Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone like Titewad?

Boolit Master
    Tazman where did you find that data ?

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    Tazman where did you find that data ?
    Sorry. I made a mistake on the data. I was thinking of something else and posted in the wrong thread.
    I edited the other post to correct my mistake.

Bump to update 40 S&W loads with Titewad

One more bump to update this thread
    M&P40 4.25" barrel
    Bullet: Lee 401-175-TC Powder Coated, sized to 0.401", weighs 180g
    Seated to 1.135" COL
    2.5g Titewad
    Ave MV =708 fps
    StDev = 9.4 fps
    Very light recoil, cases fly about 6" up. Very similar to a 9mm recoil

3.0g Titewad
    Ave MV = 792 fps
    StDev = 6.2 fps <- higher pressure, better consistency

3.5g Titewad
    Ave MV = 848 fps
    StDev = 4.3 fps

Quickload says 3.5g generates 25.8k psi which is 75% SAAMI Max.
    I have no reason to go above this because I have powders better suited for higher velocity loads like Unique and PP.
    I like low to mid 900 fps loads for 40 S&W practice so I only use fast powders like Clays, Titewad and Red Dot for low velocity/low recoil loads.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the updated info RSrocket! I've got the same 40, hadn't started loading for it yet, but its great to know what works.

I have a 9mm barrel for the M&P 40 and when I load both 40 and 9 to the same power factor (bullet weight x velocity), the recoil is the same with all other parts equal (9mm mag too). The 3g Titewad load with a 180g bullet feels just like my 120g 9mm bullet at 1100 fps.

TY rsrocket1 I'll be trying your data with my Hipoint carbine in .40sw. I have the same 175 tl mold, use Bens Liquid Lube with no complaints on everything I've tried it on.

I did buy a pound of titewad and tried it in my .45acp. It does use a bit less than Red Dot, for similar speeds, but I'm sitting on 17 lbs of Red Dot, so I'll use up the titewad and revert back.

Always nice to have options.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post

Quickload says 3.5g generates 25.8k psi which is 75% SAAMI Max.
    I have no reason to go above this because I have powders better suited for higher velocity loads like Unique and PP.
    I like low to mid 900 fps loads for 40 S&W practice so I only use fast powders like Clays, Titewad and Red Dot for low velocity/low recoil loads.
    Whoa, where'd you get Quickload data for Titewad? Mind sharing that?

I use Clays data. Yes, it's not the same powder. I load 12 gauge shotgun also and have looked at a lot of load data for both Clays and Titewad and they are so close that I've found that they can be treated as essentially the same powder when measured out by weight, not volume. In fact, several years ago I accidentally emptied my shotshell powder hopper full of Titewad into my Clays bottle and wound up with a mixture of the two powders. I ran a whole bunch of pistol (45, 40 and 38 Special) and shotgun loads with the new powder using both the Clays data and the Titewad data and found my MV's to be right on. I would never recommend mixing powder or using accidentally mixed powder unless you really knew what you were doing and are willing to risk blowing up a $500 gun to salvage $20 worth of powder, but the scientist in me along with the near certainty of success made me pretty confident that this would work.

I have since tried out many loads with Titewad using Clays data and since I like my load pressures all within the "white zone" of Quickload (<75% SAAMI Max), it's a pretty safe bet. My chrony data shows that the measured Titewad loads are 2-3% above the Quickload predicted Clays calculations compared to chronied Clays loads measuring 1-2% above the predicted Quickload Clays calculations.

Good luck with that. As long as you are running midrange loads you are probably ok.
    I just looked at the Hodgdon data site. They list loads for 9mm 124 grain Berry bullet using both clays and titewad. There are substantial differences in the load data for the two powders, both in max loads and velocity. Although they do show pretty much the same velocity for 3.0 grains, the pressures are quite different.

Titegroup is to tightwad as Clays is to ClayDot... confusion in advertising if you ask me. I shoout tightgrooup and clays and never tried the other two imposters yet... but will!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Titewad works in 38 special light target loads and in 9mm with the lighter boolits. In particular I use it in 9mm with 95-110 grain boolits with excellent results. Very clean burning in that usage.
    Others have said it works well in the 380. I have no experience with that cartridge.

Boolit Mold
    I have 100gr. cast going out of a 4" barrel at 985ft/sec with 2.7gr of Titewad behind it. One thing I'm pretty sure about is this powder is so fast that velocities out of shorter barrels are higher than other powders.

Bringing this old thread back up. Anyone else done load workup with larger pistol cases? Like 44 mag, 45colt, 357?
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

This powder would be totally unsuitable for magnum loads.
    Light loads only.
    Full pressure loads with this powder would only give you little if any more speed than the 38 special or 44 special.

I recently loaded some mild .44 mag loads with Titewad, except they got loaded into .444 marlin brass. 4.6 grains if I remember under 220 grain TC.

Had scope issues at the range, all was fouled up, mounts loose, rings loose. Only shot a few. But they were quiet, very mild recoil and and had an audible THUMP on the far end.

I was looking at data for 45ACP today. I may try some loads of Titewad with my 200 grain boolits and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I recently loaded some mild .44 mag loads with Titewad, except they got loaded into .444 marlin brass. 4.6 grains if I remember under 220 grain TC.

Had scope issues at the range, all was fouled up, mounts loose, rings loose. Only shot a few. But they were quiet, very mild recoil and and had an audible THUMP on the far end.
    That's interesting, I've been loading 5.0 gr Titewad under 200gr in 44 mag. I didnt imagine it would be useful at all in long straightwall cartridges. I really like this load for target and plinking. I shoot mostly the old discontinued Lee .429-208-WC. Seems pretty accurate, at least for me.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Titewad would be a cheaper alternative to Trail Boss in that it produces good pressures without generating high velocities. The only down side is that it doesn't give you that warm and fuzzy feeling of preventing double charges because it is a very dense powder.

I just picked up an 8 pound jug a couple of weeks ago and am very happy (mostly for shotgun loading)

Boolit Master
    I've been using TITEWAD powder in the .38 Spl. .44 Spl, .45 ACP, 9mm Luger. 40 S & W & the .45 Colt, with cast bullets. It is fluffier (less dense) than most other powders including Red Dot, but more dense than Trail Boss. IMHO if you are cautious, it is safer tan Bullseye as a small powder charge fills the case more. After charging cases I inspect with a flashlight to check for double charges. IMHO TITEGROUP is one to be very careful with as it is very dense and a safe charge doesn't fill up a case very much (is loading density).

I have found that TITEWAD to be an excellent powder for lighter loads....it meters very precisely; much better than Unique or Red Dot. I have carefully worked up loads and chronographed them; I also keep good records of the statistics when I have used it.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    Titewad would be a cheaper alternative to Trail Boss in that it produces good pressures without generating high velocities. The only down side is that it doesn't give you that warm and fuzzy feeling of preventing double charges because it is a very dense powder.

I just picked up an 8 pound jug a couple of weeks ago and am very happy (mostly for shotgun loading)

In Remembrance
    I am very happy to find this thread. About 3 years ago I bought TiteWad (instead of TiteGroup!) and there was very little data for reloading anything but 12 ga. that I could find. And the store would NOT take returns on powder even though it was still factory sealed, can't blame them.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234