Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersPBcastco
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: $10 epoxy coat can it be done? lets find out

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyephil View Post
    Ok, I ordered some Powder Coat today from Powder buy the pound and I guess it's VHT tomorrow. I've never tried anything like that but have been casting for some time. I've had good luck with Lee 9mm 125 in a CZ clone with no leading using the 45/45/10 formula I found on this site. I've also had pretty good luck with my .40 with a couple of different Lee molds and the tumble lube.

I mostly shoot Bayou bullets in my .40 and talked to Donnie about buying coating from him when he first announced he would sell to the public. I just didn't want to jump in that deep at the time. I may continue buying most of my bullets from him for USPSA and IDPA use. But I've had lots of leading in my Colt Trooper III.357 Mag, I really just haven't had time to work out the issues with it. So I may try PC and VHT coated bullets for it. And I bought a 1984 Marlin in 357 recently so I can give them a try in it too. I also got involved in a couple of group buys on nice .30 cal and .22 cal molds. I'll certainly try this for my AR and maybe in my Marlin 30/30.

Just don't count on me getting results back on all of this very soon. Too much to do and not much time. But I'm looking forward to the experiment.
    If you use your powder as it is designed to be used.....IN AN ELECTROSTATIC GUN.....you WILL have excellent success. Every slug I coat is perfect. If you elect to use the (sort-of) dissolved powder method.....no guarantees! Get the $59 (-20% coupon) Harbor Freight gun system! You will NOT be sorry.

bangerjim

Going to pick up a can of VHT today and try it out. My local Advance auto parts stocks VHT epoxy black gloss and black satin. Has anyone tried the satin? I know with house paint, the more gloss, the more solids in the paint. I think I will start with the gloss. Gonna try these on 223 @ 2300 fps

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    If you use your powder as it is designed to be used.....IN AN ELECTROSTATIC GUN.....you WILL have excellent success. Every slug I coat is perfect. If you elect to use the (sort-of) dissolved powder method.....no guarantees! Get the $59 (-20% coupon) Harbor Freight gun system! You will NOT be sorry.

bangerjim
    I might do that at some point. I really don't want to go that route. More equipment in an already cramped space. Basically, I've been very happy with the Bayou bullets that have the Hi-Tek coating for my main pistol supply. I'm really looking for an alternative for calibers/bullet combo's that I don't shoot that much of. That and my AR. So, that's why the interest in this thread. I've been reading most of the alternate lube threads too. I wasn't sure if I bought the Hi-Tek from Donny that I'd use it before it went bad, that is unless I decided to cast all of my pistol bullets instead of buying a good portion of them. Then I run into the time component. Something that I never have enough of.

I will report my 1st results with this method. And so far I've not had great results. My coating isn't smooth at all. So I will proably just melt that batch back down. But I may have rushed the process. I didn't want to put too heavy of a coat on at any point and didn't. So they were dry to the touch just a couple of minutes after I turned them out of my bucket. Maybe I tumbled them too long. I baked them at 300 for 10 minutes with 3 coats. On my 30 cal the lube groove isn't coated, but hey, it's not being used with this process anyway.

But on a side note. I've been reading the alternate lube threads and there is toooooo much passion on each persons preferred way. People are zelots. I'm interested in trying a number of methods and picking out the best for me and my situation. I appreciate the info but some threads have turned into more flame wars than anything else. I'd like to be able to go to a thread about a method and be able to mostly read just about that. Bagerjim, I do have a question for you about PC with a gun, but I’ll post that on your thread so as to keep this one as much about VHT as possible.

Maybe we need a poll on alternate lubes and get some numbers to see what people are really doing. Traditional Lube, Alox Tumble, 45/45/10 Tumble, PC with gun, PC Piglet, Hi-Tech, Expoy, VHT, Other. Of course when doing that we should consider pistol vs rifle boolits because there is a difference.
    Last edited by blueeyephil; 08-29-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    bangerjim, I've been reading other threads and it looks like you have tried several other methods and settled on the PC with the gun. I think that's great. But what about those little .223 bullets. I just don't see how to make them work with the gun method. If anyone has been successful with that, I'd like to see their method. Mine are gas check design and they aren't going to want to stand up very well, they are so small. I'd like to be able to use them without the bother and expense of gas checks. If I can't then I'll probably just tumble lube them in 45/45/10 and put the check on and be done with it.
    I PC different GC'd cal's all the time.......223/30/45. You make a simple jig the GC section of the boolit goes in "snugly" (key point) and spray away. When you are done, just pop 'em out and press on the GC's on the bare lead bottoms. Easy.

Or don't use GC's....it is all up to if you are sub-sonic or not.

If you want the base coated, pour some acetone on a rag, put a little powder in a lid ( you can use different colors!), dab the base on the rag to wet it, tap it in the powder and rebake just laying on n/s foil. It forms a nice PC GC!! An idea a kind fellow on here shared a couple weeks ago~~~~~the meeting of minds!

It's all in the jig you use. Mine is just simple Al roof flashing with punched holes the size of the GC diameter. I use my set of HF gasket punches to pop a hole thru on a piece of wood. It leaves a nice hole with a little flange on the back. If the punch is too small, ream it a bit with a hand reamer. Cover the whole thing with n/s foil B4 pushing the boolits in and you have 'yer jig! I get anywhere from 50 to 70 slugs on a rack and 3 racks in the oven at once.

There are lot of great ideas on here for jigs..........from the very simple to the very complex involving welding and steel bending. Go with what you have success with. The above GC holder works for me!

bangerjim

Hey, bangerjim, I was editing my post and got called away and you answered my original. Didn't realize it and posted my edit. Anyway, thanks for the info. May just try that jig. I'm going to try this VHT and probably the PC in solution a time or two before I give up and join you. I just love the vast amount of info available on this forum.

Vendor Sponsor

each method has its little quarks..and benefits. You just have to choose what you like the best and go with it ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	80697
    These are coated with gorilla glue epoxy reduced with lacquer thinner lubed with MOS2, baked at 250 for 22 mins. I used ink from a bic pen for color. They work great!

Views:	384 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	80698

Views:	326 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	80699
    Last edited by Shotgundrums; 09-01-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgundrums View Post

Views:	399 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	80697
    These are coated with gorilla glue epoxy reduced with lacquer thinner lubed with MOS2, baked at 250 for 22 mins. I used ink from a bic pen for color. They work great!

Views:	384 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	80698

Views:	326 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	80699
    Another new idea! Love it.

Please post more details on application/mixing/coating technique.

Does the moly go in the mix or applied after??

And what results are you seeing on the range?

Anxiously awaiting your reply!

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    This is a process that works I perfected about a year ago when I couldn't get my hands on HI-TEK coating.
    I squeezed the epoxy syringe equal parts to fill a tablespoon. Scoop it into a mixing container, stir it and let it activate for 1 minute. Then, pour 2 tbsp of lacquer thinner and blend and mash until completely liquid. Pop the ink tube out of a cheap BIC stick pen and use about half of the ink. Mix again. Add about 1/2 tsp of MOS2 powder. Stir again.
    Repeat this process for each coat! The pot life VERY short. I use this volume to coat about 275 200gr 45 swc. 300ish 158gr 38s. Pour onto mesh to let dry to touch. Bullets shouldn't touch each other or they'll stick together. Pop in the oven. Cook at 250 for 22 mins. Don't cook at higher temp for shorter period; the color will bleed away.
    Adjust this mixture for bullet type and quantity as needed... This process works best with LACQUER thinner than acetone. The coating flows with the bullet's malleability and finish is far better. I've pushed these through my SW686p 6" bbl at high 1200's low1300's with zero leading and accuracy was fantastic.

The VHT epoxy is not working for me. No matter how well I prep or even follow instructions on the can, it doesn't adhere that well.It always scratches off through the sizer. So far nothing comes close to PC........ Yet.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a great way to powder coat bullets without the gun or solvents.
    -drop your bullets into soapy water {(dawn dish soap or equiv)Adjust your soapy water so that when the bullets dry there's a slight viscous feeling to the surface}.Let bullets dry on mesh. Roll the bullets in a generous amount of PC. Fish them out and stand base down on cookie sheet or whatever... Cook as usual...repeat two more time then size
    Play time-GO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgundrums View Post
    I've got a great way to powder coat bullets without the gun or solvents.
    -drop your bullets into soapy water {(dawn dish soap or equiv)Adjust your soapy water so that when the bullets dry there's a slight viscous feeling to the surface}.Let bullets dry on mesh. Roll the bullets in a generous amount of PC. Fish them out and stand base down on cookie sheet or whatever... Cook as usual...repeat two more time then size
    Play time-GO!!
    Any pics? Vids?

Boolit Buddy
    Lol unfortunately no. I'm sorry. This does work. But I took off with the epoxy because I wanted to infuse a 'lube for magnum rounds like 44, 357. But...for 9mm or 45...40 it works great. I never did try pc bullets in magnums.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastglock View Post
    The VHT epoxy is not working for me. No matter how well I prep or even follow instructions on the can, it doesn't adhere that well.It always scratches off through the sizer. So far nothing comes close to PC........ Yet.
    HOLD THE PRESSES!.........!

I picked up a can of the VHT stuff at an auto store after church today and tried it on 12ea) 45cal slugs. Put them on plain foil....spayed on to get a good even coat of the gloss black.......baked in a preheated toaster oven for 12 min @ 375F. Let them cool in the oven to about 170F and took them out. Let them cool for aboout an hour. VERY HARD.... will not fingernail off. They DID pass the size die witout any problems! Shooting/leading is another thing. I will let them cure for about a week B4 loading and heading to the range.

Did NO prep other than sparying it on newly dropped boolits.

The Rustoleum apliance stuff did NOT work at all. There is something much MUCH different about the VHT....it even smells different when it cooks.

Now I need to find an auto store with other colors than flat and gloss black!

Bangerjim

I tried the tumbled VHT and didn't like the looks at all. I didn't get a smooth coat at all and would wipe off with lacquer thinner. So I've been experimenting with piglet pc. I determined while doing that my oven wasn't getting hot enough. So that might have been part of the problem with VHT. I may try spraying some with VHT. Interested in the soap method too.... gotta read about that again. Sounds like if you could do anything to get them tacky, you could drop in a baggie, shake with some PC and then bake. Maybe a little white glue and water? I'm going to try that! I don't like the smell of lacquer thinner.

It's Shake and Bake, and I helped... lol
    Last edited by blueeyephil; 09-02-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I tried the tumbled VHT and didn't like the looks at all. I didn't get a smooth coat at all and would wipe off with lacquer thinner. So I've been experimenting with piglet pc. I determined while doing that my oven wasn't getting hot enough. So that might have been part of the problem with VHT. I may try spraying some with VHT. Interested in the soap method too.... gotta read about that again. Sounds like if you could do anything to get them tacky, you could drop in a baggie with some PC and then bake. Maybe a little white glue and water? I'm going to try that! I don't like the smell of lacquer thinner.

I did NOT tumble anything! Why spray it in a tub and let it slop on? Just spray it on the boolits like it was designed to do. So far, the smoothest and best looking finishes I personally have got and have seen on here are gun-coated PC and this sprayed-on-the-boolit VHT. All the tumble coatings I have done and seen are not that smooth and exhibit thin spots, lay spots, uneven coatings and lumps. But if they shoot good and prevent leading........that works for any of us!

I was amazed how hard and smooth the SINGLE sprayed-on coat was. But the test will be in a couple days when I pound a couple flat and then shoot some down range.

I use one of those $24 (on sale) Harbor Freight laser temp guns to check the oven temps. It is much more accurate than the cheeeeep temp control they put in those toaster ovens.

bangerjim

Can I ask why you feel the need to let it cure for a week? even after baking in the oven? Im going to drop some boolits today and spray/bake them and shoot them tomorrow if all goes well... Is this a bad idea??
    Actively looking for anything SKS/7.62x39 related. PM me!

Boolit Grand Master
    They ones I coated were new cast. The bnh will change as the new boolits age. Prove it to youself. Check some fresh ones. Then check them 3-4 days later. They will be harder.....if you are using a good mix. Hard lead alloys do that. I always cast up several hundred and let them become stable before shooting. According to studies done and listed here, the hardness will continue to change for up to several months! WOW! I think there is some data on the www.LASC.US links.

Also, since cooking them got the temps back up in the boolits, the bhn is probably on the move again!

And besides, any liquid-based paint/coating will have residual softness until all the volatiles are totally gone, which can take several days, even if baked. PC is ready as soon as they cool from what I have seen, but I have never shot them that soon. I just like to give them time to settle down. Have never had ANY leading problems with my "wait a bit" method!

More power to you if you can shoot regularly! I just don't have the time. And I cannot just go out in my back yard and pop off a few test rounds as many of the guys on here can do. Living in town has it's benefits................ and drawbacks.

Good luck. Let us know how your fresh shoots do.

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I think shooters were Alchemist in past lives. Epoxy coated swords? LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    I think shooters were Alchemist in past lives. Epoxy coated swords? LOL
    That's funny.
    Ill snap pics of the PC process today.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast