Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: $10 epoxy coat can it be done? lets find out

Boolit Master
    You're thinking of the KTWs, which were green.

The Black Talons of ill repute were indeed black. I still have some in 9mm, although I don't know where the box is... one day it might be worth something to a collector! Even if SXTs are pretty much the Same Xact Thing...

Boolit Bub
    bangerjim,
    I had the same problem with the rustoleum stuff I tried last night, I put them back in the pot, but the rustoleum stuff did not burn in the pot, I spooned it out, I will use the black from now on, I shot those, I know it works.

Boolit Bub
    im going to try this stuff next.

http://www.seymourpaint.com/green_rebar_epoxy.html

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Azshooter2013 View Post
    bangerjim,
    I had the same problem with the rustoleum stuff I tried last night, I put them back in the pot, but the rustoleum stuff did not burn in the pot, I spooned it out, I will use the black from now on, I shot those, I know it works.
    Darn, I jumped the gun and bought the rustoleum along with the VHT. I thought it passed the smash test.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Bub
    It did for me twice, but since then, not so much, im not sure what I did different from the first 2 times with the rustoleum stuff. Guess ill keep trying to figure it out.

In Remembrance

yeah, so i tried the spray on Rust-o-leum white, thinking it might be different than the brush on. Scrapes off easily w a fingernail.

I will wait 7 days for a full cure then try the scrape and smash tests again.

Scraping was definitely harder w the paint on, but still not fingernail resistant. Will smash them (the paint on type) tonight and see.

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

I am wondering what is the point of all this extra work. Why are we painting lead boolits and then baking them? Do they shoot better? Lead less? Or is it just to make them look cool? Somebody enlighten me please............
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    I am wondering what is the point of all this extra work. Why are we painting lead boolits and then baking them? Do they shoot better? Lead less? Or is it just to make them look cool? Somebody enlighten me please............
    It can be faster for some. Also, you can use softer alloys and don't have to be so concerned about exact sizing and still avoid leading problems. The different color bullets can be pretty cool looking.
    I like it because its just another new thing to do.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    I HATE SMOKE! ! ! I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge type stuff. Clouds in front of me distract me.

Is the VHT a one use product? I am under the impression that epoxy paint is mixed and must be used before it hardens. I'm very interested in trying it but not if it's once or twice and done.

Boolit Buddy
    VHT is premixed and is good for as many uses as you can get from the can.

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Boolit Mold
    Hey all. Post # 2!
    Just stopped at auto zone on the way home from work and bought the two cans they had for $15 and change. The guy asked what I was using it for " 'cause he heard good things about it" and I reluctantly spewed out the boolit coating speech. He said, "yea, that's why the store manager buys all of that we get in".
    Who in the Brownstown/Flat Rock area of Michigan that's the store manager of the auto zone is a caster/loader?
    BTW, I'm the ultimate noob at casting and you guys are a true inspiration. You're making me spend a lot of money on everything from lead to molds to antique cast iron muffin pans. My wife will probably seek out and kill every one of you.
    If you live long enough, I hope to post up some of my own tests with the coatings and be a true contributor to this site so you can see how you've helped me.
    Thanks.

Boolit Buddy

Wow! Great info. Fingers crossed.

Banned

"im going to try this stuff next."

I applaud your experimentation/testing. If nothing else, it appears that VHT is a winner and possibly the Seymour green rebar epoxy. A single part epoxy in a can for a fraction of the cost is a definite advance. We just need to name the VHT process after you. "AZ-Coat" or "AZ-VHT" or whatever works for you.

Good job Azshooter, this is readily available, low cost, and the lower cook temp should help retain bhn. Have you done the acetone wipe test with the VHT? I noticed that it passed the smash test, but the wipe test seems to be equally important. I have had several different attempts with piglet and Klass Kote that would pass the smash but not the wipe.

Boolit Bub
    Yes the vht did pass acetone wipe after baking. I think I mentioned it early in the thread.

Boolit Bub
    I dont need anything named after me, its just something fun to do in my spare time, thanks for the thought though.

Ok, I ordered some Powder Coat today from Powder buy the pound and I guess it's VHT tomorrow. I've never tried anything like that but have been casting for some time. I've had good luck with Lee 9mm 125 in a CZ clone with no leading using the 45/45/10 formula I found on this site. I've also had pretty good luck with my .40 with a couple of different Lee molds and the tumble lube.

I mostly shoot Bayou bullets in my .40 and talked to Donnie about buying coating from him when he first announced he would sell to the public. I just didn't want to jump in that deep at the time. I may continue buying most of my bullets from him for USPSA and IDPA use. But I've had lots of leading in my Colt Trooper III.357 Mag, I really just haven't had time to work out the issues with it. So I may try PC and VHT coated bullets for it. And I bought a 1984 Marlin in 357 recently so I can give them a try in it too. I also got involved in a couple of group buys on nice .30 cal and .22 cal molds. I'll certainly try this for my AR and maybe in my Marlin 30/30.

Just don't count on me getting results back on all of this very soon. Too much to do and not much time. But I'm looking forward to the experiment.

Boolit Bub
    ok I just did one more qwick test on the vht coating, not that it means much but I thought I would try heating the coated bullet with a torch to see if the coating would burn before the lead melted, and well you guys can be the judge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vht coating burn 3.jpg 
Views:	797 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	80345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vht coating burn 2.jpg 
Views:	780 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	80344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vht coating burn.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	80343

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Azshooter2013 View Post
    ok I just did one more qwick test on the vht coating, not that it means much but I thought I would try heating the coated bullet with a torch to see if the coating would burn before the lead melted, and well you guys can be the judge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vht coating burn 3.jpg 
Views:	797 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	80345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vht coating burn 2.jpg 
Views:	780 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	80344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vht coating burn.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	80343
    That is Awsome..! I have a can of black VHT and my white VHT should be in tomorrow. I'll be joining the ranks of the testers soon.

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast