Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 50-90 Sharps

WHEWWW now that WILL kick. just put 140 grains 1 or 2f black under a 600 grain 50 cal thumper and hang on my friend.

Boolit Master
    I shoot 100 grs of 1F and the Lyman 515142- 500 gr bullet,card wad,Fed 210 primer. Excellent accuracy with that load and bullet.
    To me the Sharps and especially the .50/90 should be shot with black powder.
    Last edited by Clay M; 09-04-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If I remember correctly, the 50-90 Sharps is practically the same as the 50-100/50-110 Winchester. I can tell you that pushing a 450gr bullet past about 1600fps in an 1886 full dress rifle will wear on you fast. After a bench session with my 50-100-450 and about a dozen shots I feel like I've gone a couple rounds with a golden gloves boxer. Wearing a headache so bad it's hard to see well.

Good Luck
    Ed

Boolit Master
    My Sharps weighs about eleven pounds , has a shotgun butt and a slow twist. It is actually very pleasant to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    There are a few smokeless loads available - you will find some on the Accurate Arms site and Lyman have some in their latest Cast Bullet Handbook. The loads are held to BP levels and FWIW the rifle used to develop the AA loads is made by C Sharp.

I use Lyman dies and the FLS die is very tight - even had it replaced by Lyman and it's still tight, but a bit less so now. I don't think there are any standardized chamber dimensions which is the problem. The chamber of my rifle (late model Win 1885 repro) is very tight and won't accept bullets over 511. Might have to invest in a custom neck size die. YMMV.

Its a nice calibre to play with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12