Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like Titewad?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Anyone like Titewad?

Anybody use Titewad in pistols with cast boolits? I picked some up today, the only powder other than magnum rifle I've seen for awhile. Looks like its pretty fast burning, close to Red Dot. I'm going to try it in .32 Auto, .32 H&R, and .38 Special. Does it meter well? Are there any powders that it generally interchanges with as far as data goes?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like my father in law, he is a tightwad. Does that count?

As for the powder, never used it.

Boolit Master

I've used it to load 12 gauge, but that's it. Seemed to work fine in the 12 ga. I didn't miss any more than usual...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I like my father in law, he is a tightwad. Does that count?

As for the powder, never used it.
    Too easy B, too easy! LMAO!

honestly, I have never heard of this powder till now, although admittedly, I spent the first 15 years of my reloading trying to get everything to shoot Bullseye, Unique, 3031, and 4831.
    Still playing catchup.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    A lot of guys on here mistakenly get titewad instead of titegroup. There is plenty of wad on the shelves around her. Have never bought any of it due to lack of data. I don't have time to work up another load for unknown powder!!!!!

"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am so far behind....I will NEVER die!"

Looking forward to people posting any info on pistol loads they have conjured up!

bangerjim

Well, I'm going to try it in .32 Auto for my little Kel-Tec here soon. I figure I'll start out with 1.8 grains under a 75 grain boolit at .945 OAL. If this is successful I'll try Titewad in snubnose .32 Magnum and .38 Special too. Looking at the burn chart and what little experience has been posted Titewad seems very close to Red Dot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I've joked with a friend that he has immortalized by a gun powder manufacturer who uses his nickname for a powder name..

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Well, I'm going to try it in .32 Auto for my little Kel-Tec here soon. I figure I'll start out with 1.8 grains under a 75 grain boolit at .945 OAL. If this is successful I'll try Titewad in snubnose .32 Magnum and .38 Special too. Looking at the burn chart and what little experience has been posted Titewad seems very close to Red Dot.
    Let us know how they fly!

I would like to try some if you have success.

bangerjim

Loading my first bunch of it now - 12 ga 7/8 oz load. I am working on 3/4 and 7/8 oz skeet loads. Rotator cuff rebuild on both shoulders - trying to cut back recoil and keep shooting!

The one plus is that it was only $20/lb (or 14 oz, not sure, but still cheaper). Minus is, it is SO fine it can be a pain. Don't have the A/C running nearby when you open the can!

Let me know if it works in 38 SPC cast...

Loaded 'em up tonight. Titewad meters really well, the .24 cavity of my Lee Micro Disk dispenses 1.8 grains every time. This powder really fills the case well too. Seems like most shops always have it in stock and is one of the cheapest powders around here. If Titewad shoots as well as it loads we have a winner!

I got around to trying the Titewad in .32 Auto today. I worked up to 2.1 grains, which makes an outstanding defensive load, 893 fps across my chronograph for 10 shots in my Kel-Tec P-32. I used Remington cases, Federal Gold Medal primers, 76 grain lead flat point slugs, and an OAL of .945. This is very encouraging, as Bullseye felt too hot for comfort at this level. The ejected cases looked just fine. Of course, I'll use a milder load for practice. Next Im going to see about some snub nose .38 loads with it.

Boolit Buddy

As stated earlier bought Titewad thinking Tite Group. Found a load for 45 in my Lee manual. I use 3.0 gn to shoot 175 TC cast from my SR40. Yes it is smoky and dirty, but on the range, I get nice results.

I find Titewad is very clean burning in .32 Auto, however that's all I've tried it in so far. I really like this powder, it meters great and fills the case well.

Boolit Master
    I used to use a lot of this before Promo was introduced.. it worked great in the lighter than normal target loads in 12 ga.. 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads.. though after a while, I had one lot that would still be burning a flash of powder out the loading port of my semi-auto.. I asked Hodgdon about it at the NRA convention in Reno some years back and they'd not heard of anyone else having that happen.. I attribute it to likely a few flakes building up and flashing over after several rounds.. it didn't do it all the time.. maybe 1 or 2 times per 25..

I was also shooting in the evening under lights so it was more noticeable than during the day.

Boolit Master

OT

A friend of mine is a tightwad and his cousin recently gifted him with some coozies and t-shirts from the town of Tightwad, MO. From Wikipedia: Tightwad is a village in Henry County, Missouri, United States. Its population was 64 people in the 2010 United States Census.

Boolit Buddy
    According to the charts is have seen, Titewad is the fastest powder that Hodgdon sells/makes. That puts it up there with Bullseye/N-310/WST. Probably why it works good in the .32. Its generally assumed to be too fast for big caliber stuff like 40/10mm. Thanks for sharing the data!

I think Titewad is alot faster than Bullseye, just what a little cartridge in a short barrel needs. I'm going to experiment with it in snub nose .38 Special and 125 grain boolits. Wonder what a good starting point would be?

Bullseye actually burns closer to Unique. I know all the charts put it near the top, but if you look at the load data, you can actually get near Unique velocitites with about 10% less Bullseye and still stay in the safe pressure zone. Red Dot is faster than Bullseye and will get you overpressure sooner before getting equivalent velocities to Unique.

That being said, Titewad is very close to Hodgdon Clays in terms of performance. I've used near equivalent weights of Titewad and Clays in 12 gauge shotshell loads and handgun loads (38/40/45ACP). 2.5g - 3.0g under a 158g 38 special, 180g 40 S&W or 230g 45ACP will give you a nice soft recoiling shot at low velocity while still building up enough pressure to bump the bullet, expand the case for a good gas seal and a clean burn.

Titewad is a flattened spherical powder, so flat that to me they look like flakes. It meters very well through a powder measure but it would be a good idea to tap it at each drop because the flakes are so light. In the MEC loader, the flakes tend to slide ont top of the charge bar, but not so bad that it affects the loads to any significant extent. It is quite a bit denser than Clays so it will be very hard to see at the bottom of a 38 special case. Be sure of your charges.

Unlike the Australian Clays family of powders, Hodgdon is not having supply problems with Titewad and I am seeing it show up occasionally in the stores. When I am ready for my annual purchase of shotshell powder, I'll be getting an 8 pound jug of Titewad the next time it shows up. In the mean time, I'm still doing well with my Red Dot.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I find that, at least in .32 Auto, Titewad fils the case better than Bulllseye or Titegroup.

Boolit Grand Master
    My experiments with Titewad show that 2.4 grains to 2.7 grains works well in 38 Special button style WC loads. 3.4 grains works as a good load under a 150 grain Mihec 359-640 HP. Use Clays data and work up and don't try for +P velocities.
    I am going to try it in 9mm under the Lee 358-125 RF, but haven't got there yet.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast