Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything PBcastco
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: $10 epoxy coat can it be done? lets find out

Hurry home! I think there is just a bit of interest here.

Don't guess you recovered any bullets to see what they looked like afterwards?

Also what about the smell? I shoot Bayous and get frequent comments about the smell.

Boolit Bub
    here it is, don't knock it till you try it. the coating gets as hard as the hi tek coating if applied in the same fashion. Its VHT epoxy paint. not the caliper paint, I did try that for grins, it did not work
    its 8.99 at autozone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	 bullet coating.jpg 
Views:	1163 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	80071

I was un able to retrieve any fired bullets but I did spend some time today making a sand catch to do that next time.

Boolit Bub
    here is how I applied it

1. spray just a little bit in the mixing tube. I just sprayed it until I saw a tiny pool of paint.
    2. put in 200 9mm 124gr tc boolits, and do the hippy hippy shakes until they start to stick.
    3. put them on the screen and let them dry, drying times may vary but in my 120 degree garage it took about 10 minutes.
    4. oven bake on 300 for 10 minutes.
    5. repeat
    6. repeat

Banned

Well there you have it. Seems like there may be a few epoxy paint candidates out there that will avoid the price gouging of some products. Have to try it out. $8.27 with free shipping from Amazon Prime. Way less than a $1.00 an ounce. Checked it out, and there is high praise for it for many applications by users. Thanks for doing us all a favor and testing it out.
    Last edited by jmort; 08-24-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Boolit Bub
    since I was confident that the coating worked great, I thought..... yea I know thinking is bad.... but

I wanted to see what other kinds of epoxy paint would work as good, so I made a trip over to my local home depot, where they had white appliance epoxy, the msds on it was exactly as the epoxy paint from autozone, so what the hell right? then thing again, I wanted to see if I could change the color from white to.... we'll try green, then purple. so I went to my local Albertsons and bought food coloring! now I know what you are thinking, but I did change the color, sort of, lets just say anyone want easter eggs?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	happy easter.jpg 
Views:	778 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	80073

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Is that epoxy water based??????

Food grade coloring will not mix with hydrocarbon-based paint! And will not even bond with latex paint either! Believe me I tried it many years ago. The coloring just bleeds out of the paint when it dries.

But the AutoZone stuff looks interesting. Even for non-boolit coating on tools and the such.

bangerjim

Boolit Bub
    here is a short little video of me resizing my Easter eggs, no lube, and barely any pressure needed

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/wayhijhw0339adm/qJyux20T1W

Boolit Bub
    the white stuff is really untested, I was just messing around, but I do believe its an oil base epoxy, and it did change the color sort of, but the spots are baked in and don't rub off, also they did pass the smash test and the wipe with acetone. went through the resizer nice too, but I did not shoot the easter eggs, only the black 9mms

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Well there you have it. Seems like there may be a few epoxy paint candidates out there that will avoid the price gouging of some products. Have to try it out. $8.27 with free shipping from Amazon Prime. Way less than a $1.00 an ounce. Checked it out, and there is high praise for it for many applications by users. Thanks for doing us all a favor and testing it out.
    6.99$ with prime if you can stand gloss black!

Banned

"6.99$ with prime if you can stand gloss black!"

For me, I'd pay the extra $1.28 to avoid the gloss.

Banned

"...anyone want Easter eggs?"

Like the looks of those. While waiting for you to get us the big "reveal" I saw some white epoxy appliance paint from Rustoleum that is inexpensive, I assume that may be what your Easter eggs are coated with. The pigment/food coloring idea is innovative as well as everything else you are trying. Good work.

Boolit Bub
    yep, that's it, at home depot, I think it was 3.49+ tax, not to much, but I was trying for a green bullet, I missed the mark on the green, but they do look interesting.

Boolit Bub
    oh, and I kind of like the gloss, but im funny that way, it must be the heat.

Boolit Master
    This is great info. Well done.

What brand is the appliance epoxy?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

What's wrong with gloss? I think the gloss makes the boolit size easier for some reason. ......

Maybe it's just me ?

In Remembrance

i TRIED THE WHITE RUST-OLEUM BRAND AND IT DIDNT WORK. SURE IT PAINTED A BULLET THAT IS STUCK TO THE LEAD, BUT IT FAILED THE SMASH W HAMMER TEST: FLAKED RIGHT OFF,
    DID NOT HOLD UP NEAR AS good as in this pic.
    sorry abt the all caps,
    C-Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-29%2019_33_42.jpg 
Views:	7862 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	80087

Quote Originally Posted by Azshooter2013 View Post
    the white stuff is really untested, I was just messing around, but I do believe its an oil base epoxy, and it did change the color sort of, but the spots are baked in and don't rub off, also they did pass the smash test and the wipe with acetone. went through the resizer nice too, but I did not shoot the easter eggs, only the black 9mms
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

here is how I applied it

1. spray just a little bit in the mixing tube. I just sprayed it until I saw a tiny pool of paint.
    2. put in 200 9mm 124gr tc boolits, and do the hippy hippy shakes until they start to stick.
    3. put them on the screen and let them dry, drying times may vary but in my 120 degree garage it took about 10 minutes.
    5. repeat
    6. repeat
    Sounds like the next test is to see if just two coats would work. Sounds like a trip to Meijers in in my future!

I've not been happy with Rustolium brand stuff for several years. Hope you can test this in rifle.
    Whatever!

Why bake it? says no curing necessary on the website. Just curious. If I can leave out baking, I'm a happy camper.

Boolit Bub
    Well, on the vht epoxy directions on the can it says to bake for faster curing, the appliance epoxy does not say to bake it allthough both are basically the same so I just went ahead and did the bake on the white stuff too. I dont think it is rustoleum, its a different brand, ill upload a pic of it in a bit along with another smash test on the easter eggs

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast