Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like Titewad?

I'm running it in my 38 rounds for cowboy action. 2.2grs behind a 125gr RNFP.

Plan on using the same load with a 105gr to even milder loads.

It's fairly clean burning and you can make it go a long way.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by donald duck View Post
    I purchased Tight Wad instead of tight group. Was not going to use in the flower beds so started with 2.2 grain in .38 and ended up loading a lot of it in .38 only. 2.3 to 2.4 grains in .38 148 grain wad cutter was fine. start with 2.0 to 2.2 and work up from there. Meters well. Have a RCBS Little Dandy with bushings 1 to 10. Don't throw it away!!

Remember............modern nitrocellulose gun powders we use do NOT make fertilizer.

Black powder (salt peter/sulfur/charcoal) does.

If anyone has nitro powder they are using for the garden.....send it to me! I will make fireworks out of it!

And I use TiteWad when I run out of my standards for plinking. VERY fast powder.

banger

The wadcutters I loaded shot great. Very accurate and very clean.
    I seat my wadcutters out a bit longer than normal. I crimp in the first lube groove instead of the crimp groove for a longer OAL.
    I also shoot them in a 357 mag so the load I use is quite safe in my revolver.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Their powder website now lists loads for hand guns using TiteWad. I do not believe it did before they updated it recently.

For light plinking loads, it works great!

banger

They only have one load listed on the site for 9mm and none at all for 38 special.
    I have just been limiting it to .3 grains less than Titegroup for the same weight boolit.
    It has worked well so far.

Boolit Mold
    OK here's where I'm at with Titewad curently. I really agree this is some clean burning stuff.

3.2gr behind a 148gr HBWC and a 4" .38spl barrel - 786fps 5 shot string had ~40fps range so pretty fair. 3.5gr is about the same speed, so I'm thinking this is about a limit for .38spl, I may do a little more investigation but it seems 3.2 or a little less is a nice target round.

Previously I had gotten 2.4gr in .32acp to run about 950fps with a 71gr FMJ bullet. I'm trying to get to the Euro police round at 185ft/lbs. SAAMI lists design pressure at 20.5kpsi, and CIP (the Euros) lists it at 23.2kPSI. It seems to get there I should be running about 1080 fps. I tried a load at 2.7gr and the average was 1128fps - too hot, but the FEG had no problem with it and the brass was barely distorted (due to a very large extractor cutout in my chamber). I did try a 3.0 loading, which also ran in the gun well, only threw the brass about 10', and didn't distort the cases nearly as badly as the Unique loads I had tried earlier. But at 226ft/lbs, it's nothing I am ever going to repeat.

Nest step is zeroing in on the right load,but it's pretty amazing how with .3 difference it went over 150fps faster, loading in these tiny case volumes is ...interesting. I also am trying some cast bullets from Hunter's Supply in the classic 76gr weight, probably start those at 2.4gr.

Also tried Titewad in a .380, I have another FEG that's identical in .380 with a 4" barrel. A little research showed a .380 and the .32acp have very close useable powder volumes, and in this case (love this stuff) the SAAMI design pressure is 21.kpsi and the CIP is 19.2kpsi. Hmm... OK load it up same as the .32and see what goes on.

2.7gr gave 100gr plated about 983fps, and 3.0gr was exactly the same. So 2.7 would seem to be a limit and I'm going work around this level a bit to see what works. The gun fired and felt fine with both loads and there was no case distortion. I might retry this, as the 2.7 loads were hot to the touch due to sun, and the 3.0 loads were not.

Finally (you guys tired yet?) I tried out a couple of loads in .32H&R Mag. My method here was a little different, I'm still looking for pressure spikes in this powder and I decided 3.1gr with a wadcutter loaded at 1.25"OAL would be my first, then a small bump to 3.2gr and 1.20" then 3.3gr and 1.15". Well, large change from 1.25" to 1.20" velocity went from 892fps to 981fps, then at 1.15" went to 894fps. So there's point where it changes I think, but that point is a fairly low pressure.

Antiquus---Your 38 special wadcutter load(3.2gr titewad) chronoed almost identical to mine with the same extreme spreads. Nice to have confirmation.
    I also ran it in 9mm with a 95gr boolit, but don't have any of your other calibers to compare.

Boolit Master
    I recently was curious with this powder in the 38 super.. I tried a 130 gr RN (the Lee 125-2R) with the Carnauba red lube in the single groove and found that it was very consistent.. Pistol used was a S&W 627 - 8 shot with a 5.5" barrel.

I used two loads.. 3.6 and 3.8 gr.

Components used:

New Starline 38 Super brass
    Federal #100 Small Pistol Primers
    130 gr LRN sized .358"

3.6 gr yielded:

Hi - 1046
    Lo - 1022
    Avg - 1032
    ES - 24
    SD - 8

3.8 yielded

Hi - 1076
    Lo - 1052
    Avg - 1061
    ES - 24
    SD - 8

Yeah.. I was sort of surprised to see the same ES and SD with different charges.. No pressure signs to speak of.. This produced power factors of 134 and almost 139.. so I picked the perfect load for USPSA Revolver minor right out of the gate.. I could load heavier or even a little lighter but really do not need to.. Just for grins I loaded up a batch with 3.5 gr and have yet to test those.. but hopefully soon. Next step is checking accuracy.

Boolit Mold
    This powder is amazingly clean, even when it smokes a bit at low pressures, I get nothing like the soot Bullseye or Unique put out, better than 231 too.

My final loads for this is right where I wanted to be. 2.2gr of Titewad gives me 1038fps average and a 30fps spread using a 76gr cast LFN bullet from Hunters Supply. Damn near identical to the $1.30/round Buffalo Bore stuff, same bullet. According to what I can find, the old Euro police round was 185ft/lbs and a 77gr cast bullet so woot. Powley says this is 23.4kCUP, which the CIP limit was 23.2kpsi, direct hit there. SAMMI's data is 20.5kpsi, but my guns (added a CZ70) are built to the CIP standard.

My other load which checks a little lighter for pressure is 2.4gr of Titewad behind a 60gr Hornaday JHP, at 1127fps, fast enough so the bullet should open. Of the two, the cast bullet is my favorite, just great accuracy and scoots pretty well with a light load.

I am working on a 32H&R load also, currently I have one running 1118fps with the 76gr LFN at 211ft/lbs using 3.6gr of Titewad. It's already at a level I may just check it for pressure and stop, it shoots well, but I haven't pushed it beyond 25 yards yet.

I'm going to end up buying a .25acp gun in some moment of weakness I just know it. Just to work up another load with this stuff.

Boolit Master
    I tried some Titewad the other day with 38 super and .356 heavy plated x-treme 147 gr bullets (which weighed out on average to 145 gr).

I used all new Starline brass and Federal #100 Small pistol primers. These were seated to 1.298" and fired in a 627 S&W revolver. These were 8 shot averages.

2.8 gr had an avg vel of 775 fps
    3.0gr had an avg vel of 805 fps
    3.2 gr had an avg vel of 847 fps
    3.4 gr had an avg vel of 866 fps and the primers were showing some flattening.. so I'm going to say this was an upper limit in my revolver. Cases were starting to be hard to extract too.. If I do any more work with the 38 super, I'll publish what I have. At the moment I'm looking for a good minor load with the 145 RN's and was curious if Titewad was it.. and as I suspected, it was a tad too fast for what I wanted to do with it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Antiquus, I see you are a fan of Titewad in .32 Auto like I am. I love 2.1 grains under a 76 grain boolit at .945 in my Kel-Tec. Clocks a very consistent 900 fps and I can shoot it well.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    How's the recoil compare to factory ammo? I was wondering about the P-32 and how it would handle this hotter ammo.

Boolit Master
    time to bring back this thread as it seems to be about the only tightwad thread I can find , I am playing around looking for a 40 S&W minor load

I have been using 2.5gr in my 38spl load under a 120gr lee TC

I tried 2.5 it cycled the slide and was very mild
    but I wanted just a bit more from it , and tried 2.7 , I think I have found the load for now until I can get a chronograph to shoot it over

has anyone else tried TightWad in 40

What weight boolit are you loading in the 40?
    This is not a powder combination I have tested.
    From the data I can find, I think 4.0 grains would be a max load under a 180 grain boolit. Obviously, you need to start low and work up.

Boolit Bub
    Glad to see this thread. I have several pounds of Titewad from my skeet shooting days. Does anyone know if it can be used in reduced loads in center fire rifles with cast boolits? Can I use data for Bullseye or Red Dot? Some rifles I load for include .222, 6 mm, 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, .300 Savage, and .35 Remington.
    xvigauge

I believe I saw mention of that usage a few weeks ago on this site but can't remember where.
    I did find a couple of links you might be able to use.
    They include some data.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...or-150gr-30-30
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oads-for-30-30
    Last edited by tazman; 03-24-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am running the lee 401-175tc but I think it drops more like 180gr I tried the 2.5 and it was very mild , I looked at the listed loads and seeing 3.0gr was a starting load for 9mm figured it would be good , the primmer was a little flatter than I like so I backed down to 2.7 and think that is about it

I also load the 30-30 at 2.5gr tight wad with the tl314-90swc sized to .311

Boolit Bub
    Thank for the links tazman. This info can get me started.
    xvigauge

Boolit Master
    2.7gr titewad under a lee 356-120tc in 38spl feels almost exactly like factory 130 gr loads

no accuracy test yet but It seemed like a good load

I was ammazed how much different it felt than the 2.5gr load that is a real powder puff load

2.7gr has almost no smoke , while the 2.5 had smoke so the .2gr must be getting it into optimum burn pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    2.7gr titewad under a lee 356-120tc in 38spl feels almost exactly like factory 130 gr loads

no accuracy test yet but It seemed like a good load

I was ammazed how much different it felt than the 2.5gr load that is a real powder puff load

2.7gr has almost no smoke , while the 2.5 had smoke so the .2gr must be getting it into optimum burn pressure.
    I think that sounds right.
    Last edited by tazman; 03-25-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast