol molds in is car if I was interested so I told him to bring them in. They were also Ideal molds for 45 acp, double cavities. He also had a Saeco #68, with handles, four cavity. I asked how much and he said 100$ for just the blocks, no handles. Well, I did not need this mold, but was interested as my older son has a 1911. I looked that Saeco over pretty closely and listened to the guy yapping about it. Thanks to you folks here I knew more about casting and his mold than he did so I decided to play. The sprue plate is warped, wich I proved to him, the handles were sloppy, (not really), and the mould had been abused. I walked away with mould and handles for 65$. Some judicious file work and I can get the blocks back in shape I think. Can I straighten the sprue plate? I figure it will be worth the effort and if I can't get it straight I should be able to buy a new plate from Saeco. Also bought 80 pieces of once fired WW 30-30 brass for 16$, and a small cast brass dove paperweight thingy for 5$ just cuz it is cute. JW

Boolit Grand Master

May be able to straighten the sprue plate and then dress it flat
    with a file and wet or dry sandpaper on a surface plate.

Excellent boolit for 1911s, size .452, seat to 1.250-1.260 LOA, taper crimp
    to .465 to .470 as a separate operation. I prefer Bullesye or Titegroup,
    and 4.8 is a great load. Set LOA and TC to match the dismounted barrel
    as your gauge. Numerous other loads will work well.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

MtGun44, thanks for the advice. I worked on the blocks with a file, lightly, and I think all is kosher there. The sprue plate is a different challenge. It is warped with center (pivot point) down and both ends up slightly. I am going to try resting it over two blocks of wood and use another block of wood as a center punch right in the middle and gently massage it back into as straight as I can get it. Then I will use some rubbing on a sheet of glass covered with some emery paper. I hope it works, but I think it will, and if not I will contact Saeco. Thanks for the loading advice. I have been loading the Lyman 230 gr. RN for my oldest son for a couple years now but we have not tried a SWC boolit yet. This 200 grainer should save some lead and still give him a viable load to shoot if I can make it work. I am pretty sure if I can get it to cast ok I will also try it in my RBH in 45 Colt just for fun. Who knows, could turn out to be a good plinker load. JW

Boolit Master
    If that dosent work, try placing the plate, warp up, on a solid steel smooth surface and hit it with a leather-faced hammer. I have had good results flattening steel plates in the past using this method (not sprue plates tho).
    R.D.M.

Thanks, blackthorn. I believe I will try your method first as I am sorta scared of going too far with the wood block method I had mentioned earlier. JW

Ok here's the results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wIMG_1334.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	82180

Name:	wIMG_1336.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	82181

Name:	wIMG_1337.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	82182
    Bottom side of the sprue plate after I resurfaced it.

Name:	wIMG_1338.jpg 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	82183
    Top of mould blocks after I resurfaced.

Name:	wIMG_1341.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	82184
    Samples of cast.

Name:	wIMG_1342.jpg 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	82185
    Samples and loaded rounds.

Name:	wIMG_1343.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	82186
    Comparison with Lyman round nose loads.

Looks good.
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

Boolit Bub
    Not bad for $65 and a little elbow grease.

Boolit Grand Master

Those 68s are the gold standard in 1911s. Absolutely reliable feeders if loaded right and you have what
    is the normal throated barrel for the last 25-30 years, accurate and use less lead than the 230s. Any time
    I can use 15% less lead and have the same amount of fun, I am up for it.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Bill, I cast them of my rendition of Lyman #2, they weighed in at 201 gr. and fell from the mold at .454. I sized them down to .451 cuz that's what the kids gun likes, lubed with r5r's Simple Lube. I set them on top of 5.8 gr. of W231, primed with cci-300, taper crimp. Have yet to fire any as son is out of town, should be back soon to shoot a few and let me know how they do. As I stated earlier in this thread I do not own a 45acp, but I may have to start looking for one soon. I kinda like the way those loaded rounds look. Have also thought about loading a few in 45 Schofield cases to try out of RBH in 45 Colt just for kicks, might be a cheap plinker load. JW

Hey there, JW. Nice score! That boolit will shoot just fine in your .45 Colt. You can just roll crimp over the shoulder OR use a taper crimp on the boolit with lighter loads..... I do it all the time in my BH with excellent results. Got a spare .45 ACP cylinder too, but I prefer .45 Colt and size them to .452 to fit in my reamed throats.

Job well done!
    Paul
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Looking good!