Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My ongoing Scratch Built Jeep project RUNS!

Boolit Grand Master

Absolutely bodacious!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I haven't actually updated this thread for some time but I have been making progress slowly but surely.

I am now officially in the final assembly portion of this build.

I have temporarily shelved all my gun projects as it is difficult for me to concentrate on more than one project at a time and get good results. I really need to get this one up to the point where I can drive it as it has been 10 years since I started the project.

It is a "BIG" project to build a Jeep from scratch. Especially when you have to find every piece yourself. You have to pay for it too.

I have the body on the Jeep and am proceeding to attach all the piece parts to it in an order that won't require back tracking. This is somewhat time consuming as there is a lot of thought involved and I can also tell you that most of this thought has already occurred at one time or another during the last 10 years but has been forgotten. Got to remember all of it back and move forward.

Most recently I removed the leaking Injection Pump from the engine and sent it out for rebuild. When it comes back I will reinstall and re-fire the engine. Then it is a matter of bolting on previously mocked up parts and fabbing what is left.

Anyone wishing to see this whole build along with the pics can go here. I would put the pics up here but they only get dropped when I have to clean up my posts when I exceed my pic quota so they all get lost.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...he-Descrambler

This is a pretty long winded thread and covers my build from start to now along with literally hundreds of pictures.

You will have to sign up for the site which only takes a minute or so, in order to see the pics but I assure you it is worth it. Last I looked the Thread had nearly 118,000 views! The average time to read everything and fully understand what is going on is about 3 hours! I have detailed descriptions of all my fab and machine work, along with pics showing the whole process.

I wish this site would get rid of the picture restrictions as there is so much that can't be described with only words, but becomes clear for all to see with pictures.

Anyway all comments are welcome, but really, go look at the build. It is well beyond anything I have done here at Cast Boolits.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Does the Kubota V2203DI engine bolt up to the clutch & tranny?

Pics wont show unless registered .

Boolit Bub
    I will register and look. Thank you.

The engine is a Cummins 4BT3.9 at 105 hp. and 275 Ftlbs.

There have been a few guys on that site that have swapped in those little Kubota Reefer motors. I think someone makes and adapter to mate to a Jeep Trans/Flywheel. You want to adapt the engine to the Jeep flywheel so you could use the clutch and all the other Jeep piece parts.

I don't see the Kubota Motors being a viable swap for anything bigger than a Flat Fender. They are not turbo'd and that can limit performance greatly. There have been some guys who have even trubo'd them but this is a situation where if you just started with the right engine you wouldn't have to modify a marginal one to do something it wasn't designed to do.

I personally would use a VW Diesel in a Flatty. 90 Diesel HP would be fine in a light Jeep, and I have seen many Samurais with VW diesel conversions and they are pretty cool.

I am averaging 500+ hits a day on my thread at www.4BTSwaps.com come on over and sign up and look. There is some pretty neat stuff happening there.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    Those for domestic sales got the gas engine. Export versions got the diesel. You couldn't get a diesel here because of "emissions regulations".
    The Afghan Army and Police had Ford Rangers with diesels, running boards (er, the 4" tube version) and a roll bar / weapons mount. Amazing how much overloading they would take. Massively beaten, but still ran. Of course, the mechanics supporting Afghan security forces (maybe contractors as well?) would pull good parts off, "repair" with (supposedly) a new part, then resell the serviceable part on the black market.

Supposedly that's one reason why we started fielding the HMMV to the ANSF, though after seeing the goat rope to get fuel for the Rangers made me wonder on how they would support the MUCH heavier HMMV. Ever see folks racing the HMMV and the Ranger?
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Banned
    The Cummins 4BT is basically the 6BT with two cylinders missing! The 4BT is a fine choice for a Jeep and practically bulletproof.

Boolit Buddy
    Factory 6 cylinder engines in 80's cj5 and 7's only made 86hp and 127 lb ft of torque, its all about gear reduction ,that diesel engine should pull a jeep just fine.
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Cherry:: the Jeep inline 6's, 1973 on, were originally from the AMC Pacer. They were 258 ci 118 hp and I don't know the torque but around 200 fp was close.

My engine was from a Doritos Delivery Van. It is a common version of the engine which is available in HP ratings from 48 to 250 HP. Mine is 105 hp/275 fp. vs. 160hp/400fp for the 6bt in my Dodge truck. It is exactly a 6BT with two less cylinders, it is also exactly 2/3 the power. This engine will move my Jeep faster than my truck moves and that will be more than enough. This is diesel HP!,, and this engine compares almost directly to a 350 Chevy engine for power.

goto the website link above and see the build. Sign up and you can see the 400+ pictures. Lots going on there.

Randy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12