MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionPBcastcoRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: $10 epoxy coat can it be done? lets find out

Boolit Bub

$10 epoxy coat can it be done? lets find out

I want to start by saying that I have read all of the threads related to this subject. iv been powder coating my bullets with great success, but it is time consuming and I have been looking for a better or faster if you will and cheaper way to coat and shoot.
    heres what iv come up with:

I took info from the hi tech instructions along with the piglet method and class kote, weiderlader, and any other thread that I thought could help me.

Now we all have been doing the hippy hippy shakes with our bullets in the bucket, for me its a butter tub, and the challenges seen to be in my opnion 1. cost, the epoxy paint is expensive because you cant just by a little of it, you have to get it by the gallon. 2. even coating, we all have been coating with our favorite coating method, but as far as I can tell the powder coat method gives great even coats.

I bought some hi tech from bayou bullets, but I have loaded hi tech coated bullets before with great success, so I have tried to get the most for my money and have great looking bullets to, its a tough task.
    but what if I told you that the epoxy coating that iv been trying is readily avalible at most parts stores for under 10 bucks?
    the pictures that I post are of my under 10 buck coating, that is tumble lubed on the bullet and baked for 10 minutes at 300 degrees three times, and based on the smash test that we all like to see, it seems to be a good coating.

these are coated with the under 10 buck coating, and went through the resizer with ease
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black bullets.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	79825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb 2.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	79826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb 3.jpg 
Views:	593 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	79827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb 4.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	79828

as you can see I did the smash test and no flaking at all. now I have not shot any yet but ill be shooting them tomorrow to see how they work. wouldent it be great if we could just run out to the parts house and pick up some bullet coating for under 10? I know your asking what is it, well it might not hold up when fired, so I don't want to say just yet, but ill post good or bad about it after shooting.

Banned

You will make many people happy and a couple/few people cry like stuck pigs. I would be happy.

Ill be watching this , thanks

Do some mag dumps .. see if the coating can withstand the heat.

Boolit Bub
    Thats exactly what I had planed.

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    If you're tumbling and baking three times, what's the dif?
    For $36 in hi-tek, you can coat at least 12,000 bullets. How far does a can of your under 10 buck epoxy go?
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Boolit Bub
    Whats the difference? Well as far as I can tell there are 3.
    1st is cost. That half a liter of hi tech is not $36, its $36 + shipping, so for me it cost $47. The bottle of stuff I got here locally was $9 with tax, and its the same volume of coating. 2nd im still waiting for my hi tech green to come in, the stuff I got locally I left the store with.and 3rd, well I have to upload a pic so you can see the difference. But its all mute if it leads my barrel when fired.

Boolit Buddy
    Anxiously awaiting details and results!!

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Boolit Bub
    Well, I should have both details and results, good or bad tomorrow.

Banned

"the epoxy paint is expensive because you cant just by a little of it, you have to get it by the gallon."

Hi-Tek
    1 Liter Kit $68.00 + FedEx shipping - So this cost north of $2.50 per ounce (Liter is a little less than 34 ounces)

Not sure how much Hi-Tek product you get for $36.00 as Buyou Bullets does not list it. Assuming $47.00 as noted then $2.76 an ounce delivered.

Klass Kote
    32 ounce "Kit" $49.80 + shipping - So this costs north of $1.75 per ounce

So you don't have to buy a gallon but two part epoxy ain't cheap.

"Well, I should have both details and results, good or bad tomorrow."

Good - looking forward to it. If it works, as I said, there will be many happy shooters and a couple/few people crying like stuck pigs.
    Last edited by jmort; 08-21-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    So please tell us the brand of the stuff you are using! And where in PHX you are getting it.

There a lot of us desert rats on this forum.

I am always looking for "something new and exciting".

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    You using caliper paint for this? It should work just fine. I think it is about the same as class kote epoxy paint to be honest with you.

Boolit Bub
    No, its not caliper paint, although I did see some caliper paint by g2 that might work just as good. Its a one part epoxy I guess, it has hardener and the paint in one, the baking helps to cure it, once cured it seems to be just as hard as the powder coat. Ill let everyone know what it is after I shoot it, like I said it might not work, but if it does it would be cheaper and you can coat just about as much.

Boolit Bub
    Yea, Donni let me buy a half a liter, so I could try it out. $36 + $11 for shipping.

Got my interest?? Subscribed!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Please report! I am very interested.

subscribed....

ditto-subscribed
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Bub
    Ok, range report, the good the bad and the ugly.

Yesterday I loaded up a couple hundred of the black bullits using the 10 buck coating, then I went out to my testing range, for you dessert rats, its flatiron mountain, just off i10 &335 ave, there is not really any place to tape a target to out there, but thats usually ok as I have made my own target stand out of pvc pipe. However I was unable to use said target stand, because of the last trip out there with my daughter. I was teaching her to shoot, and that she did, she shot the poles and not the target, and I have not had time to repair it yet. So this report will just be about how the coating worked.

Lets get into it.
    I shot 200 rounds of 9mm ammo coated with 10 buck coating, from my g19,, I was looking for any residue from the coating, or any leading at all. I did a couple mag dumps, and after 200 rounds, the barrel was still bright and shinny. Now I did try to take some pics of the barrel but my phone would not focus good enough to see anything. Ill up load pics in a while of the product that I used. Feel free to ask any questions you like, but ill leave you with this, the coating after 200 rounds seemed to work as well as my powder coat bullets.

So, proof of concept?

Now, what was the product?

Boolit Bub
    As soon as I get home I'll post up the picture of the product.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast