Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: $10 epoxy coat can it be done? lets find out

Boolit Buddy

Very interesting thread.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Thank you all for the hard work. I will follow this thread closely.

Boolit Master
    Made some last night in .309 .379 and .460. Try them in 7 days.

Boolit Bub
    I'm new to casting and still gathering materials and tools. I am certain I am going to start with PC or Epoxy coating and skip the lube. Thanks for all the great info!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaus View Post
    I'm new to casting and still gathering materials and tools. I am certain I am going to start with PC or Epoxy coating and skip the lube. Thanks for all the great info!

Welcome!

There is tons of info on here. Take the time to read ALL the stickys......lots of info!

My standard is ESPC, but many are using dry coating. I have not been happy with the finish and evenness, but give it try and judge for yourself.

Again, welcome to the habit!

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirAIG View Post
    Please reference/explain this claimed possibility that PC Boolits may cause bore erosion issues. PC is plastic. I cannot possibly see how that would cause erosion/wear anymore than jacketed/lead Boolits at that point.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...h-PD-d-bullets

I just reported what I read. Lot's of people have opinions. I have them too.

But to comment on your opinion I do not think lead is going to wear out barrel unless you lead it up and get aggressive trying to get it clean. But 60-70,000 rounds may not be much of a test.
    Last edited by dverna; 01-21-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Boolit Master

Tractor Supply has the applince spray epoxy less than $4.00,I have used on metals but not boolits,It may work?
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    Tractor Supply has the applince spray epoxy less than $4.00,I have used on metals but not boolits,It may work?
    It gets relatively hard .......eventually. I used Rustoleum and baked it 250F for 20 min. Still did not firm up for several days. If you are in no hurry, will probably work. For $4, try it. There is always a do-over in the casting pot!!!!!!

Check the can for any baking info. Most epoxys need to bake to form the molecular bonds.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I tried this, results for me were unsatisfactory. 1 coat applied per instructions on can, another coat a week later. every week i check them and I'm still not satisfied. I will remelt the bullets I tried.

It was on newly cast bullets. I could hammer them with a little flaking, but my fingernail took the coating off real easy each time I tested it over the weeks. They may eventually cure but this is not a system that I will enjoy doing long term, hoping the es gun will be what I need.

I wanted to thank you for thinking outside the box though. all these ideas, even the ones that don't work for me personally only serve to enrich our hobby and increase our options.

Boolit Master
    Dang, I ordered a can of the VHT epoxy paint for $8.99 from Amazon Prime (free shipping) yesterday and UPS just now beeped horn It was overnight expressed here to AZ, now that is service.

Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    I tried this, results for me were unsatisfactory. 1 coat applied per instructions on can, another coat a week later. every week i check them and I'm still not satisfied. I will remelt the bullets I tried.

It was on newly cast bullets. I could hammer them with a little flaking, but my fingernail took the coating off real easy each time I tested it over the weeks. They may eventually cure but this is not a system that I will enjoy doing long term, hoping the es gun will be what I need.

I wanted to thank you for thinking outside the box though. all these ideas, even the ones that don't work for me personally only serve to enrich our hobby and increase our options.
    The epoxy coatings need to be baked. There is no way around it. I shot 500-750 ends of VHT coated Boolits before moving to an ES PC method
    Actively looking for anything SKS/7.62x39 related. PM me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Azshooter2013 View Post
    Well, on the vht epoxy directions on the can it says to bake for faster curing,...
    Where on the can did you read that? I just went all over the VHT can with magnifying glass and found nothing about baking?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    Wow... I like simple, and this thread really got me going...

I also DON'T like all the smoke that comes from shooting PB boolits... I know, 99% of casters say "you don' need no stinkin' gas check on 38's or 45's"... I still hate the cloud in front of my muzzle when I pull the trigger, especially indoors... So I've been trying Powder Coating, using a Sears electric PC kit, with marginal success... Gotta be a better way!! And this may be it...

I just drilled some holes in a scrap board to stand up some boolits, tip down, 'cuz I like to cover the base instead of using a Gas Check... Kinda makes 'em look like the old Winchester Silver Tips, doesn't it??!! Sprayed a coat, let air dry, spray another coat, air dry and bake... Toaster oven was set at 350 deg, but not certain what the real temp was... let 'em bake 10-15 minutes....

Oh yeah... this is the VHT 'epoxy' paint from the auto store...

Attachment 80961
    That looks good, thanks for your post. I will drill some hard wood boards for spraying the boolits. But I also have some pieces of aluminum plate, think I will drill one side for a certain size boolit, then flip over and drill the other side for another size. Then use the drilled aluminum plates for the baking thingy with the coated boolits standing upright to avoid sticking together and etc..

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    Where on the can did you read that? I just went all over the VHT can with magnifying glass and found nothing about baking?
    Keep in mind there are numerous types of the VHT brand of coatings. The ones that work pretty well for us are available from your local Auto Zone, Checker, etc. It is hi-temp engine epoxy and states on the can that a hi-temp bake is needed to form the bond. The bake can be either a real bake (which we do), or running the engine to temp for a period of time - which what the stuff was originally designed for.

Sounds like you may have a version of VHT that is not the hi-temp stuff. I have 2 cans of it. It will not get as hard and takes much longer to cure. Check out their website for all the info on the different variations they have.

The only one I have found here in the PHX auto stores is the gloss black. They do make a white according to their site. As I said above, it does eventually get hard after baking, but PC hardens in 10 minutes (when cool). No additional time required for curing/drying.

And VHT is extremely expensive as opposed to PC'ing.

Have fun coating!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    The can I have is exactly the same as the one posted by OP, including 250 f on the front label. the calipers Most all the high temp stuff is not just epoxy, but contains ceramic. Most other epoxy coatings show temps as N/A.
    Go here to read about all VHT products. http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/epoxypaint/

VHT EPOXY ALL WEATHER PAINT
    VHT Epoxy Paint is a one-step epoxy coating, which does not require the use of a primer. It has been formulated to give the appearance and durability of a baked-on finish. It provides a porcelain-like finish that is chemical, corrosion, rust and salt resistant.

Temperature: 250°F (121°C)

Applications: Suspension, Kick Panels, Tools

Finish: Gloss and Satin

Dry Time: Dries to the touch in 30 mins. Dries thoroughly overnight. No curing required.

Coating System
    VHT provides a multi-high performance coating system for the ultimate in protection and quality. This system includes surface preparation and Epoxy Paint.

Prep SP445 Prep Spray
    Coat SPXXX Epoxy Color
    Last edited by Hang Fire; 01-30-2014 at 03:49 PM.

The can I have is exactly the same as the one posted by OP, including 250 f on the front label. the calipers Most all the high temp stuff is not just epoxy, but contains ceramic. Most other epoxy coatings show temps as N/A.
    Go here to read about all VHT products. http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/epoxypaint/

VHT EPOXY ALL WEATHER PAINT
    VHT Epoxy Paint is a one-step epoxy coating, which does not require the use of a primer. It has been formulated to give the appearance and durability of a baked-on finish. It provides a porcelain-like finish that is chemical, corrosion, rust and salt resistant.

Temperature: 250°F (121°C)

Applications: Suspension, Kick Panels, Tools

Finish: Gloss and Satin

Dry Time: Dries to the touch in 30 mins. Dries thoroughly overnight. No curing required.

Coating System
    VHT provides a multi-high performance coating system for the ultimate in protection and quality. This system includes surface preparation and Epoxy Paint.

Prep SP445 Prep Spray
    Coat SPXXX Epoxy Color
    Not trying to be rude, but everyone here has baked VHT will good success. Why not just try it? Who cares what it says on the can.
    Actively looking for anything SKS/7.62x39 related. PM me!

I don't know what the temperature is like where you are using it... In cold weather it chipped and flaked for me. Baking or not didn't matter.
    The can I got from the Amazon link earlier in the thread had no instructions about baking.
    I did not bake the first batch. When they flaked I did another with baking. It was no better.

It does not hold up in cold temps.
    Last edited by HNSB; 01-31-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirAIG View Post
    Not trying to be rude, but everyone here has baked VHT will good success. Why not just try it? Who cares what it says on the can.
    Everyone? Not trying to be rude, but after reading all the threads, that is quite an inaccurate blanket statement.

Boolit Grand Master
    Everyone? Not trying to be rude, but after reading all the threads, that is quite an inaccurate blanket statement.
    Here on the forum we share our successes and failures alike on these new techniques. I have lots of both! This is really the only place to go that I know of with this vast knowledge available.....FOR FREE!

When people report on what works for them, I generally use it and save myself time, money, and frustration. If you wish to experiment around, feel free. Just please let us know what you find out if it differs from the many other reports.

have fun coating and shooting!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I just sized mine and the results of no bake were pretty iffy. Epoxy was cleaned off part of any band that was sized. I had one the mold wasnt fully closed on so was bigger. That one everything came out siver and shiny. I waited over two weeks for cure.

I still have my .379 adn .459 boolits to size, I'll bake those before. Give it a go..if it doesnt work I'll use the paint on auto parts like I'm suposed to.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast