RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE B 24 The Genius of Henry Ford.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates

THE B 24 The Genius of Henry Ford.

The Genius of Henry Ford.
    This was BEFORE Pearl Harbor !
    Ford's B-24 Bomber Plant at Willow Run, MI

Henry Ford was determined that he could mass produce bombers just as he had done with cars.

He built the Willow Run assembly plant and proved it. It was the world's largest building under one roof.

Even then FORD HAD A BETTER IDEA!

This film will absolutely blow you away - one B-24 every 55 minutes.

ADOLF HITLER HAD NO IDEA THE U.S. WAS CAPABLE OF THIS KIND OF THING.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/iKlt6rNciTo?rel=0.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Amazing!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Nice .... thanks for the link

Sadly I doubt we could do that these days. We'd have to start by building the machines that make the machines that build the production line if we couldn't import them from overseas.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thanks for posting this. The sound of round engines always gets my attention. I spent 8 years in the Air Force, and 31 years at Delta Airlines. I now build parts for airplanes that are no longer suported by their builders. Things like engine cowling, wheel pants, instrument panels, firewalls, and sheet metal items. That is why my on line name is Shaper.

Boolit Master
    Not only could we not do it here, why pay Americans a fair days wage for a fair days work, when you can send the work to Mexico where you can pay a good wage to a few dozen supervisors and poverty wages to the rest of the workforce. That is now the American way.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

In Remembrance

This week divers in Lake St. Clair, off Detroit, discovered and brought to the surface an aerial bomb. Detroit bomb experts from the State police determined it was a safe practice bomb from WW 1!Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Where would ANYONE today get the money necessary to do that?

How many years from the idea till the first $ of profit is seen?

Bean counters would have hung old Henry out to dry.

Boolit Man

All that with only common sense and slide rules, no computer usage then. It boggles the mind to try to imagine the coordination between manufacturers and suppliers and the pre-assembly areas, to get everything to the assembly line on time.
    Most places can barely do it now. Outstanding generation of Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    To many rules & regulations now. The airplane could not be invented with all the bs we have to put up with now.
    Your correct. I bet there are more regulations on Eagle Claw making fish hooks now then Ford ever had to deal with back then.

Vendor Sponsor

THAT... Is why they called them the "Greatest Generation." Any questions?

Awesome video! Thanks!!

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

Wow! That doesn't even come close. I never knew. Thanks for sharing. An awesome film. Sad to see the demise of the American ability to produce such things.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    When you look back during WWII it simply amazes me at the time from building the various factories to make guns, ammunition, planes and tanks. And then getting the stuff to where it was needed. I seem to remember one of the shipyards did an entire liberty ship during one 24 hour day just to prove it could be done. There is no way should we become embroiled in another world war that things could be done that way. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    When you look back during WWII it simply amazes me at the time from building the various factories to make guns, ammunition, planes and tanks. And then getting the stuff to where it was needed. I seem to remember one of the shipyards did an entire liberty ship during one 24 hour day just to prove it could be done. There is no way should we become embroiled in another world war that things could be done that way. Frank
    liberty ship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8RszOQwWGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oX_x-L_BoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mun1AdlTiag
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Aw heck we don't need to be able to do all that now, we could just get them from China!

Seems everything and the stinkin box it comes in is made in China these days, this is going to come back and bite us on the butt bigtime and I don't think it's going to be long in happening.

Hey Guys!!! You are forgetting we live in the country that makes the M1 Abrams tank, F16 Fighting Falcon, F/A 18 Super Hornet, F117 Nighthawk Stealth, B2 bomber, and the B1 bomber, and the list goes on! Sure, these things end up being way overbudget, and we as taxpayers foot that bill, but these are the best in the world!!! And I'm DAMN proud to be an American!

On Heaven's Range

The times-in-production are being quoted deceptively.

The individual B24 was NOT built in 55 minutes, nor was the liberty ship built in 24 hours.

It was the RATE of production, the VOLUME, that saw a bomber roll off the line every 55 minutes, or a ship launched every 24 hours. The individual bomber likely took at least some days to build, and the ship likely took weeks or months from keel-laying to launching.

The sub-assemblies also took considerable time in production at different sites, and their makers had to ensure that the particular sub-assemblies made it to the main factory in a timely manner so as not to impede the flow of the assembly line.

Even so, it was a MOST impressive effort and the results speak for themselves.

I agree that our present-day production is supplying incredibly sophisticated and efficient creations to our Forces. There is no need for the volumes of WW II, and I surely do hope that remains constant into the future.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

To bad the B-24 couldn't take much battle damage. That said.
    A friend of mines father. Flew them for a while in the Pacific. They were up engine and carried torpedoes. Radar altimeters allowed flying very close to the water. Every night they would turn them down one of the slots between the islands. Balls to the wall fifty foot off the swells straight at an enemy ship. Not a job for the faint of heart. Amazing part is he was alive to tell the story.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    The Consolidated B24 Liberator was the most produced aircraft of WWII over 18,000 built, flew in all theaters of combat. Could carry more bombs, fly faster and farther than the Boeing B17 Flying Fortress.

The 2nd Air Division B24's of the Mighty 8th Air Force flew missions out of England's East Anglia along with the 1st and 3rd's B17's. The 15th Air Forces Liberators out of North Africa then Italy carried the war to the Reich in occupied Europe.

Jimmy Stewart the pilot-actor flew over 10 missions ( and they weren't milk runs either) in the B24's of the 445th Bomb Group Heavy, and was threatened with being busted by his superiors if he didn't stop and take a desk job.

The B24's D's of the Aleutian Campaign were used to deliver bombs to the Japanese on the islands of Attu and Kiska, and stopped the German U Boat gap in the North Atlantic because of their "long legs", superior range and load capabilities.

The American people owe a lot to Willow Run , the B24, and the men and women that built them and the crews that flew them into harms way!
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast