Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help understanding differences in damascus steels

Boolit Master

Help understanding differences in damascus steels

Hi guys.
    Sorry for the silly question, but I know little about knife steels and just recently discovered the Rockwell scale.
    I see these Damascus knives made out of Pakistan and india and am wondering....
    Is it just that no one knows what kind of steel they are made of?
    The handles look so pretty on the internet, I just cant believe they would put 50 bucks worth of material and work on a .50 cent blade.
    BUUUTTT.......
    I have been wrong before. That was in 1977 when I said I was gonna get that sucker that spanked my butt to get me to breathe. He died before I turned 5. But I aint giving up hope. Im kidding. Just a joke.
    Anyhow.. how do I know if I purchase a knife from even somewhere else, am I getting a good steel? (Steel, not steal or steele). Is there anything that can give me a hint looking at pictures? Just trying to learn before I spend any hard money.
    Thanks yall.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    There are a few metal/blade smiths hanging around the forum, so one's likely to take a stab at the question.

I have studied the historical side of this and have a few old representative blades from various parts of the world. The current market is literally flooded with all manner of modern blades from India, Pakistan and China to name just three. Good chance that most of the "Damascus" blades you see around are simply mass produced laminated steels of different alloys that show the layered pattern. Almost impossible to tell what each would be and could run A-Z. Quality will run from poor to very good. A real carp shoot.

Actually, the real Damascus steel was produced in the general area around Damascus- thus the name. It was traded to blade makers (Viking era) as far away as Scandinavia. The similar Wootz types came from India. If you look closely at an original ingot of either you will not see any layering. The layering is simply a product of the forging and folding process- no matter the origin of the steels or alloys. Currently, what is called "Damascus" is not Damascus or Wootz at all but merely a layering/folding of two or more different types of steel or iron of various alloys- as mentioned above.

Boolit Bub
    Hello,
    The wife and I were in Tennessee on New Years at Gatlinburg. I had never been, we went to the flea market. I found pure gold in a knife vendor. The beautiful knives of all types, fixed blades, folders, antlered handles, everything and priced well below what you would expect. Well, I looked over them knives, talked to the fellow, went back, thought it over, went back again.... the vender was selling me on the "Damascus steel" knives. Said this was his last batch at this price, etc., etc.

The words "if it is too good to be true" kept coming back into my head as I thought about buying half a dozen of these treasures. Well, I decided to wait and look into it. So, we get back to the condo and I take to googling. I found out that the knifes, and I can no longer remember the supposed manufacturer, however, sounded like a great ole company, the "Damascus steel", well, it is an acid etching and would wear off as you sharpen or otherwise clean off and wear the blade. The "good guy" vendor even told me that he had been a vendor for 20 years and he knew good knives. So, with that, I figured he was lying through his teeth or, is an idiot. I suspected lying through his teeth. I'm just glad I didn't buy them and feel like I was taken.

The steel could even be a lesser quality, however, the "Damascus steel" not even being real, just a finish, I could not go for that at all. This is just what I found when I googled that particular knife manufacturer. Great sounding name, made in China though and, a fake layering to boot. Buyer beware. Just my learning experience, YMMV of course.
    Best regards,
    George

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "A well-schooled electorate, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books, shall not be infringed".
    J. Neil Schulman

http://www.constitution.org/2ll/schol/2amd_grammar.htm

Damascus steel will consist of two or more different steels that are forged and folded many times together. Good dasmascus steel will consist of a high carbon steel such as 1095 as one of the steels and a low carbon steel such as 15N20 to give the contrasting pattern after being etched with a mild acid.
    The better grades of Damascus will be harden to around 57-58RC, this is where the high carbon steel comes into play to obtain that hardness for edge holding in the field.
    Most of the cheap damascus you see being offered for sale from China, middle East, can have just about any scrap steel in the make up and will be soft and not hold a very good edge. If the price is cheap, you can bet your last dollar the damascus steel is also cheap.
    A good quality knife maker will tell you what steel is used in the blade and will also state the hardness to insure your blade will hold it's edge while cutting.
    There is alot of imported so called "handmade custom damascus knives" being advertised for sale today that are made in some middle east village using any steel they can get their hands on and most will be 55rc or softer due to using low carbon steels. As usual most guys will fall for the cheap price and buy this so called "custom hand made knife" and think he is getting a bargain. The only one who got the bargain was the cheap knife dealer who payed that middle east villager 15 bucks for his custom hand made knife and sold it for 60 bucks to a un-informed buyer. Even the villager came out ahead as the 15 bucks he got is like 400 bucks to us in the U.S.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the heads up.
    I did buy a Svord folder, a Boker folder and a Cold Steel Recon Tanto II. Figured for now I will stay with reputable names.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Too bad, though. I really like some of the designs and as I said, some of the handles are just really gorgeous. I tell ya, if there was a way to know that the steel would be of good quality I would like to have a couple. But even at 20.00 a knife I am not one to throw good money away on bad rhetoric.
    Last edited by x101airborne; 08-21-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Short form... Real Damascus was a mix of iron and steel folded and welded together and the pattern came out when you etched the blade and the different metals etched at a different rate. At one time twist welded barrels were rated as stronger than lap welded because the folding and welding worked the impurities out of the metal. A damascus blade could be both sharp and tough. Modern Damascus depends on the maker ranging from cable damascus to real damascus froged and folded and welded from iron and steel and usually with a fine pattern. You get what you pay for and the cheap Parker Cutlery type is no better in blade quality than any other cheap blade. My buddy went to Bill Moran and learned to do real damascus and his blades alone cost me $100.00 each rough ground and are worth every penny. Unless you want something just for looks don't buy the cheap blades they won't stand up to hard use and will require constant resharpening.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Short form... Real Damascus was a mix of iron and steel folded and welded together and the pattern came out when you etched the blade and the different metals etched at a different rate. At one time twist welded barrels were rated as stronger than lap welded because the folding and welding worked the impurities out of the metal. A damascus blade could be both sharp and tough. Modern Damascus depends on the maker ranging from cable damascus to real damascus froged and folded and welded from iron and steel and usually with a fine pattern. You get what you pay for and the cheap Parker Cutlery type is no better in blade quality than any other cheap blade. My buddy went to Bill Moran and learned to do real damascus and his blades alone cost me $100.00 each rough ground and are worth every penny. Unless you want something just for looks don't buy the cheap blades they won't stand up to hard use and will require constant resharpening.
    I'm dumb as a brick about this subject matter. Have heard several people talk about "Alabama Damascus." Are their products made in the U.S.? Know nothing other than that they sell damascus.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    For currently produced pattern welded blades, the only way to be sure of quality is to know or be sure of the source and maker. There is a large disconnect in the usage of the term "Damascus". The common usage today usually has nothing to do with Damascus steel. Currently it is used generically to describe any pattern welded steel- where the source materials can be anything. In reality the current homogeneously smelted, non pattern welded, high quality steels are generally superior to those of the past including the true Damascus and Wootz steels.

To look at pics or find out about it, just do a google search for Damascus or Wootz steel. You'll note true Damascus/Wootz steel is usually grey in color, it is usually blotchy in appearance, sometimes shows pattern in the structure (tightly packed, squiggly figure) and sometimes has no visible figure at all.
    link to some images http://www.google.com/search?q=wootz...w=1057&bih=719

Boolit Grand Master

Real OLD damascus blades were superior FOR THAT TIME, but are not at all superior
    to our best non-laminated steels. If you like the look of a knife, and it is inexpensive,
    buy it. In my experience, only the very worst 10% of knives are made of stuff that
    is so bad as to be of little of no use. Will a $35 blade from a 3rd world country
    be any good? Impossible to tell. If the maker used an old truck spring, it might
    be a heck of a good knife if he got the heat treat anywhere near close to right. Even
    the very ordinary modern steels today are better than a king could have in
    1300-1600.

Laminated (modern steels, pattern welded in layers by folding) knives CAN be quite
    good, but many use very ordinary steels so they are mostly for looks. Again - if you LIKE
    the look and it is inexpensive - give it a try, it will always be pretty to your eye, and it
    might be a good tool, too.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 08-21-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Vendor Sponsor

+1 Bill..

(A little O/T so...)

I picked up a plain looking nice old butcher knife at a Lynchburg, VA flea market. It had been rained on, and instead of rusting, it was just a dark gray color. That's what caught my eye. I gave the seller $5 for the knife and took it home. Tried to sharpen it with a pull-thru tungsten carbide sharpener, O hell no it weren't having NO part of that! It almost ripped the jaws out of the sharpener! It took a super keen edge with a Lansky stone kit, and retained that edge through several seasons of butchering deer which is more than I can say for some very expensive custom made 440C knives I have.

A little research on the subject was in order.. The knife was made by Frontier Forge, in Japan, in the early 60s when the boom to import many things Japan made was in full swing. Like the current China invasion, but with a healthy dose of quality if you can imagine that. Later Frontier Forge knives and sets were Taiwan made.

In Japan, knife and sword making had been a precision art for hundreds and hundreds of years. Their knowledge of knifemaking metals is second to none even today. These knives are made basically from what we would now call "old world" steel and are still a very good and very overlooked value in a knife. In post-WWII Japan, the whole sword industry was shut down by the articles of surrender, and so these timely crafts were turned to making cutlery that was imported here in vast quantities.

They may not have the fancy handles or damascus patterned blades, but as far as the steel goes? Oh my.. Try to wreck one if you can. You will need a bench grinder or a torch at the very minimum.

gBrown; Alabama damascus is made in the U.S. Their damascus is unique to their factory in the pattern they use. They use top quality carbon steels in their product. One reason just their damascus blanks will cost you 80-200 dollars depending on size you order.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    gBrown; Alabama damascus is made in the U.S. Their damascus is unique to their factory in the pattern they use. They use top quality carbon steels in their product. One reason just their damascus blanks will cost you 80-200 dollars depending on size you order.
    Thank you sir. Just curious, have heard various people talk about knives and damascus. As said, dumb as a brick about the subject. Know of the brand name stuff, Buck, CRKT, etc., but not the "off the main drag" stuff.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone. I think this is going very well for a discussion. And, this is exactly what I would like to know.
    I am kind of on a quest. I want to find the very best knife steel / maker I can find. I have found a definite medium in the kits sold by Texas Knifemakers Supply in their cryo treated kits. One of their knives, wich I carry in my boot has butchered two donkeys and about 12 hogs without needing sharpening. In fact, it was a pain in the rear because it was too sharp at first and I could not get any feel out of the knife. It just cut. Right through hide, gut and all. Now don't get me wrong, this was not with the factory edge. This was with my edge and I used a 100 grit stone, a 220 grit stone, a 400 grit stone, a 800 grit stone and then razor stropped the edge to a mirror shine. And it took me about 4 days to do it. So with putting all blame on me this is a really great knife for 60 bucks. But I want one of those knives that you can whittle on a hickory stump all day and shave with it the next morning. I think I am looking for a unicorn but it gives me something to do.
    But DANG some of those handles on the import knives are nice looking.

Boolit Master

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient...ing-sword.html

The link above will will take you to a PBS program "Secrets of The Viking Sword". The episode is also available on Netflix. Ulfbehrt. The Japanese sword masters had nothing on the very few who knew how to make these. If you haven't seen this, prepare to be amazed.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Trey,

The next time you're in Houston I have some knives you need to see.

Regards,

Tony

Boolit Master
    WARNING- Blades can be addicting! Has something to do with all aspects in combination- the history, culture, science, craft, art, utility--- voila- hooked.

The Viking Sword program is pretty good but the part about and conclusions inferred comparing a Viking sword to a Japanese katana seemed a little over-cooked, like comparing apples to oranges.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 08-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Boolit Master

Comparing a Katana to the average Viking sword would definately be wrong. There is no comparison. The Japanese win hands down. Comparing a Katana to the Ulfbehrt however......
    In addition, the OP wanted to know about Damascus. There's some good information on Damascus, and metallurgy in general.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Thanks for warning me about getting hooked on knife collecting, but too late. I have a drawer full of knives and use them for different things. Some are specific purpose knives, some are general use knives and some are like my wife..... I catch you holding one you better be able to talk faster than 780 fps.

PM sent
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast